Author Topic: Should I buy a People 250 S???  (Read 2728 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Should I buy a People 250 S???
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:03:50 AM »
Long story short I am a millimeter away from buying one.  I've read the reviews, like what I've heard and I feel this might be the next step for me in my life on two wheels.

BUT...

I've also heard they have electical issues.  Since there is not a dealer where I live (Tampa, FL is the nearest city) area I'm a bit concerned about maintaining it...I am all thumbs...so can a moron with a hammer change the oil?

I need to have at least 65 mph for extended periods as my commute to work will take me on highways.  How does it handle in rain?  Reviews on the net are fine but in the end it's the riders that will tell you what you need to know.

So, convince me!  Push me that extra step to leave www.zumaforums.net and be an active member here.  :)
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

P250Fanatic

• View Profile
Re: Should I buy a People 250 S???
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »
Not having a dealer nearby might be a deal breaker for me. Oil, gear oil, air filters, and spark plugs are easy enough to change, but things like valve adjustment are a lot trickier and I only take my scoot to an authorized dealer for that. I would also recommend looking at a used people 250 (non-S). You can find them cheap and overall I think they have a better track record than the S. Disclaimer: I ride a non-S and I like the styling a lot better too :)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »
250 S is among the fastest (acceleration, top speed) 250 cc scooters and even faster than some 300 cc scooters.

Regular 250 has 2 or so hp less which is a lot for such low power, slighlty different engine, one front disc and not two, it is quite slower.

250S is made of sub-standard materials (all non-aluminum metal parts rust easily), seat is crappy for long drives, it has twin front brakes which does not show much while driving but front brakes tend to lock easily and then front wheel likes to slide in one side. Low clearance so you are likely to hit the ground with CVT/engine casing when going off the curb. Rear suspension is made for light load so if you load it with more than 220 lbs it tends to bottom out on potholes. Front suspension is also quite sh**ty but not more than on other scoots. It suffers from some issues (for example, mine had leaky engine casing replaced under warranty around 7000 kms), but electricity you mention is not one of them, except speedo cable that dies around 10K kms. Consumption is average (4-4.5 l, add 15 % for lying tacho influence). Tacho is lying 15 % from very beginning. Tends to widen the trajectory when exiting corner heavily which is very dangerous. Very awkward sitting position with toes pointed inward (never saw something like that on other scoots). It is considered to be one of the ugliest big scoots by most people (design grows on you as the time passes). Doing anything mechanically on it is a nightmare, it takes several hours to access hoses and radiator to change coolant, for example, or even to change brake fluid because everything is covered by plastics.

Most likely you will hear none of these because most people drive it "on weekends" and never tried to go fast with it or push it through the corners. I drive it daily for the past 2.5 years, 365 days/year.

So, I would say, if you are decisive about 250 cc, go for it. Most scoots are equally sh**ty and due to layout they simply cannot be made better. Most people are biased and tend to overanalyze things (read threads about oil and stufff like that on the forum), but it really comes to your own personal luck in the end -- will it break soon, what will be the cost, what will break etc. You cannot influence any of that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:22:21 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 01:16:32 AM »
Not exactly what I wanted to hear.   ::)  But at least your being honest with me.   So if I go with a kymco what bike should I get?

I need highway speeds for a commute.  I live in Florida so heat and humidity will play a part in the performance as well.   
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »
Not exactly what I wanted to hear.   ::)  But at least your being honest with me.   So if I go with a kymco what bike should I get?

I need highway speeds for a commute.  I live in Florida so heat and humidity will play a part in the performance as well.   

P250S or any 300 or 500 cc, if you really want a scooter.

I would not buy scooter for high speeds or highway, but motorcycle.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

P250Fanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 02:04:40 PM »
I'd wait until your dealer has both the Downtown 300i and the People GT 300i in stock, sit on both, then ride away on one.

skatin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:36:08 PM »
Tampa area?  You out in st pete?  I just left that area, I'm in Santa Monica now.

I wouldn't ride a scooter on the freeways in Tampa.  Grandma will run you over, then sue you for scratching the underbelly of her car...

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 05:31:39 AM »
New 2009 People 250 S's are going for $3,500, 2009 Xciting 250Ri $4,000, 2009 Xciting 500Ri $5,000 - in central Texas at least...  The Downtown, or any 300cc is going to cost more because they are newer.  The People 250 was made for several years, but the 250S was only made for a few (replaced by a 200i and 300i).  An easy comfort upgrade for the People 250S if you don't like the floor shape is to mount highway pegs.  The 16 inch wheels roll over bumps better and are more stable at high speed than the 15/14 on the Xciting's.  The People is also easier to get between things because it is slimmer, it is less affected by crosswinds, and Givi E21 sidecases snug up to it really nicely.  The Xciting's have their virtue's also.  They are both fuel injected, bith hae more underseat storage than the 250S.  They both offer more weather protection.  The 500Ri exists as a 2012 model - but the Xciting 250Ri was replaced by the Downtown 300Ri (the 500 will probably be replaced by the MyRoad 700i in 2013).

I think any of those 3 bikes would suit your needs well, and will cost a lot less than a current model year.  Sit on all of them and let that help you decide. 
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()