Author Topic: Complete frustration  (Read 4903 times)

POLSTER

• View Profile
Complete frustration
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
Hi all.  I am completely stuck with a problem.  This is it, I have just replace the OEM exhaust with a cheaper racing type exhaust (old exhaust was getting really hot and smoking outside and in), CDI is cut and an air induction fitted.  The scooter is idling ok, but really smells as if it is running rich, strong petrol smell from exhaust and whitish pale smoke.  Tried leaning it off but still have the same issue.  A mechanic found that I had a small pipe off the carb that was not fitted anywhere and refitted it into the air filter rubber housing?  Is this making the bike run rich and the exhaust get unusually hot?  I have a malossi kit coming this week but really need to find out what is wrong with the rest before I fit it.

I would really appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Complete frustration
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »
make sure all the hoses going to the air box and threw out the bike are clean and not pitched any wear.
try cleaning the carb try the little things frist. a clean scoot is a happy scoot.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:55:20 PM »
Did it smoke the same way with the old exhaust on? Did you change anything else at the same time?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:58:38 PM »
thanks for the replies.  It did smoke with the old can on, I have taken the carb off and cleaned it and placed it back on the bike.  The can still runs hot in the pipe and not so hot in the baffler area.

Is there a special setting for the idle jet in the carb as like a fool I just took it out, cleaned it then reseated it!!!!  I know I am new guys!!!!!!!! lol

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:59:54 PM »
forgot to mention that after replacing the carb the engine now runs like crazy with the wheel spinning hence the question about the idle jet in the carb and not the idle screw.

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »
standard idle jet is size #35 but in service manual '#' symbol stands also at main jet size. I guess it should be up jet than!?
If you cleaned idle jet, make sure you screw it back carefuly 'till it sits to position. There is also 2 small metal pieces underneath

idle mixture screw: 2 +- 1/2

if your idle rpm s are high, adjust with idle screw. Clockwise to increase rpm and counterclockwise to decrease   

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 09:33:39 PM »
cheers mate ill try it tomorrow and post back

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »
well guys a quick update.  I have re cleaned the carb and fitted it back, took a little while to start but sounds much better, the strong petrol fumes seem to have gone but it does bog down when I open up the throttle, maybe a fuel/air adjustment what do u think

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »
try a one time seafoam in a full tank of gas.

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 01:34:52 AM »
if the petrol fumes are gone and engine is running fine on idle with 82 jet, but bogging down when you twist the throttle, try:
-change engine oil
-clean or replace the air filter
-clean or replace spark plug and measure gap to 0.7 mm
-adjust valves
-check(I guess you already did) carb. diaphragm for damage
-vacuum hoses
-inspect and clean crankcase breather hose/tube

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
All checked guys but still bogging down, put the old exhaust on bu that continues to smoke lol.  Not sure what else to do, could it be a clogged pilot jet (i did clean it but u never know).  Also the electric starter is having problems kicking it over maybe a flat battery.

Still got the bogging when opening up throttle I am now at my wits end arrrgggggg.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
when you put the carb back together did you make sure the needle under the diaphram is good and straight and all little peaces and the spring is ok that needle has to sed its self just right or your scoot well bog down my other scoot did that it was real pain I found out my needle was bend so I just put a new carb in it one off a 70 cc now that thing moves.

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 03:50:57 PM »
Hero you are a star!  I have checked the needle and it is slightly off centre mate!  Is that the issue then

POLSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »
right enough is enough, I have had it!!!!  Cleaned the jets, again, reseated the needle, put it all back and same thing bogging down as soon as O open the throttle.  Ticks over lovely, tried adjusting the air/fuel screw to lean and rich same thing happens.  I have absolutely no idea what to do next.  Shall I just buy a new carb?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »
Check the inlet manifold isnt ripped at the clamp, where it joins the carb. My scooter was acting up not long ago, crazy idling and big loss of power. The clamp had cut into the rubber manifold underneath and made a hole. The big hose from the carb to the crankcase.

Prob not this but worth a look, check its all air tight too if its not ripped.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()