Author Topic: is it illegal for me to fit this at the age of 16?  (Read 2531 times)

callumP

• View Profile
is it illegal for me to fit this at the age of 16?
« on: July 24, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p/Polini_Speed_control_for_Chinese_4T_scooters_139_QMB_engines-2992.aspx

i hear this makes me have a higer top speed? also i live in england

i have a brand new kymco will it effect warrenty

blue

• View Profile
Re: is it illegal for me to fit this at the age of 16?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 03:00:04 AM »
only if they catch it in your motor when you take it in safe the older one and if you ever have to take the scoot in throw the old one back in.

callumP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »
can you tel the difference after this has happened? and what does it do the old and new parts look the same

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »
Anything that improves your top speed is illegal in the uk. Your legal to ride a restricted 50cc moped that goes no faster than 31mph. Same as me. Still I do 45-48mph every day to and from work  ;D

If you are seen going faster the police can impound your scooter and run it on a rolling road to test its top speed, dont know how often they do it, but they do. Your fine if you keep an eye out for the cops and just slow it down when they're about. Keep one on on your mirror, thats what I do, and watch for speed cameras.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

callumP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
the roads i ride on are dangerous at 30 mph i live in the country and drive into the city being overtaken at about 50+ mph

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 10:09:24 PM »
The cops wont care, if they see you over 30mph you will get done. Im not so bad cos I can legally ride without learner plates and can even legally take a passenger on my car license cos I passed my car test before 2003.

I know exactly what you mean tho, it is dangerous going so slow. If it was me I would speed it up, well it was me and I did :P Chances are you will be fine on the country roads just look out for cops in the towns.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »
can you tel the difference after this has happened? and what does it do the old and new parts look the same
  you know which ones are the old ones and which is new.

gazza1989

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:25:30 AM »
R you sure its ilegal in the uk? is that only because he is 16 and can only drive a 50 cc and a maximum speed of up to 50 km/h ? because when ur 17 u can drive a 125cc and a power output of up to 11 kW (14.6 bhp) on L plates! im 22 and drive a 50cc iv had since 16 so if i get that de restricted to go between 40 - 50mph will that be legal?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
R you sure its ilegal in the uk? is that only because he is 16 and can only drive a 50 cc and a maximum speed of up to 50 km/h ? because when ur 17 u can drive a 125cc and a power output of up to 11 kW (14.6 bhp) on L plates! im 22 and drive a 50cc iv had since 16 so if i get that de restricted to go between 40 - 50mph will that be legal?

Its illegal in the UK to ride over the restricted 50cc bike unless you sit a cbt test and ride on LPlates or sit your full bike test. I know because i looked into it. I rode my 50cc for a while now (unrestricted) and accept its illegal but find its actually safer since you keep up with traffic.

Im doing my cbt soon as i now have a 125 Vespa too so want to ride that.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »
I agree it is safer to ride at the speed of traffic vs. being in the way. In Fl. if you have a Motor Cycle only lisc. you cannot legaly drive any scooter under 51cc. You MUST have a valid drivers lisc. to ride a 50cc. Not all laws are good.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 01:45:25 AM »
I agree it is safer to ride at the speed of traffic vs. being in the way. In Fl. if you have a Motor Cycle only lisc. you cannot legaly drive any scooter under 51cc. You MUST have a valid drivers lisc. to ride a 50cc. Not all laws are good.

Thats crazy Zombie ??? You can ride a big bike on the bike only licence but not a small 50cc scoot? That doesnt seem to make sense does it? Some laws are just made to be broken cos theyre so stupid.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 03:41:19 AM »
In michigan if you get cought going over 31 on a moped or 50 cc scoot they can make you get a motorcycle lisc. But they dont push it I have been rideing for years going over 40 and never been stoped. But yet theres always that frist time.

gazza1989

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 04:17:46 AM »
i am in the uk and i have sat my CBT so legally i can drive a bike up to a 125cc on road so does that mean i can de restrict my 50cc moped?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 04:56:19 AM »
Go to the drivers bureau web site. It will tell you. It may or may not be a DOT law also.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »
i am in the uk and i have sat my CBT so legally i can drive a bike up to a 125cc on road so does that mean i can de restrict my 50cc moped?

Yes. With L plates tho. And you need to inform your insurance that its been derestricted too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:07:36 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()