Author Topic: belt too long?!?!!?  (Read 12891 times)

Encya

• View Profile
Re: belt too long?!?!!?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »
Enya, Its more the length thats the problem, the belt is nearly 1.5cm's shorter than it should be. Says 729 on it but its only 716 long.

Yeah I know.  This is the replacement belt I use:http://www.scooterbelt.com/gapo72cvtdrb.html which I believe has ALL of the same dimensions as the stock belt.  Polini recommends the use of this belt with their variator:http://uk.catalogo.polini.it/catalogo/en/risultato.php?op=po&id=86719, which if you look at their chart here:http://uk.catalogo.polini.it/dep/polini_ric_cinghie.pdf has the dimensions as 745x17.8x30. I'm thinking that I should have purchased this belt in order to get the full performance out of my variator.  It also makes me wonder if all of us using malossi, ncy or polini variators should be using longer belts than the stock 729mm?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »
@Encya, that Gates Powerlink is the exact same belt I ordered, same numbers printed on it too. If your ever in the cvt cover give it a measure will you and let us know how long it is? Mine is only 716mm long round the outside of the belt? Better make sure yours is not too short too cos it will badly affect performance.

A 729mm long belt goes all the way up to the top of my variator, I checked it already. Draw a couple of lines on your variator face, from the centre out to the edge, with a magic marker. Now when you ride your scoot the belt will ride up the variator and rub off the marker. Take it up to full speed then stop, let it cool down, and check variator to make sure your belt goes right to the edge of the variator.

Like I say, that is the exact belt I got and I found it too short. My a50 has 12" wheels maybe you have 10"?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »
Nope I have 12's.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 04:25:39 PM »
The only explanation is that the belt I got has been marked wrong at the factory then ???

I measured it at 216mm and when I sat my stock kymco belt beside it you can see its physically shorter.

I emailed the seller to ask for a replacement the correct size or a refund so see what luck I get there.  ::)

Chaos is my co-pilot.

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 11:11:02 PM »
The only explanation is that the belt I got has been marked wrong at the factory then ???

I measured it at 216mm and when I sat my stock kymco belt beside it you can see its physically shorter.

I emailed the seller to ask for a replacement the correct size or a refund so see what luck I get there.  ::)

The bigger question for me is, should all of us w/performance variators be running longer belts than the the stock 729 mm?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 09:47:47 AM »
Do the magic marker thing on your variator to check it rides all the way to the top, mine does on a 729mm belt so its fine for me.

To send dodgy belt back for a refund.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2011, 12:37:32 AM »
IM doing good with my new belt and 6 gram rollers its a slower start but the top end is great.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »
This freakin sucks! 724 is a mile too long and 669 the only other size is a mile short and I cant find anything in the middle that is the proper width and angle. and it is running like a dog with the long ass belt but its all i can use.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 01:53:13 AM »
To bad we cant find a belt like we can are clothes.  ( One size fits all)

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 03:56:40 AM »
it really sucks ive noticed with the new belt the scoot is idling higher so it really rough stopped at lights. I dont know if that is caused by the width of the belt or not. I notice that is make a bad clunk noice in the cvt case on shuting down the motor. Also while riding the belt either gets stuck or slips out it makes a sound like brrrrrr and slows down slightly then continues accelerating. any idea's are welcome I ust got in a new carb jet and im about to replace the spark plug with the cr7hix iridium plug. what do you guys think about still running the scoot with the longer belt. Can it cause damage to the variator of cam? I asssumed that it is safe, but the more I think about it the more unsure that i become. Just stuck on this and really lost..... think im buying a new scoot in october if this one can make it there it would be awsome, just seems like a never ending money pit.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 09:03:38 AM »
I thought you had a 729 belt? By the sound of the "clunk" when you shut down, I would suggest having a good look at your variator, as  it sounds like something is loose, though that could be caused by the belt being too long. Have you measured the belt with a tape?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: belt too long?!?!!?
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
Another thought, next time you have your cvt cover off, can you measure the distance from the centre of the crankshaft and the clutch shaft.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
Thats totally weird  ??? It must run either a 729 or a 699 belt, as far as I know thats the only 2 lengths the a50 uses?

Im with sid, take out the new belt and physically measure it round the outside yourself with a tape. I ordered a 729-17.7-30 gates powerlink belt a couple of weeks ago now, fitted it in and my scooter went to sh**. After a lot of head scratching I finally took the new belt back out and measured it. Turns out it was only 716 long even tho is clearly has 729 stamped on it. Maybe it was just a bad belt or a factory mistake, but it pissed me off until I figured out why it was running so bad. Maybe you got a similai issue there so worth measuring the belt yourself to be sure its correct.

Also check the rear pulley when you take the belt out, make sure the 2 rear faces or the pulley are secured and not loose. I recently had the inner face come away from the backing (in front of the torque spring) it wasnt noticable with the belt on cos that held it in place but after I took the belt off I saw it. Had to fit a complete new rear pulley assembly  :(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: belt too long?!?!!?
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »
Where did you get your pulley from? I only found half pulleys.

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 05:14:54 PM »
The belt may have stretched a bit over time as well, just a thought
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()