Author Topic: belt too long?!?!!?  (Read 12426 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: belt too long?!?!!?
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
What is the part no. on your belt?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
Just for a point of reference, I just measured my stock kymco/bando belt, and I measured 733 mm.  So taking into account a tiny bit of stretching and possible variation in measurement technique I'm fairly confident my stock belt is or was the correct 729 mm.  The P/N on the stock belt is 23100-KEB7-9000.  I didn't have a problem with this belt, it's my spare for now.  I'm just posting for others benefit. 

Later today I'll measure my current Gates belt and compare.  I'll also use steido's magic marker technique on my Polini race variator and post back the results.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
Think I measured my old belt and it as a mm or 2 over the 729, eiher down to bad measuring or a little stretching, still worked fine tho.

Would love to take the credit fo the magic marker test but im sure it waw sid who told me about it a while ago. Very useful and simple test tho, I advise everyone to try it at least once to make sure your gettng the full range out of the variator.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: belt too long?!?!!?
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2011, 02:12:49 PM »
I think a couple of mm is normal for a bit of stretch, but 810mm is too long.
I shall take no credit, I think it was Shaka who introduced this idea.

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »
Ok the Gates Powerlink 729-17.5-30 actually measured about 723 mm compared to the kymco/bando P/N 23100-KEB7-9000 733 mm.  I tested the magic marker method with both belts the Gates Powerlink left about 6 mm of marker on the variator, while the kymco/bando left about 4 mm of marker on the variator.  I put the stock belt back on. But I guess this shows that the race variators can indeed benefit from a 748 mm belt.  So I guess my next purchase will be the Polini 748 mm belt.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »
Not me blue, I am running stock belt now and have a 729 and a 732 belt for spare. :)
Would like to try a 748, but that will have to wait until next time I have a spare parts buying urge.

Correction, I was not running the stock belt, I was in fact running the Dayco 732x18.5, the extra width was causing a loss in performance. i have put in the Gates powerlink 729x17.7 belt and it comes almost to the outer edge of the clutch pulley, it measured around 724mm?, i don't get this as I measurede my stock belt at 715mm, last time I measured that one it was 724 from memory. I think I may have used a different tape this time so that could be it.
Thanks for the crank to clutch measurement, mine is 247mm.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
That gates powerlink belt sounds like the one I got that was short.Belt I got was a 729-17.7 belt too only it measured 716-17.7 so was way too short, I saw on the variator it was nowhere near the top and the acceleration was a joke, it got stuck in too high a gear and had no power.

You would think if a belt is listed as 729 then that is how long it would be, mine was only 716 long.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
Streido where did you get the short belt from? That length would work better than the 729-18.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »
Got it from ebid, here's a link, http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/gates-powerlink-729-17-30-cvt-belt-for-50cc-gy6-engine-39148682.htm

Says its 17mm wide but its 17.7mm.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »
BACK UP AND RUNNING BABY!!!!    I took a gamble and tried the molossi kevlar belt and it is a hair long but I think that it'll be all good, running like a top. just have to replace the speedometer cable again... after I can put in the new jet and iridium plug. Thanks guys still cant figure what went so wrong with that other belt.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:49:24 PM by bmcafee »

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: giving the engine gas after kick start kills it
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
Just a dodgy belt.

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2011, 02:46:33 AM »
I had idea to try a few more belts and put some old belt from my brothers Sym Jet euro x 50 2T. it's 737x18 (correct measurements) but had worn to 16.5 mm in width(18 mm new). worked fine but had spots in acceleration and this unpleasant fealing at top speed that something is holding me back.
so, I decided to buy the same new one made by Bando for 25$. Installed stock variator and clutch spring and I was very happy with result. Constant acceleration and very decent max speed (80 km/h) with 5.7 gr rollers.works fine on malossi kit too.

also, somewhere I suggested Vicma/Dynaflex 740! It's rubbish! a friend of mine bought it and I instaled it on his ag 50.
at 5.500 km on this belt it was almost desintegraded and making some soft grinding/squeaking noise. Performance was ok but made some violet heat marks on the front movable pulley. 

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2011, 05:58:55 AM »
Woodcutter my problems were worst than the I couldnt stop without the scoot shaking the fillings out of my teeth and the belt was audibally making contact, when you hit a bump I could hear and feel it bind. Also the rpm's were higher felt like i put in 2 gram ligthter rollers, so i couldnt top it out without feelig like i was going to blow the motor. Bando was no good for me. deffinatly bad part.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: giving the engine gas after kick start kills it
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2011, 06:20:03 AM »
Yes, you definately got a bad belt, but, I wouldn't write off Bando as they do make the genuine belts for Kymco.

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2011, 11:04:42 AM »
bmcafee, as you described it, the belt is 100% too long or streched. I had some heavy vibratios coming through the floor on top speed with 748 belt but on oem variator and torque spring.  it's smooth on malossi kit.
clunking against cvt cover and sticking when braking to stop/erratic and slow start suggest too long or not enough flexible belt.

sidesloth is right. don't write off bando cause it's oem and as I could see they're making quality rubber.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()