Author Topic: belt too long?!?!!?  (Read 12427 times)

bmcafee

• View Profile
belt too long?!?!!?
« on: August 11, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
I know there was another thread on belts but i didnt want to thread jack. mine blew apart last night so today i read the other thread befor going to the parts store and thought I got the right size for 12 inch wheel 729mm length but when I went to slap it in I noticed that it is touching the casing around the the back side so I think if I were to ride it with this it would get destroyed, possibly jacking something wlse up in the process. Really confused any idea's would be awesome. oh and my ag does have the 12 wheels just remeasured.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: belt too long?!?!!?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:18:47 AM »
Hey man, what do you mean "touching the casing on the back side"? The rear pulley(@ the clutch?).
It'll go inside down into that pulley so that shouldnt matter. If i'm not mistaken, my homey has a 748 that he uses.....
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 01:29:04 AM »
just stick with the stock size be safe then sorry.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:43:17 AM »
Batman,
It is touching on the case above and below the pully there is enough slack I am afraid that if it does settle into the pulley that there will be WAY to much slack and not be able to get any kind of frictioin off of the drive boss, like the boss will spin but not the belt. as it is already making contact.
Blue,
 the stock one broke and I was told this was the replacment for the stock one. Thats what my problem is, I cant messure the old on due to it falling apart at 43mph there is not much left. so my issue is what size to get.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »
Stock length is def 729mm for agility with 12" wheels. I ordered a new belt not long ago, 729-18-30, but it doesnt feel right so I refitted my old stock belt for now.

Im sure the 18mm wide is too wide for me, top speed was limited cos it wont go right down into the bottom of the rear pulley, and it just felt rough. When I compared new belt to old stock belt, the new one was a good 2mm wider. I ordered a 729-17-30, once it arrives I will try that, hopefully it will work well.

Some sites list a50 belt as 18mm wide, some say 17.7mm, others 17.5mm. I emailed Kymco the other day to ask them exactly which size they recommend, no answer yet but will let you know what they tell me.

729mm long IS he correct length tho.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »
I noticed that It was not wasy to fit the old belt in I had always had problems, I would have to pre load it in the pully, maybe the old belt was too short idk I will tighten everything togeather today and see what it does when it is running and just keep my finger crossed. Wish me luck ill keep posted.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Its normal to have to pull the belt into the rear pulley, I cant get my belt on if I dont. You can get a magic marker and draw a few lines on the variator face if you want to double check. Draw a line out from the centre to the edge then go for a run and re-check it. The belt will rub the marker pen off the variator as it raises up and down so you can see if it rides all the way up to the edge if all the pen has rubbed off. Just as long as you are derestricted that is.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:23:03 PM »
So with the new belt I still feel that it might be too long but I took it for a test run today seems to be fine. Just nervous about the different from the old and new I think the old one way have been 699mm and the new is 729mm. went from 8gr weight down to 7 and wow what a difference. havent been able to take it on a strech of road long enough to see how it effected top end but still optomistic, climbs hills much better. Thanks for all the imput guys ill update this if it shreads in the next week but hopefully not.
Thanks again,
Brian.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 11:36:10 PM »
You could take the new belt off again and compare it to the old belt if you still have it?

Think 699 belt is stock for a scooter with 10" wheels.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »
I know the size difference is determinded by wheel size. I cant compare the old one due to it shreaded at 43 so there was only one piece that was longer and an inch. I can tell froim placeing the belt it that is is alot bigger than the original. I used to have to load the belt into the pulley and even then it would barely fit onto the boss. The new one slides right on with a ton of slack. I am about to recheck the belt I took it for a ride of about 5 miles and i think it is slapping the outter casing from the sound. will update.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:50:51 AM »
I was wrong on one thing guys, my homey is running a 729 belt, he purposely bought a 729 for a hair extra length...729 is gooooood.. ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 03:00:33 AM »
yea there is ware I think I got the frankenstien special I deff need the 699mm belt even though I have 12 inch wheels. The total sound of the bike is different at speed and I can feel a new vibration from the back. There is also a not so friendly sound that is makes when i cut off the engine. I would love if I could find a 709-18-30. it would be nice having an extra cm but I have way too much right now. I think I can use this sparingly untill I can get a new part in next week.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 06:02:08 AM »
Try a zx50 belt, I think the part no. is kcx9000, about 724mm, might be a happy medium.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Just put a big rubber band around it. wind it up and let it go>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. ;D ;D

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 06:42:31 PM »
after researching I was wrong its not 699mm its 669, so I ordered that it was 25$ "US" with shipping so not too bad they had it on special its a gates power link. oh and blue wish I could at this point I think it would be more reliable I have been replacings thing one by one since purchasing the scoot. price of scoot 440 total invested close to 1850... a few more parts and I will have a brand new scoot LOL.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()