Author Topic: Variator Damage  (Read 2503 times)

aokark

• View Profile
Variator Damage
« on: August 05, 2011, 02:05:20 AM »
Hey again all :-)

So after my scooter was making some noises and going significantly slower, I decided to open up the variator area and it pretty much looks like this

Some of the holders on the metal plate were broke and the rollers had big jacks in them...

Anyway, I guess the best thing is to buy everything new but I'm not sure what has better quality/price ratio. And what should I think of when buying a new variator?

blue

• View Profile
Re: Variator Damage
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »
check out monsterscooterparts.com they have a few you can pick from. more cash you spend the better its going to be.

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
I have a local shop nearby that sells this

http://www.dkcycle.com/item-16272-m-5113790-m-5113790.html

There's no pic but what's included is the variator, rollers, sliders, plate, spring (for clutch I think?), bushing and I think that's it...

This would be what I need right?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:47:53 PM »
That looks like its a Mallossi Multivar. Probably one of the better variators out there, loads of folk say they are real good variators.

The spring will be a torque spring for the rear pulley, prob 1000rpm rated, gives you better uphill speed and acceleration after slowing down to go round bends etc. You need to check what weight rollers you get with it, stock weight is 6.5g rollers. Heavier than that will give you slower acceleration but maybe a little more top speed, lighter rollers do the opposite.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
Yep, your sliders have broken and the ramp plate has destroyed your variator. I have had the same thing with mine, twice.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 05:52:13 AM »
Do the rollers break because of the de-restriction putting too much stress on the variator or cause of something else?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 11:35:41 AM »
My rollers didn't break, but the variator finished up much like yours. I think with the extra power (I have a 47mm kit on mine) is a bit too much for the slides, once they wear and break, it doesn't take long for the ramp plate to wear the variator.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
Do the rollers break because of the de-restriction putting too much stress on the variator or cause of something else?

You hit it right on the nail. these scoots are made for slow speeds and yes there are things you can do for more speed But why if its going to make it worse later. the engine can only handle so much for so long befor brake down.

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »
Alright, thanks guys :-)

I guess I'll try and keep an eye out for any noise or disturbance in the variator area so maybe I just need to buy new sliders instead of the whole variator

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 02:13:18 AM »
Your going to have to buy a new variator now cos yours is trashed. The guides for the ramp plate looks like 2 have snapped off? If they have its useless.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »
Your going to have to buy a new variator now cos yours is trashed. The guides for the ramp plate looks like 2 have snapped off? If they have its useless.

x2 get new

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 01:15:12 AM »
Oh yea I already did, I meant I will keep an eye and ear out for the new variator I just bought. I don't want it to get trashed too :-)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:21:18 AM »
just to keep your scoot up to good helth do a good check over of the scoot 2 or 3 times a year.
with good oil change in between. Im always looking over my scoot because I ride a lot. im in need of a new belt just waiting for it I replace the rollers at the same time.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
Blue, have you thought about using sliders? They are supposed to last longer than rollers.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »
Blue, have you thought about using sliders? They are supposed to last longer than rollers.

Yes I have thought about it but just not to sure. hard times is slowing me down on what I can and cant do.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()