Author Topic: Wind  (Read 2369 times)

quannon guy

• View Profile
Wind
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
Just wondering, at what wind speeds is it unsafe to ride a motorcycle?? I have a quannon 150 and its a light bike so I'm a little hesistant to ride when there is gusts over 30km/h...maybe I won't take it out today.  ::)

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
Re: Wind
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:03:08 PM »
On my Super 8 150, I just had an uncomfrtable experience heading into a 20 mph wind yesterday.  It was really blowing me around pretty good.  Was tough to make 50mph, wnen I can normally get to 63mph.  I learned my lesson.  I'll take the lesser mph roads to my destination in the future given the choice with winds like that. Seems to affect the ride less at slower speeds.
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

quannon guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
Thanks, ya i've decided not to ride...don't wanna be blown across the next lane.

Drbeastmaster

• BALLIN
  • I Wana Party!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »
lol i live in 15-25 miles gust all day, i live in south texas right on the water so we get alot of wind! , all day, after a while you just learn to live with it and its get tolerable, i do remember starting out and thinking wow this is really sketchy!  what i do now is just let off the throttle, correct the bike and keep riding
I Wana Party!! The return of the living dead 1985

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
I've never let wind keep me from riding - but I do try to give myself more room in the lane because it's going to move me around.  High wind on wet roads necessitates more caution.  Crosswind gusts are the worst.  Ride slower, and don't fight the wind.  Figure out what you are comfortable with and practice that - don't worry about what other people think.  You'll get to be comfortable with more and more.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

rperry

• Can you see me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »
Hi the side wind can scare the bejesus out of you. My Super 8 150 gets really skittish on crossing my river bridge in a side wind. I slow down, the scooter handles it better at about 40 mph.

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »
It's no fun getting passed by a tractor trailer on the interstate either. They'll blow you off the road.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
I've been riding over 30 years, big bikes, little bikes and everything in between.  Wind just hasn't been much of a problem.  I think it's more phsycological than anything else.  The wind would have to be really strong to blow you off the road.  I also have not noticed that the size & weight of the bike make any difference although the shape might.  I bike with a big windsheild for example would be affected more, especially if it is mounted to the fork and not the frame.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »
Wind can be distracting.  Don't be afraid to ride in light winds.  The more that you do it the better you will get.  A big truck passing you has quite a wind wake that can give you a scare. 
Not riding in hurricanes or tornadoes should be obvious.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:33:47 AM »
only you know what you can handle in bad weather if it looks unsafe stay home.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 12:54:35 AM »
wind is a pain in the backside but it is part of scootering/biking. i had a side wind almost chuck me into a field (shat my pants!!) but i did have a truck fly past and for a second or two there was no wind and my bike went loopy (30 to 50 in no time) just ride safe and as portland steve pointed out, dont ride if there is imminent tornadoe or hurricane threats lol
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 01:38:37 AM »
I've been riding over 30 years, big bikes, little bikes and everything in between.  Wind just hasn't been much of a problem.  I think it's more phsycological than anything else.  The wind would have to be really strong to blow you off the road.  I also have not noticed that the size & weight of the bike make any difference although the shape might.  I bike with a big windsheild for example would be affected more, especially if it is mounted to the fork and not the frame.

Yeah, thats what I think. I don't remember wind being a problem at all when I was young. Now that I am old it does bother me more. I just use a windshield.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 03:27:12 AM »
the only wind I like is drifting behind a big truck.when the wind grabs you and pulls you in for more speed  ya it feels good. lol   (dont try this at home lol)

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 06:44:42 AM »
the only wind I like is drifting behind a big truck.when the wind grabs you and pulls you in for more speed  ya it feels good. lol   (dont try this at home lol)

yep had that before (Very VERY FUN) lol it just grabs you and you get a slingshot effect mega good.
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()