Author Topic: Cloud 9 ~ Areomyst's LC Super 9 Project (TSG Tuned)  (Read 38451 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Cloud 9 ~ Areomyst's LC Super 9 Project (TSG Tuned)
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 02:49:59 AM »
It is an addiction... Like power boat racers, Always ONE more knot. Always!  Are you going to widen the squish or adjust what you have?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 04:02:57 AM »
It is an addiction... Like power boat racers, Always ONE more knot. Always!  Are you going to widen the squish or adjust what you have?

I'm going to narrow the squish band some, and also lower the clearance.  I will re-measure the compression ratio while I'm in there.  A result of the lower clearance will be lower port timings as I'll be turning material off of the base of the cylinder, so some porting to compensate may be in order, but I will first try it without the extra porting.  The angles of the ports are already quite conductive to a high-revving cylinder.  I've got a good bit more power lurking in this setup, and needs to squeeze it out. ;)

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 06:22:50 AM »
That's almost scary... You're gonna wind up running Nitro in a year or so...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
Extra goodies.  Racing Planet has this new intake manifold adapter out that lets you use any Minarelli manifold!  Now it's (finally) a much shorter manifold.  I haven't done extensive testing yet, but it looks like about .80 HP increase over the MHR one!  Part numbers are NK201.17 and IP13888.

The carb doesn't seem to mind the extreme angle.  I may adjust the float a little.

It's louder.  I still need to do blocked CVT runs before and after, but I don't have much time at the moment.  I will do these things before the next track day though.  I'm hoping to go out for a Test and Tune on the 15th.

~Josh

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »
Thats an interesting angle with that float, ha I always spend 15 minutes trying to level mine out. Seems to be in vain haa
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2012, 02:07:09 AM »
That bike is really just run on a flat track. As long as the tank/filter can keep up the angle is not an issue. On a street ride it may be a different story.
J. In your research did you come across any Dyno software that is just BASIC? Something that can be rigged up at home? I think I do not understand enough about it but am HOPING to find something I can build from.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2012, 03:26:32 AM »
http://performancetrends.com/DataMitePricesOnly.htm#Package_Prices

I don't think you can get any simpler than the Performance Trends DataMite Mini USB.  It's cheap, the standard software will give you enough to do most things, etc...  I have the pro inertia package on my dyno, but it's more than I am likely to need. 

Prices for DAQ hardware/software for dynos start at $499.  Awful cheap considering all else...  I did a LOT of research and was getting ready to build my own dyno (hand it pretty much planned out) and then I found the Dynojet that I have today.  The dyno I bought cost me less than it was going to take to build the roller.  I'm sure that where you are at, there are more machine shops ready to service large diameter rollers and such, with all the marine businesses in the area. 

Look here also:
http://sportdevices.co.uk/dyno/sp1.htm - very very popular.

~Josh

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2012, 05:08:20 AM »
I've seen the Gforce kits... One step above a good butt dyno IMHO. I was thinking a roller was the easy part. The software is the scary part.
Thanks... I'll let you know what pans out.
DataMite description

A useful and highly customizable data extraction tool which can quickly filter, print and export data

DataMite is using a sophisticated visual sql query builder the data can be manipulated in a any way wanted. DataMite is a useful and customizable data extraction application that is able to filter, print and export data to multiple file formats The built-in export and report builders are very easy to use yet powerful.

Ever struggled with a document where all the data you needed was there but you couldn't extract it to create your own report? DataMite report-mining and data translation tool allow you to do just this without requiring any programming, it's all visual.

DataMite can simplify your life, here are some examples where it has been used saving precious time to users:

Translate EDI ANSI X12 files to Microsoft Access database. It all runs transparently without the user's intervention. DataMite can be automated via multiple command line parameters.

Several XML files contained PO information that need to be converted to a comma-delimited text file (CSV).

Step one... Learn what it is.                                                   Check
Step two... Find a bootleg copy   Haaa Haaa just kidding.            Check
Step three  Where can I get a roller?  Landscape roller                Check

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2012, 03:27:45 AM »
Well!  Time for more show & tell.

I got all my bodywork out and ready for paint.  Mike from Street Scene will be picking them up soon and giving them his magic touch.  I was going to paint 'em myself, but I realize that I simply can't do everything as busy as I am.  Mike's a good dude, and he's a hardcore scooter guy too.  I'm looking forward to the end result!  It's going to be all white.  Leaves plenty of room for decals to stand out...

Doing a couple of tests with the new manifold.  I like it!  I'm going to try using the longer rubber section and a more rounded and shorter bellmouth.  The bellmouth should be in next week.

So, I figured I had a small head gasket leak during the races.  The first thing I thought when I pulled the head was "Oh no, detonation!" but on closer inspection, it didn't look to be detonation at all, but rather it was where coolant hit the piston.  At least, this is the best I can make of it. 

Here's the culprit.  With my Airsal cylinder, I had to fill in all the o-ring grooves on the cylinder so that I could use the Stage 6 modular head.  Here you can clearly see the failure where an air pocket was present.  Nonetheless, the scooter ran well at the track, with no breakdowns and on one of the last runs of the day I managed to run 11.086 seconds in the 1/8 mile.

The cylinder still looks pretty good, though the ports could use a little more work. 

Okay!  So let's get to work on that head eh?

I was going to settle with this - a slightly narrower squish band.  I had a hair up my tail I guess, and decided I wanted to try a toroidal combustion chamber. 

This is not the best shot, but you can see the tool that I used to cut the combustion chamber.

It's hard to tell in the photos, but there's a 12 degree positive squish angle that compliments the piston nicely.  I'm somewhat worried that I may have lowered my compression ratio more than I wanted, but I will have to measure this later.  There wasn't time for this at the machine shop tonight.  I hate to "wing it" but that's what we had to do.  No matter - I'm more or less guaranteed to learn something from this experiment, and I have extra "blanks" for the head if the results are undesirable.

Since my old fixture didn't work too well, my very good friend Dan decided to sacrifice one of his expanding mandrels to adapt to my cylinder.  He started with one that was slightly bigger than the bore, and then turned it down to 47.? mm. 

Now the base is turned a bit more, and the squish clearance is where I want it.  The port timing is (of course) lower, but I will run it like this and note the results before raising the ports any more.

Loosely bolted back together, and ready to be tightened up with new gaskets and re-installed.  Let's get under 11 seconds now! :P  Of course, a lot of the 1/8 mile time is on me, so I need to get a lot of practice.

Stay tuned!

~Josh

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2012, 03:33:57 AM »
You and Cloud 9 will be the Ussain Bolt of the 2 stroke world.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2012, 05:31:37 AM »
That jug must make very feelable power. The ports look massive. The exhaust must be 1/3rd more area than my corsa.
I actually forgot you had a body for it. Alot of mighty nice work in that for sure. I drill em out w/ rocks, and pliers.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »
Thanks guys!

Zombie, yeah it's been pretty heavily ported.  The next time around the porting will be better.  Here are some photos so you can sort-of see what the stock airsal ports looked like:

As far as the power, yes, it's quite strong, but I feel like it has a good ways to come. 

~Josh

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2012, 08:51:04 PM »
WOW! Massive changes Bro! Now you got me thinking... again. Ow it hurts sooooo much. Are you using other maps to get your layout? I would be afraid to take that much material out without a proven map. BUT you have about 1000 times the experience w/ these engines. I guess it really does never end. One more hp...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2012, 09:12:49 PM »
Well, it's been a while since I've been on Kymcoforum.  I thought I'd pop in and give an update:

Well, last Sunday Daniel O, MrJoNeS and I went to the drag strip for our final passes of the season.  Everyone did well, and we had some fun!

I thought I would share a photo of my 15 HP cylinder.  Please keep in mind that this is a cylinder that I started porting years ago, so there are some things that I'm having to work around that I wouldn't do the same way today.  The exhaust port has an "eyebrows" kind of shape to it.  It's working well enough for me though, and the next things I want to do with my engine are to get a new clutch (I think I'm going to go with Dr. Pulley again), cut a new head, and do something about the ignition.  I'm still using a stock CDI.  If I can get my hands on an MSD 4217 I will.

So, here's the cylinder so far.  More work needs to be done - especially with the transfers.  I put this together in a hurry the day of the race, so I didn't make a port map of it, but I will do so before I do more work to it.  As it sits, the durations are 194 and 126.  I think I can squeeze a little more out of it with a higher exhaust, but I think I'm going to wait on that and re-work my combustion chamber first.  It's nice to know that there's room to raise both transfers and exhaust though. 

Last time I had the engine apart, I noticed some scuffing on the bore in front of the exhaust bridge.  I used a cratex abrasive to relieve the bridge a little, and also went the extra step and drilled a couple of holes in the piston.  Please excuse the damage to the piston up at the top - remember, this cylinder came out of a garbage can some 6 years ago. :)

I have thought a long time about retiring this cylinder, but I refuse to do it until I am able to produce 18HP out of it.  Someone told me it was impossible, so that's my goal before retiring this one, and starting over fresh. :)

After this, I managed my best ET of the season, which was 10.283 seconds in  1/8 mile.  With some more CVT tuning I'm sure I can get this into the mid to high 9 second's range.  With the head and clutch, I hope to be able to get the times down even more.  Even still, I believe that this is a SLOW scooter compared to many of the high-end builds.  I feel pretty good about how far I'm pushing this Airsal top end anyway.  I'm still looking to squeeze more power out of this, and I'm sure I can do it.

The above photos are at the drag strip.  The scooter still looks a mess after all this time.  :)  I've got the body work down at a local paint shop, and he's going to get to it when he has time.  Looks like it'll be a while though - it's already been months.  That's barter for you though. :)

Cheers!

~Josh

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2012, 02:29:13 AM »
...dang...long time josh...

..thats some good work...

..i wanna ride th cloud!!!

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()