Author Topic: noisey belt-normal?  (Read 4828 times)

retread

• View Profile
noisey belt-normal?
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
i have about 300 mi. on it now and since new its made a kind of belt slapping noise when taking off from a start. if i take off super slow it does'nt make the noise. just taking off normal without giving alot of juice it makes this noise. is this normal ? does it go away after so long ? seems to run and excellerate fine. any help with this will be appreciated !

CapnJ

• View Profile
Re: noisey belt-normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:47:06 AM »
I've got a noise in my CVT also, it shows up when I come to almost a complete stop and accelerate again. I can't claim that I always accelerate at a slow rate. Performance hasn't seemed to change. I've got 3000 miles on mine.
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:31:57 AM »
On my P250S OEM belt was quiet, the new belt slaps around when idling.
It has the same dimensions as OEM.
Strange.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
thanks for the info! it goes so good i figure it can't be hurting anything. i'll run it up to the 600 mile check up and let them see if there's a problem.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:24:37 PM »
A few of us have what we call a growl.  On a quick take off, it growls up to about 15 or 20 mph, then it gets quiet.  It does not seem to affect power.   :)
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »
I have a Yager 200 with 1200 miles...pretty gentle breakin by myself.  I'm just now experiencing the 'shudder' accelerating from a stop between 5 and 10 mph.  Sometimes just a little.  Sometimes alot.  Seems like a belt/variator problem...not engine related.  I'll be taking it back to the dealer to have it looked at under warranty.

Otherwise, the Yager is a great ride...no other complaints.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

"What are we here for?  We're all here TO GO!"   -Wm Burroughs
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:38:20 PM »
wil b. please let me know what you find out.

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »
No problem retread.  It'll probably be a week or so until I take in due to my ride situation.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »
thanks wil b.  it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before i hit 600mi. would be nice to know before than if there's a problem.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »
I was having the shudder and growl problem when accelerating between 0-7 MPH. Just picked up the scooter yesterday morning. The dealer replaced the gearing weights (is that the right name for it?) and said a few of them weren't perfectly symmetrical (or round). That could have been from wear and tear, or the way they were made.

Anyway, 95 percent of the problem has been eliminated. I experienced some shuddering, but no where near what it was before, and it was only a few times, and not every time I accelerated from stop.. Just rode in from South New Jersey to University City in Philadelphia. No problems. It's great to have my scooter back, though the engine feels different -- like the timing I've grown accustomed to is off, but I'm willing to become reacquainted again with my bike.

-Wolf

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 05:46:13 PM »
Wolf, I'm ready to take mine in for the same thing.  I presume you took it to Mark.  Was it warrenty work?  How long did it take?  I hope I can get him to order parts while I hold onto the bike.  My big problem is that my wife does not drive, so I won't have a ride home.

Rich L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 02:40:22 AM »
Hi Rich,

Yes the warranty covered it all, but it was there for about two weeks. However, it only took him a few days to work out the engine, it was the new seat latch that took so long to arrive. The seat would not stay closed, causing the under the seat light to go on and causing a drain on the battery. I had to drive down, disconnect the battery and keep all the screws in an envelope when I dropped it off.

I know what you mean about not having a ride. When I took it down I walked to the Lindenwold station and took a train back to Collingswood. It seems this problem is becoming common for the Yager. Hey -- if there's a recall -- new scooters for us!

-Wolf

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »
Yeh Wolf, I'll keep waiting for the new scoot.  In the meantime you may have seen that I installed the flashing brakes.  They work well, you may want to consider doing it, particularly since you spend time on The Ben.  I made my first Walt crossing about a week ago.  Coming home I hit 65, (If the speedo is accurate) which is the fastest I've gone, but still not WOT.  But I guess you're an old hand at that.

See Ya,
Rich L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
Hi...just reporting in on the 'shudder.'  I took my Yager (almost 1400 miles so far) on a couple of extended higher speed runs 55-65+mph and the shudder seemed to disappear for awhile afterward.  The shudder came back though.  Seems to me to be a belt problem, although another poster here had the dealer work on the roller weights.   In any case I am very easy on these machines, and the belt and rollers should last at least 10,000 miles before replacing.  We'll see what the dealer says. As delivered, the transmission had a perfect beautiful smooth takeup from idle.

I'm going to take back to the dealer soon, so I can get my complaint registed within the first year of the warranty!

Otherwise....WHAT A FABULOUS MACHINE!  In all other respects, this scoot is a wonderful bang-for-the-buck modern scoot.  My next goal is to take a 200 mile weekend road trip on country roads to the Starved Rock area in Illinois.  Before the snow comes.........

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk 750
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX

scooter65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 12:15:12 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2009 Xciting 500.  Got it a few months ago for a great price because it was a demo with about 3000 miles on it. Anyway after taking a 4 hour motorcycle course in very hot weather I heard what I thought was a noise from a breaking belt. For a few weeks thereafter I had a growling noise on slow starts uo to about 15mph.  I took it back to the dealer and they checked belts, rollers, etc. and found nothing really wrong.  They lubbed everything, seemed much better but occasionally the growl comes back. I read a comment on this forum which I do now each time I hear the noice. While stopped I rev the engine to a pretty high RPM while holding both breaks. I do this for only a few seconds and the noice goes away.  I am mechanically "declined" so I'm not sure exactly what it does but whatever, it seems to work very well.  Growling noise goes away for a few days. Performance has never suffered but the noise can certainly be annoying. I love my Kymco and this forum. Good scooting to all!
John
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:17:00 AM by scooter65 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()