Author Topic: KYMCO Scooter Club?  (Read 6307 times)

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
KYMCO Scooter Club?
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
Is there or has there ever been any talk of a KYMCO Scooter Club, like (for us state side) the Vespa Club of America (VCOA) or such? Club patches and newsletter? I have been in  the vintage scooter club thing for years and would like to see us KYMCO riders develop some club presents. Any ideas?

axy

• View Profile
Re: KYMCO Scooter Club?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:12:49 PM »
Is there or has there ever been any talk of a KYMCO Scooter Club, like (for us state side) the Vespa Club of America (VCOA) or such? Club patches and newsletter? I have been in  the vintage scooter club thing for years and would like to see us KYMCO riders develop some club presents. Any ideas?

I cannot see myself identifying with Kymco so much to wear club patches.
Maybe if it was some kind of parody :) or if I got paid for it!

I was always useless in identifying with groups, so I do not even understand Harley Davidson and biker clubs stuff.

To answer your question, such a thing does not exist in my country.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:52:03 PM »
You are better off with a local scooter club that has no brand requirements.
I would join a club like the Oregon Scooter Club, but I don't have the time.
I did ride with them once and they are nice folks.
I think brand specific motorbike clubs are silly in general.

http://oregonscooterclub.ning.com/

Jiffycake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
What would be the point of a national single brand club?

Unless the main duty was protesting the cost and availability of OEM parts. I would be behind that.
Agility 125 Part out and Complete A50 Motor w/ super low miles.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4718.0

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:49:47 PM »
Im a member of a scoot club im my town its just a bunch of people that love to ride . we get all kinds of scoots .there are no dues and no body in charge we just meet the same place every week and talk about scoots and we ride all over town . and only one rule (  Ride safe )

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 05:04:38 AM »
Orin O'Neill, who writes one of my favorite scooter blogs, asked on a faceborg survey yesterday about this very thang... and now I don't see it. But basically, he asked if it were appropriate to have a brand-specific club/event/rally, and he gave three choices -- none of which suited what I would answer.

My answer would be, "Sure -- it's 100% appropriate, but don't be shocked when others think you're a self-congratulatory pr!ck who only bought your scooter to confirm your own beliefs in what scootering should be."  ;)  To me, anyone who rides or has an interest in riding will benefit from hanging out with others who ride, period.

melodys39

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 03:27:52 PM »
You are better off with a local scooter club that has no brand requirements.
I would join a club like the Oregon Scooter Club, but I don't have the time.
I did ride with them once and they are nice folks.
I think brand specific motorbike clubs are silly in general.

http://oregonscooterclub.ning.com/

Portland Steve,

You should ride with the Oregon Scooter Club more often. I live outside of Salem, where we have a local chapter, but I also travel to Portland to ride with the members there. We have a lot of fun! Check out the site for an upcoming ride, and join us. Tell them Melody invited you!
'09 White Grandvista 250 "Dinky"

Orin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 01:42:10 AM »
Jeff, the FB survey is on the Lambretta Jamboree 2011 event page. If you're still interested.

The survey was the end result of a kerfuffle on a Portland e-mail list, which I'm going to guess is likely to have set a record for number of uses of the word 'douchebag'. Someone acting in the manner Jeff described got a Portland person all bent outta shape (though I think this is someone who was really eager to be offended), and this person reacted.

However, I wouldn't paint all members of make-specific motor vehicle clubs with the broad douchebag brush. In this particular case, it is called the "Lambretta Club USA" and their Web site states specifically that membership is limited to owners of Innocenti Lambrettas and their licensed derivatives. The BMW Motorcycle Owners Association of America limits its membership to owners of BMW motorcycles. The Porsche Club of America, Porsches. Heck, there's a Pontiac Aztek club, too!

From time to time I think it would be kinda cool to have a vintage Lambretta. If such a thing actually became feasible, I'd join the Lambretta Club USA because I really don't know much about Lambrettas, and being part of such an organization would afford access to resources and expertise I probably couldn't find on my own.

When I bought my first Vespa, I joined the Vespa Club of Seattle for that very reason. I met some great people, who I think will be lifelong friends. I met some real dicks, too. That's just the way clubs are... some people wrap their whole identity up in their club membership. OTOH, some are indifferent, but most are grownups who have lives and identities and interests outside the club. They get it.

As for the idea of a Kymco Club, well, why not? Kymco would be wise to nurture something like this, because happy owners are probably the best marketing tool in the world. My impression is a much larger percentage of Kymco owners are scooter newbies vs. Honda/Yamaha/Genuine, and would join such a club for the reasons above. I know someone who talks about her People 150 like it's a pet. I'm inclined to think she'd join a Kymco USA club, if there were such a thing.

When I was in high school, conventional wisdom said nobody would care about contemporary automobiles, even the muscle cars. And besides, you can't restore them, these people said. Unfortunately, most are not around to see what goes across the stage at the Barrett-Jackson and other auctions. I don't think anybody thought there'd be muscle cars selling for large fractions of a million dollars in 2011.

Thirty years from now, that Kymco People 150 might fund your retirement...

__Orin
Scootin' Old Skool

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 05:55:54 AM »
However, I wouldn't paint all members of make-specific motor vehicle clubs with the broad douchebag brush. In this particular case, it is called the "Lambretta Club USA" and their Web site states specifically that membership is limited to owners of Innocenti Lambrettas and their licensed derivatives. The BMW Motorcycle Owners Association of America limits its membership to owners of BMW motorcycles. The Porsche Club of America, Porsches. Heck, there's a Pontiac Aztek club, too!

From time to time I think it would be kinda cool to have a vintage Lambretta. If such a thing actually became feasible, I'd join the Lambretta Club USA because I really don't know much about Lambrettas, and being part of such an organization would afford access to resources and expertise I probably couldn't find on my own.

When I bought my first Vespa, I joined the Vespa Club of Seattle for that very reason. I met some great people, who I think will be lifelong friends. I met some real dicks, too. That's just the way clubs are... some people wrap their whole identity up in their club membership. OTOH, some are indifferent, but most are grownups who have lives and identities and interests outside the club. They get it.

As for the idea of a Kymco Club, well, why not?

There's honestly no good reason "why not" -- I just wouldn't join it if it came to be.  :)  I know a lot of guys who're into the vintage Italian thang and still will ride and associate with even the cheap Chinese scooter riders (I think they secretly get off on seeing whose bike will need a repair, first -- and tell me that's not even possible, okay?). I can't ever be that guy, 'cause unless I won a big enough jackpot in Powerball, I wouldn't be able to afford to pay someone to keep it running for more than a few hours every year... which, come to think of it, describes about half the vintage Italian owners I know, even the ones with $20K worth of tools and a nice garage.  ;)

There are three guys I know of in the area who own Lambrettas -- the only three Lammys I have ever laid eyes upon. Do they swap maintenance tips?  Not that I know of -- but they all read the same web sites, though. None of the three have the Lammy as their sole scooter, btw, but none of them own a twist-n-go, either.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 06:03:06 AM »
There are three guys I know of in the area who own Lambrettas -- the only three Lammys I have ever laid eyes upon. Do they swap maintenance tips?  Not that I know of -- but they all read the same web sites, though. None of the three have the Lammy as their sole scooter, btw, but none of them own a twist-n-go, either.

Also -- all three?  Primary vehicle is a car or truck, not a scooter.

old mod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 08:53:37 AM »
I'll quote Groucho Marx " I wouldn't join a club, that would have me as a member " Classic! ;D

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 12:33:11 PM »
I'll quote Groucho Marx " I wouldn't join a club, that would have me as a member " Classic! ;D
I think for me, it's more the idea of joining a club that seems to be exclusionary vs. inclusionary.

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »
I kind of like the idea of swapping tech tips with people that are into (at the moment, at least) a given brand. Gives you the chance to see the performance of different cc bikes and you never know, you may talk them into taking their bike for a test ride.  But as far as scooter group rides, count me out. I have seen too many bicycle races where one rider falls and there is a 20 bike pile-up behind. And they were very experienced riders. You must be able to see the entire road in front of you to ride safely. A bunch of people in front of you is just distracting. And it seems that the average car driver has a hard enough time dealing with one 2 wheeler. Some idiot pulled up next to me at 40 mph and was videoing me while driving. I braked hard and he was a little irritated, like it was my fault. I would love to meet up with Kymco riders at a coffee shop or diner, maybe some retro-themed burger and milkshake place. But to talk and share video, not to ride. The local scooter club here meets at a bar, of all places. Seems like a bad place to start a ride.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »
If it is local, I will join whether it be limited to one brand or just to scoots.  If possible, I would even join a mixed club, mc's & scoots, but I don't think that will happen.  The more acquaintances I have, the more friends I will have and one can never have too many friends.
UPDATE; I am now not only a member, but I am also a ride organizer with The Easy Riders Scooter Club.  We go on country rides for the sake of the ride and to be with friendly people who have some of the same interests.  All brands are welcome, sometimes  if a MC rider wants to, he can.  Last week on a ride there were 6 of us, each with a different brand.  It is a fun club that I enjoy.

Richard L.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:39:10 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »
A brand specific forum (like this) is much easier than a brand specific club with regular meetings,
Even in tiny Germany with a maximum diameter of <1200km (distance on street) this won't work with the brand Kymco.
There are just to few (local) members who are willing to spend the effort and time - again and again.

In Germany the only brand with enough enthusiastic fellowers is Vespa.
Don't get me wrong, the kymco.de members do meet and ride together, they make an annual meeting (with kymco riders from netherlands or austria or ... too). But it's not enough for a club.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()