Author Topic: How Reliable are Kymco Fuel Injected Scooters  (Read 12170 times)

Dibber

• View Profile
How Reliable are Kymco Fuel Injected Scooters
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:55:23 AM »
I'm hoping to buy a new Kymco scooter and the new GTi300 is looking really nice to me.  But how reliable has fuel injection been for Kymco?  Is there a pattern of specific problems?  I also have a dealer that has a new People 250 left and may consider that if FI is problematic for Kymco.

Your advice is always appreciated.
Dibber

ts1

• View Profile
Re: How Reliable are Kymco Fuel Injected Scooters
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:26:58 PM »
Kymco had problems with the old 500i engine in cold climates. But with electronic/sensors, not with the engine itself or with fuel pump oder injectors.

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:57:15 PM »
Although I've only got 1000+ miles on my Yager 200GT the fuel-injection has been perfect.  Lights up immediately every time and fuel delivery is spot-on.

This is my first experience with fuel injection on a 2 wheeled vehicle.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200 GT
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
Like Will I also have a Yager GT, and have had no problems with the injectors. My own problem currently is with the throttle -- or something else. The engine and power shudders and jumps forwards as I power the engine from 0 to 7 MPHs. After this initial jump she purrs like a kitten. It's been really frustrating when I'm stuck in traffic. When I'm done teaching my M-F Summer school classes next week I'm sending her off to the dealer.

-Wolf

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:40:37 PM »
Scooterwolf, is that a throttle problem or a clutch problem?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 04:53:08 PM »
Scooterwolf, is that a throttle problem or a clutch problem?

The twitchy off idle throttle response sounds like the typical complaint for restricted fuel injected engines.
It is not a throttle or clutch problem but a computer chip mapping problem.  I know that on motorcycles you can get after market EFI modules, such as Power Commander products.
It looks like TK makes EFI modules for Kymco, but I don't know much on that.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 05:45:36 PM »
wolf i have had the same problem .....with what i have understood as "surging idle" on one of  my efi scooters (non kymco) and seems to be associated with ecu deployment......the scooter will idle at 1500 rpms (on spec) and than jump up to 2500-2700 rpms....than suddenly ....come back down to 1500 again...this happens mostly on start up but i have experienced when stopping for a light ...

the problem is infrequent and intermittent/// but opens up a pandora's box of possibilities....i have 8-9 sensors on the scooter .....you need to have your mechanic take some voltage .ohm readings especially if the problem is recurrent and you begin to loose power,,,,,,one place to look is the pts (position throttle sensor)....but hey could be others as well (i,e, air intake .temp etc....re....clutch.....if you are up yo it remove tran cover(put scooter on center stand) and visually inspect action .movement on variator and bell.clutch....

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:20:04 PM »
Like Will I also have a Yager GT, and have had no problems with the injectors. My own problem currently is with the throttle -- or something else. The engine and power shudders and jumps forwards as I power the engine from 0 to 7 MPHs. After this initial jump she purrs like a kitten. It's been really frustrating when I'm stuck in traffic. When I'm done teaching my M-F Summer school classes next week I'm sending her off to the dealer.

-Wolf
Wolf, keep us informed.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »
Thanks everyone,

I've took the scooter into the dealer this past Sunday. My seat latch broke -- can't close/lock it. which will cause the seat light to remain on and
the battery to drain. Anyway, I'm having my mechanic look at the throttle problem again. He wasn't as concerned with that as he was with the latch -- he's never seen a broken latch before.

Anyway the ordered latch won't be in until Monday (I hope). I'll have a better idea of what's wrong after that. My scooter is still under warranty, so I hope it will cover the seat and the engine trouble.

Thanks for all the advice everyone,

-Wolf

Thelastosirus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »
Hello people,

I joined this board to hopefully give everyone a suggestion about this idle problem that seems to pop up. Without boring you with the details, I traced the problem back to the throttle position sensor (TPS). It seems dirt and grime can carbonize inside this sensor and affect the idle. Most people keep seeing their bike "speed up", when in reality what is happening is the ECU is trying to keep the motor from stalling. If the ECU doesn't receive a valid signal(or an incorrect one) from the TPS, then it simply stalls.

An almost no-cost fix is to clean the hell out of the TPS with electrical contact cleaner while working the sensor through its full range of movement. You only have to remove the seat & storage box for access. It sits on side of the throttle body.

Good luck.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »
I'm sure it is an easy fix it you know what these things are and look like and can find them.  If posible, pic please.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »
I just bought a 2010 People S250. It has a carb and runs great, but Kymco has sold the People S250i in Europe with fuel injection and also a People S 300i with fuel injection for some time. They should have it down pretty good.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:28:18 PM by scooterdude »

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »
Hey guys, I may be totally off base here but i also have an '09 aprilia sr50(which is up for sale BTW),which is e.f.i. I had the "surging"? Whatever it's doing... :D
Anyway, on the sr's, they have an actuall "air compresser" on the set up, i assume to shoot air into the system to fire the e.f.i. When water starts building up, it'll do the same thing.. A "water trap" fixes that problem.... ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 12:18:44 AM »
I'm hoping to buy a new Kymco scooter and the new GTi300 is looking really nice to me.  But how reliable has fuel injection been for Kymco?  Is there a pattern of specific problems?  I also have a dealer that has a new People 250 left and may consider that if FI is problematic for Kymco.

Your advice is always appreciated.
Dibber

so far every scoot I have had I end up takeing the fuel injection off or by passing the gas line straight to the carb so they dont do me any good. they just get in the way and keeps you playing guessing games with your scoot.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 12:23:33 AM »
so far every scoot I have had I end up takeing the fuel injection off or by passing the gas line straight to the carb so they dont do me any good. they just get in the way and keeps you playing guessing games with your scoot.

I think you're confusing fuel injection with something else like a fuel filter, because a bike with fuel injection would have no carb...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()