Author Topic: Alternator is rated at 240 Watt Max at 5,000rpm - so how much is left?  (Read 1483 times)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
I was going to switch the headlight to the Canadian version with two 5w marker lights, add majicblinker modules to the turn signals to use them as running lights, add a BackOff unit, a Stebel horn, and heated handgrips...  Then I found out the alternator maxes out at only 240 Watts.  Eek!

I was going through the shop manual to add up what everything needs (ECU, Fuel Pump, Fan, Carb Heater, Ignition, Display, Headlight (55/60), Taillight (5/21 stop)) - but most aren't listed.  Has anyone ridden around with a multimeter hooked up to see how much the bike uses on average, or how much is left over? 

I already have the majicblinkers and the Stebel.  With the majicblinkers on the turn signals (er - Winkers) I'd be adding 40 watts to the load (4 x 10).  The 240 Watt max explains why they use 10w bulbs in the blinkers instead of 21.  I think I'll switch those to LED clusters so they'll be brighter and use a lot less wattage.  I found the Canadian spec headlight for $114 - but I'm going to hold off on that (the majicblinkers add visibility front and back anyway).

I get the feeling that heated handgrips and vest are out (too hot to worry about them now anyway).  But I think a Kuryakyn LED Battery Gauge needs to get onto my shopping list. 

Has anyone added too much and have to back off?  If so - how much was too much?
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

k12smitty

• New to the scooter world, but loving it so far.
    • View Profile
JWTR, Did you ever find out how much wattage you could add to the load on your scooter? I just purchased a new '09 Xciting 500ri and am wondering the same thing. Thinking of adding an autocom for bike to bike com and maybe a hook up for a Gerbing's jacket.
Thanks,
Steve in GA
Ride Safely,
Steve
'09 Xciting 500 Ri
'09 People 200 S
'09 BMW K1200LT
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'05 KLR 250
'97 BMW K1100LT

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
I added the majicblinkers before I got the LED bulbs - and under normal riding conditions the battery was draining.  When my LED's came in - I hadn't realized that the front and rear turn signals were different.  With 2 replaced it was charging rather than draining.  So, under my stop and go, around town riding - I had bewtween 20 and 40watts to play with. 

Add a battery gauge so you'll know if you need to turn down your vest or turn stuff off - and keep it at 40w or below.

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

k12smitty

• New to the scooter world, but loving it so far.
    • View Profile
JWTR, Thanks for the info. If I remember correctly the Gerbing's jacket I have draws 77 watts. I am not sure if it draws the full 77 watts if the thermostat (rheostat) is on a lower setting. Any ideas on where to get a battery monitor like you are talking about?
Thanks,
Steve
Ride Safely,
Steve
'09 Xciting 500 Ri
'09 People 200 S
'09 BMW K1200LT
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'05 KLR 250
'97 BMW K1100LT

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()