Author Topic: Cup holder and speakers?  (Read 8229 times)

alternatefox

• View Profile
Cup holder and speakers?
« on: August 07, 2011, 03:17:00 AM »
I just recently picked up a used 2007 People 50 2t and spent the first couple weeks getting the buddy seat (highly recommended) and a milk crate affixed to the scooter.  Now I am on to my next two projects... a cup holder and a speaker system.

Has anyone on the board added a cup holder to their 50?  And don't recommend to me the Scooter Logic hanging one... it looks silly and it is way to deep for a can or even travel mug.  Also, I live in Denver, and that thing will bounce right off the hook 3-4 times before I make it to work.

And even more intriguing... has anyone managed to hook up a speak system to the scooter.  I am just looking for something that I can hook up to my phone so I can listen navi directions and some podcasts.

I would be interested in seeing a photo of someone's set up if they have managed either of these.

Thanks,
J

axy

• View Profile
Re: Cup holder and speakers?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »
Using headphones while driving motorcycle is a good way to enhance chances of ending your life on that motorcycle.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

alternatefox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 03:29:04 PM »
Axy, please read the original post before submitting a reply.  Had you read it, you would have come to the conclusion that what I am asking is related to speakers for a scooter and not wearing headphones on a scooter, which I agree, will greatly increase the risk of crash.

So to the original point... does anyone have any experience with cup holders or speakers on their People 50?

Regards,
J

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »
I apologize, but my English is obviously not that good.

I cannot translate this - "I am just looking for something that I can hook up to my phone so I can listen navi directions and some podcasts." - in any other way than using headphones.

I simply cannot imagine somebody having external loudspeakers on 50 cc scooter where (s)he is listening to GPS directions and podcasts?!?

Never saw something like that, never heard of it. I saw in some African countries (very rarely) people doing "pimp my 40 yr old scoot" and putting external speakers though.
Also 60 years ago some Vespas had external speakers and radios.

Now I see that you have "milk crate" on the scooter, so external speakers are maybe a logical continuation of the project. You obviously have slightly "different" needs. :)

OTOH, I guess you are from USA because I realize people in USA tend to do unimaginable things to scoots (cup holders and milk crates are unheard of in Europe).
If you Google "motorocycle speakers", you will find many mods involving those two including sites that sell parts needed to achieve those atrocities. :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:02:44 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

alternatefox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »
Sorry for the confusion... your English is pretty good, considering I had thought you were a native speaker.  

Yep, I am definitely "tricking it out" (as they say in the US) to a small extent.  I don't have a car, so it is more of a utility for me than a luxury, (though I do really enjoy driving it).  

My needs may be a little different as I use it for groceries (milk crate), errands, and the morning commute (hence the coffee cup holder).  I am looking into the feasability of running two 3" speakers from the front panel... we'll see if this project ever gets off the ground.  Until it does, I would still be interested to find out if anyone has done something similar.

PS. Axy, you should check out what some UKers and Japanese do to their scooters... North American atrocities pale in comparison.  What country are you from by the way? and do people ride two up on 50cc scooters there? or use scooters for getting groceries/errands? or is it strictly for the joy of riding?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:59:25 PM by alternatefox »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
Sorry for the confusion... your English is pretty good, considering I had thought you were a native speaker.  

Yep, I am definitely "tricking it out" (as they say in the US) to a small extent.  I don't have a car, so it is more of a utility for me than a luxury, (though I do really enjoy driving it).  

My needs may be a little different as I use it for groceries (milk crate), errands, and the morning commute (hence the coffee cup holder).  I am looking into the feasability of running two 3" speakers from the front panel... we'll see if this project ever gets off the ground.  Until it does, I would still be interested to find out if anyone has done something similar.

PS. Axy, you should check out what some UKers and Japanese do to their scooters... North American atrocities pale in comparison.  What country are you from by the way? and do people ride two up on 50cc scooters there? or use scooters for getting groceries/errands? or is it strictly for the joy of riding?

I live on the Adriatic coast of Croatia, maybe 70 kms from Italian border, so Italian influence is quite strong here.
As you know, scoots are primary transportation tools for Italian urban city dwellers, and it is quite similar here.
The climate here is relatively mild (it rarely goes below freezing), so people use scoots for daily transport, never for the joy of riding. That is why American scooter club stories are a bit strange to me (we have motorcycle clubs here, but no scooter clubs, at least not that widespread, and scooter driving is usually not connected with the joy of riding, but pure utility).

You can see two up on 50 cc scoots, but 50 cc scoots are mostly driven by first-timers in the motorcycle world and kids that are 14-16 (when you are 16 you can drive 125 cc scoots).

I sold my car in 2002 and bought the new car again in Nov 2009, so I spent 7 full years driving only scooters. My gf and I have three scoots and I also had 750 cc Kawasaki.
I have hauled around everything on the scoots, from decorative stones and soil for the garden to two cats in pet transporters on the way to vet.
I drive 365 days/year and even have snow chains.
So, scoots serve purely utilitarian role in my life.  ;D
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

coskier

• Scooter Commuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
Oddly enough, I was mildly considering this the other day too, if for no other reason than to have some music on as I was commuting in.  I quickly dismissed it though as being more work than it's worth.  I did add a motorcycle trunk case to my scooter yesterday though.  Picked it up for $20 at the Mile High Flea Market yesterday (I am in Denver too).

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:01:32 AM »
Check out Bluetooth helmets if you wanna use your phone for nav and to listen to music.

Kragster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:11:26 AM »
For a cup holder, my wife and I (matching Kymco's) use a hammer sleeve from a tool belt. We just added a loop and hang it on the hook on the dash. Works great in the wind, rough roads and I can sip at the signal, put it back w/o looking.
For speakers I have two sets. One is a MP3 stereo incased in a soft pack which clips on the mirror stem. The other is a separate set that telescopes for bass response, retractable link built in. Just aim it right.

Both were from "Fry's". Kragster

alternatefox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »
I live on the Adriatic coast of Croatia, maybe 70 kms from Italian border, so Italian influence is quite strong here.
As you know, scoots are primary transportation tools for Italian urban city dwellers, and it is quite similar here.
The climate here is relatively mild (it rarely goes below freezing), so people use scoots for daily transport, never for the joy of riding. That is why American scooter club stories are a bit strange to me (we have motorcycle clubs here, but no scooter clubs, at least not that widespread, and scooter driving is usually not connected with the joy of riding, but pure utility).

You can see two up on 50 cc scoots, but 50 cc scoots are mostly driven by first-timers in the motorcycle world and kids that are 14-16 (when you are 16 you can drive 125 cc scoots).

I sold my car in 2002 and bought the new car again in Nov 2009, so I spent 7 full years driving only scooters. My gf and I have three scoots and I also had 750 cc Kawasaki.
I have hauled around everything on the scoots, from decorative stones and soil for the garden to two cats in pet transporters on the way to vet.
So, scoots serve purely utilitarian role in my life.  ;D

Cool... I have heard Croatia is pretty beautiful.  Ya, ideally I would be on something a little bigger, but in Denver, CO, once you breach the 50cc limit you are no longer allowed to park on the sidewalk, so a majority of people around here are driving a 50cc... rules, rules, rules :(

I was thinking about why there are scooter clubs over here and not over there.  I am wonder if it is because for the average American, scooters are not the norm.  Most people will have a car and then a scooter for "fun".  So, these scooter "outlaws" band together in hobbyist communities.  I doubt there are too many people in Denver that only have a scooter here (aside from me).

It snows here, but I doubt I'll be putting chains on my tires... may just take the bus those days.
Regards,
J

alternatefox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:47:53 AM »
Oddly enough, I was mildly considering this the other day too, if for no other reason than to have some music on as I was commuting in.  I quickly dismissed it though as being more work than it's worth.  I did add a motorcycle trunk case to my scooter yesterday though.  Picked it up for $20 at the Mile High Flea Market yesterday (I am in Denver too).

Very shiny... washing my scooter is one thing I haven't done yet.  Good find for $25.  I'll have to check out the flea market you speak of.  I would love to get some commuter music.  I was thinking of getting a tiny amp with a headphone jack and volume dial and carve out a spot near the glove box to put it... there is a lot of empty space back there.  It is a lot of work, but I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience.
PS.  If you want to get  a buddy seat... order one from columbiascooters.com to save $20 or so.

alternatefox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 01:50:51 AM »
Thanks for the bluetooth helmet idea... I took a look, and they just don't seem for me.  Plus, they block my hearing more than I'd like so I am going to keep the speaker setup as my goal.

The toolbelt idea is a handy tip too... I imagine I could through a phone or wallet in there as well.

Thanks for your tips guys.
J

coskier

• Scooter Commuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »
Very shiny... washing my scooter is one thing I haven't done yet.  Good find for $25.  I'll have to check out the flea market you speak of.  I would love to get some commuter music.  I was thinking of getting a tiny amp with a headphone jack and volume dial and carve out a spot near the glove box to put it... there is a lot of empty space back there.  It is a lot of work, but I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience.
PS.  If you want to get  a buddy seat... order one from columbiascooters.com to save $20 or so.

Haven't washed it, but it has been ridden through the rain. ;)

zigzag5000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »
I too, wanted speakers instead of dangerous headphones while riding my scoot. The solution I came up with is one of the easiest ones: I purchased an iMainGo 2 portable speaker system on Amazon.com.
This is a great little portable speaker system that requires ZERO installation. I pop in my iPhone, attach it to my grocery bag hook and I'm off. It's not permanently attached to my scoot, so I can take it with me wherever I go. The nice bonus is that it also offer some mild weather protection.
Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/iMainGo-2-000IMA2-MP3-Accessories/dp/B001DJJO2W/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I17DAYBA80LX6G&colid=Y55D1A6Z36Z2

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 08:51:24 PM »

So, scoots serve purely utilitarian role in my life.  ;D
Axy, thanks for the info.  It is good to have at least a little handle on the person you’re speaking to.  I am a newby, never on 2 wheels until June of this year.  I use my Yager for as many trips as possible.  My wife does not drive and will not get on the scoot.  So I drive the car whenever I am with her, but alone, I’m on the scoot.  My English should be good since I live in New Jersey, USA.  I haven’t seen any scoots or mc’s with a lot of mods.  I guess that’s because I don’t see many scoots.  The mcs have their saddlebags and top cases, lots of Harleys here.  They look down on the scoot, it’s funny to see them start to acknowledge me and the pull their hand down.  I guess I’m too old (73) to give a damn.  BTW, retired 4 daughters and a bunch of grand kids.  Now the great grands are starting so I must be getting old.
I’ve been to Italy, and some other European countries, and that’s where I got the idea to get a scoot.  I do enjoy it.  For me; it is the joy of riding.

Rich L.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:58:44 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()