Author Topic: Complete frustration  (Read 4905 times)

POLSTER

• View Profile
Re: Complete frustration
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 06:42:31 PM »
Will do streido mate!  I did notice a release of air from the area where the two rubber plugs from the carb cover fit, is this normal??  Also if I slightly block off the air intake hose it picks up lovely on full throttle but spits petrol on my hand.  The guy I got it from put a free flow induction filter on it but has left in the stock jet 80 I think, would this make it die when I take it from idle straight to full throttle.

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 06:46:31 PM »
Will do streido mate!  I did notice a release of air from the area where the two rubber plugs from the carb cover fit, is this normal??  Also if I slightly block off the air intake hose it picks up lovely on full throttle but spits petrol on my hand.  The guy I got it from put a free flow induction filter on it but has left in the stock jet 80 I think, would this make it die when I take it from idle straight to full throttle.
Also does the crankhouse pipe run into the free flow filter rubber or not bud?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
If the jets too small then i'd bet thats the problem. Usually I think an 88 jet is enough for a freeflow filter but 80 is way too small.

That air you feel coming out is normal I think, I get the same on mine.The crankhouse pipe? If you mean the one I mentioned its the angled black hard rubber pipe, bolts on to the crankcase at one end and other is clamped onto the carb. Your air filter bolts on to the other side of the carb.

Def check the jet if the rubber manifold looks ok tho, your in there anyway so may as well. If its only an 80 it will never work properly I dont think.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
Streido thanks for confirming my thoughts mate.  Should I be able to look all the way through my idle jet?  I cant see all the way through it mate, had a very light probe with a pin and can only go in one end and the other not all the way through, I was extremely careful as I know it can damage them.

It is all really strange as I started to clean it due to extremely hot fumes coming out the exhaust (really hot exhaust) leading to a black headed plug, which says to me too rich but how can it be if the idle jet is not sucking enough fuel into the carb?

I really appreciate the help you are giving me.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »
Sounds like your pilot jet is blocked and not giving enough fuel for the transition from idle to the main jet. If you coax it with the throttle, can you get it to run up to speed?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 09:37:50 PM »
no it just bogs down and goes to cut out.  I have re-cleaned the pilot jet, and can see a faint gap in it (at least I think I can).  I did notice that underneath the main jet holder there should be a small metal insert, I had put this directly onto the needle then placed it in the carb that way instead of putting it in the main jet holder first prior to placing the main jet in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope this was part of the problem at least.  Ill fire her up tomorrow and see what happens fingers crossed buddy.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 01:39:22 AM »
If you don't put the needle jet in, it will run like a dog.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 12:15:28 PM »
OK guys, with all your help I am now nearly there!  Here are the changes:

New kevlar belt
changed main jet from 80 to 90
Sports exhaust
Free flow air filter (K&N type)
5.5g rollers
oil changed
gear box oil changed
new plug

Just waiting on my malossi multivar and I should be finished.  The bike is smooth to 40kph then bogs I think this may be the restricted bush in the variator?  Also the exhaust, when the bike is turned off, is releasing wisps of smoke and the bike smells really hot, any ideas (valve clearance wrong)? Also the crankhouse part of the engine (where you check your valves)is hot to touch too.
I cannot believe that using this forum and with your advice I have managed to do all this, I have NEVER touched an engine before in my life!

Thanks guys you are all awesome

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
Im pretty sure most crankcase covers will be hot and my exhaust lets out the odd wisp of smoke for a few mins once I turn it off. Dont think you need to worry about that too much. See if anyone else has any other ideas tho in case I am wrong.

If you still have a restricted variator boss you wont be getting anywhere near your potential speed. Im sure the Malossi kit comes with a smooth boss anyway so you can swap it then. If it has no boss you will need to order a smooth boos online, or lathe your stock boss smooth.

That should get you up to over 45mph on speedo prob 45-48mph.

Let us know how you get on when you fit the new variator.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
Can the boss make that much difference?  I am currently only getting 25mph or 40 kph with the mods I have done!  Maybe I need top upjet from a 90 to something else.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »
The boss is basically what is restricting you to 31mph max. I cut my CDI and swapped my boss then it jumped to 43-44 mph. I fitted a race variator, one not as good as a Multivar, and got 45-48mph on the flat.

You will see a huge difference once you change the boss to a smooth one. Until you do that you wont ever get it going any faster top speed, the boss wont let it go faster. Sure the Multivar comes with a boss usually?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
WOW it does make a huge difference then, OK I hope to have it by next week, once I have fitted it and changed the clutch spring I will post back.  Hopefully  that darn exhaust may cool down and stop trying to set itself on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
WOW it does make a huge difference then, OK I hope to have it by next week, once I have fitted it and changed the clutch spring I will post back.  Hopefully  that darn exhaust may cool down and stop trying to set itself on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what on fire thats not good how come.

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »
Hero not on fire literally just incredibly hot on the downpipe.  So I have now fitted my multivar and boy what a difference!!!!  48mph and still going when I eased off, mixture looks good, just got to fit the malossi clutch spring if only I can get that darned clutch bell off.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
do a google search on how to make clutch tool for a moped that might help.
or find a impact.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()