Author Topic: Argh! new bike overheating  (Read 2138 times)

skatin

• View Profile
Argh! new bike overheating
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all.

Just hit 800 miles, did the motor/gear oil change a week ago, rode the freeway for the first time a few days later, took it up to fast speed, now, a few days later, the red temp light is starting to come on.  I checked the coolant in the reserve, it was low, so I topped it off.

The bike definitely sounds different, something is wrong with it.  It's running rough now, serious loss of power, and overheats within a few minutes from a cold start.

I can't take it back to where I bought it, because those jerks wanted to charge me $525 just for the initial maintenance, which covers oil changes and adjusting the valves.  I ended up changing the oils myself.

I'm not much of a mechanic, so will have to find a different service center.  This is really frustrating, it's a new bike, I shouldn't be having this problem.

Oh well, rant off...

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: Argh! new bike overheating
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »
You've got a 2 year warranty.  Keep your receipts when you change the oil or anything else, so that you can get warranty work if you need it.  Keep track of what and when you do maintenance - and make sure you do the scheduled maintenance.

Check your oil level - make sure you didn't put in too little or too much.  Make sure the oil looks right (not bubbly or creamy which would mean contaminated). 

I'm guessing you didn't check your valve adjustments?
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

skatin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »
You've got a 2 year warranty.

I seriously doubt these guys will fix anything under warranty... "that's not covered, you owe us $$$$$$$"

I'm guessing you didn't check your valve adjustments?

Not yet, found a different mechanic to do it for $180, which is the best deal I can find in the area, but his online google reviews are all negative, so...... not sure what to do next.

skatin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:46:32 PM »
Okay, I found a partial fix today.

It was running really rough, like the oil needed to be changed, even though I changed it 100 miles ago, so I changed it again today, and put a high quality full synthetic this time (last time was cheap store brand).  That did the trick, runs very smooth again, but it still wants to overheat.  When accelerating from a stop, the temperature light blinks.  The engine now pings too, it's never done that.  Something is still wrong with it.  I haven't gotten the valves adjusted yet, can't afford it.  Would the valves being off cause it to ping and/or overheat?

I didn't check the oil filter, forgot again, I'm wondering if that could be the source of the engine running hotter than normal, maybe some blockage causing flow problems which causes overheating?

I don't have the money to put the bike in the shop, and I know they will charge me much more than probably needed.  This really bums me out.  All of the authorized Kymco service centers in my area are way overpriced, and have very negative reviews.

I'd appreciate any help with this, thanks.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:13:11 PM »
Where are you?  And, what bike?
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

skatin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:08:13 AM »
I'm in Santa Monica, CA.  The bike is 2009 People S 250.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 05:08:18 AM »
It's pinging?  Did you do anything that could have advanced the ignition?  Anything that could be increasing the backpressure (blocking the exhaust)?

Did you replace the spark plug at 500 miles?  If not then do it now.  Check th plug and look for deposits on it.  Excessive carbon build up in the cylinder can cause your symptoms because of a hot spot - but with so few miles that shouldn't be it.  Look for white specks - they are a sign of hot spots.  You want ot to look light golden brown like a biscuit.

Switch to premium fuel to see if it helps with the pinging.  If the problem started after filling up at a certain gas station then go elsewhere.

Check the exhaust for a dent or blockage.  Check for any air or exaust leaks from the airbox to the tailpipe - looking especially close where the exhaust mounts.  A leak at the cylinder will create a hot spot which can cause a ping and make it run hot and loose power.

Check your valve timing.  If it's losing power due to the valve timing being off then you'll be pushing it harder to go the the same speed which will make it run hotter, which can make it ping...  An exhaust valve not opening enough or too late could be the cause.
Did you change variator weights or anything?  Heavy load at a low rpm can cause pinging also.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »
Not a mechanic but I believe the usual cause of pinging is timing.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()