Author Topic: Any known baskets that will attach/fit on the People 50?  (Read 2268 times)

donut

• View Profile
Any known baskets that will attach/fit on the People 50?
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:00:49 AM »
I know these are in other countries...
I have a 2004 and want a basket? on the front for groceries, etc.
Anyone ever come across something that would fit?

Thank you.

PS I do have a givi box but need to track down the part/plate that attaches to the scoots tail.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 04:06:22 AM by donut »

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: Any known baskets that will attach/fit on the People 50?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:50:37 AM »
If you don't find something that will mount without modification - then you might consider a "Bontrager Simple City" basket.  It's made for bicycles, but sturdier than any other bike rack I've found.  Here's what it looked like on the front of my Zuma 125.

Cost right at $100 through "Specialized" bicycle dealers, and I've mounted them to all sorts of bikes.  I'll probably put a backrest and a basket on the back end of my 500Ri rather than a case.  The baskets are just more convenient for me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:53:39 AM by JustWantToRide »
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

donut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »
that's a great basket
Have you seen the People 50 to have an opinion if it will mount?

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:38:29 PM »
The basket comes with 4 positionable legs which can be bent or cut short with new holes drilled to some extent.  I haven' looked under the front cowl of a People 50 - but this is the rack I have been able to mount on more bikes than any other.  I would look under the cowl (below the signals) for a sturdy place to mount a set of legs, and at the screw above the front grill to mount a rubberized hose clamp around the frame of the rack (BoatUs sells then in stainless).  Then have 2 of the legs come over the top of the cowl to the 2 screws that mount the bodywork (add a rubber washer to protect your bodywork - or use double sided 3m tape to protect and help hold).  

You'll have to do a bit of fitting work to bend the mounts to where you can use them on your bike, and possibly need to buy a piece of metal strap from home depot to use instead - but short of finding someone who makes a basket for your bike this one is the one I've found to be the most adaptable.  If you don't feel you can mount it on the front - then it is really easy to dremel off the mounts, repaint the bottom, and use heavy duty zip ties to mount it to your rear rack (use 3m double sided tape where it contacts your rack to protect your rack and to quell vibration).  Having it on the front was nice to see the stuff and know it was secure - but mounting it onto a rear rack is much easier.  I actually mounted one to the back rack of my Zuma first - but moved it to the front while mounting a backrest for my passenger.  I then added another rack to the tail rack of the Zuma - but I never took pictures.  The Zuma got a lot of compliments on the rack regardless of where I had it mounted, and it was more usefull on the back than a case because it allowed me to stand groceries up and hold them in place with a bungee net -carrying more than would fit in a case (plus the cases get hot inside).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:41:58 PM by JustWantToRide »
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:03:19 AM »
Here is a cheap option for carrying groceries, http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/p/5662/28850.aspx
Chaos is my co-pilot.

donut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Well, I have bike stores galore where I live, including 2 Trek concept stores.
I called at least a dozen with no luck finding this model in stock.
Unfortunately one store owner shared the Simple City 8 bike (which featured this basket) was a flop and has been discontinued in 2011.
He thought the basket run was quite low and would be difficult to find.
He also said he chose not to carry this basket as the weight is excessive (10#), too heavy for a bike.
I sent an email to try and locate a basket, but if this is a model you want to buy more of, I suggest you consider sooner than later.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 10:01:13 PM »
The basket is made from aluminum tubing and weighs under a pound with all of the mounting hardware. 

I just talked to my dealer though and he doesn't list them in stock anymore.  I just bought 2 of them a month ago - if I'd have known they were being removed I'd have bought all that I could get my hands on (I've mounted them on scooters, motorcycles, bicycles, and catrikes).  I've had them in sand, white and several in black.  I was going to get another white one to mount on the rear rack of my Xciting.  I've got one black one left that I've already ground the mounts off of - I guess I'll be using it...

Sooo - nope - I don't know of any baskets that will work on your people 50...  :(
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

donut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »
So if I find one is $100 the price?

and thank you for clarification on the weight, obviously the shop owner was off on this fact.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
Yeah - I paid $100 for each of mine.  I looked at tons of baskets that were made for scooters or bicycles (and bought several that I didn't like).  If you find some in stock then let me know - I really want at least one more.  If I find any I'll repost.

The other Bontrager bicycle baskets are a bit heavier duty than any others I've found, with Kettler coming in a close second.  I haven't found any baskets made for scooters that weren't just a plain wimpy wire basket - I'd buy one from the container store before using one of them.

For my white Xciting I might have to use something like this 12 7/8 x 20 3/4 x 3 1/4 Elfa basket.  Cut a poly cutting board to fit between it and the stock rack to support it and to protect the rack.  It won't look quite as good, but...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:54:23 PM by JustWantToRide »
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()