Author Topic: Trouble with Kymco  (Read 8499 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with Kymco
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 11:19:56 PM »
I have never tried, but I think you would have to have the engine running first. Without nthe cover, you have no kick starter and nothing to hold the starter motor bendix.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »
Woooooah !!! I would definately never start up my scooter like that with the cvt cover off  :o

The starter bendix has nothing to hold it in place, ie the other side of the cvt cover, the bendix can rattle around and hit your outer variator givng you big trouble. If you need to run it with the cover off i would advise removing the bendix, putting the cover back on and kick starting it. Then carefully remove the cvt cover with the motor running. Only do this if you really have to tho, not just for fun.

I doubt your bendix is the problem anyway, if you look on the other half of the cvt cover you will see a small hole? That hole is where the end of the bendix goes into, that keeps it secure and stops it rattling.

You really need to get an impact wrench and get the variator off asap. Trust me you wil use the impact wrench again, to service rollers, clean clutch, change belts, etc, etc so its a good investment. Besides you dont want to break any more tools, or even your transmission trying other methods. Also make sure you ut some threadlock on the threads before you refit you variator nut or clutch housing nut if you remove them.

My guess is either your rollers are worn right down to the brass and it them rattling,OR, your variator ramp plate is loose on the boss and is rattling,OR,  the plastic guides on the variator ramp plate have worn, come loose or broken. Either way, until you get the variator off and have a look, it could be any of these things, or something else.

Let us know what you find once you get in there  :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:19:08 AM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 01:15:09 AM »
Thanks for for reply streido, it was very helpful. Would an electric impact do? The air compressor I have access to only has like 2.6 CFM at 90 psi. I saw some at lowes that had a cord and was like 350 lbs/ft. 

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 01:41:05 AM »
Yeah,electric would be fine. Mine is 350Nm torque,works just fine. Its only 12v tho so i used to run it off my car cigarette lighter or battery,then i worked out i could use my car battery charger. It gives out 13v so i just hook he clips upto it and just plug the charger into the mains. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190499146513

Ive had my variator and clutch off loads of times with it and never had any bother at all.Just remember the threadlock when refitting cos you dont want the nut flying off when riding  :o
Chaos is my co-pilot.

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 02:37:44 AM »

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 05:18:43 PM »
Did you ever figure out what that rattle was coming from the trans area? Mine does the same thing since I got it, only at certain speeds like yours. I've been thinking its just the variator face plane or cover whatever its called but not sure.
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Hey, a little off topic, but is the first video mirrored or left-right-reversed or are there huge diffrences on the model youve got, and my 08 agility`? :D
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 12:23:31 AM »
Hey, a little off topic, but is the first video mirrored or left-right-reversed or are there huge diffrences on the model youve got, and my 08 agility`? :D

Yeah the first video was filmed with my macbook camera and is reversed. The others are filmed with a flip camera.  And no Kenho, I haven't figured it out yet. I don't think it's hurting it.  I don't know if it's the valves or something weird I haven't thought of. Maybe changing the rollers would solve the problem?.?.?

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 04:24:02 PM »
The scooter should run without the cover on the cvt.  Make sure you hold in the brake to start, like you always do, but somehow forgot while working on the bike.
An impact wrench will get the nut off.  I use it to put it on as well, which is risky.  Get a clutch holder tool and better quality wrench. 

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
Dogov- Yea I am thinkin its the variator face cover since I just installed a 70cc kit in mine and am still hearing the exact same noise at the same RPM's as before when it was totally stock. I'm about to install a new variator soon though and hoping that takes care of it. I will keep ya updated...
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
If its not the back plate on the variator or the plastic guides on it then when you got the outer variator off leave the boss in place and pull out the variator a little so you can check for play on the boss. If its a cheap chinese boss it may be milled a little too small so your variator can wobble slightly on it. I only noticed he difference on mine once I lathed my stock kymco smooth myself and compared to the chinese boss it seemed to fit better. Maybe your is slightly worn down?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mikrron

• at least outstanding !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »
i had a noise like that too .. to be honest 2 times !
the scooter was ok, the nr.1 problem was the center stand! after i took it off i liked so much the scooter sounded that i only put i back 2-3 days after.
the second problem was one bolt from the exhaust. not the bolts to the cilinder but one of the bolts on the right side that was holding the exhaust in place.

check this 2 , i was in the same situation as you, teared all the parts from transmision to find this 2 sh**ty screws.
sorry for my writing mistakes .. i`m only human

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 12:47:21 AM »
Well, I haven't figured out the problem yet. So far I've...
  • taken off the starting bendix
  • taken off the kick start part
  • checked a bunch of nuts and bolt for tightness
  • completely cleaned the drive face, rollers, ramp plate, variator, fan
  • made sure the variator and boss fit flush and everything lines up nice

The only thing I haven't done is messed with the belt or the clutch....ugh
Also what is the stock roller weight? I'm going to try to order some new ones before I go onto anything more expensive.
Kehno, have you installed a new variator yet by chance?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:50:01 AM by DoGOV »

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 03:33:44 AM »
No, and I hate myself for it. That's the last upgrade I want to get done before the end of the season right now. I am hoping that will eliminate the noise. I think I'm going to be going with the Malossi Multivar variator though looks really nice and have heard good things

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 07:24:30 AM »
Dogov, the stock weight is 6.5g. They feel too heavy for me tho so I prefer 5.5g.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()