Author Topic: HELP!! Scooter dosnt rev up right..  (Read 704 times)

Rick0o07

• View Profile
HELP!! Scooter dosnt rev up right..
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
HELLO!!
Soo im having problems with my scooter... 1st of all ive let my scooter sit for about a year and now it isnt reving right.. At 1st i had problems starting it up ..soo after cleaning the carb and cleaning the fuel filter and adding new clean gas i got it going.. However, when i get it running it runs a lil off but after warming it up it goes away.. soo now, when i hit the gas it revs up but then slowly begins to rev back down and some time shutting off by itself while i hit the gas...anyone got any idea??  Ive cleaned the carb, changed the plug..now i dont know why its going that..

Thanks!!

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: HELP!! Scooter dosnt rev up right..
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:21 PM »
Many new mechanics have to clean a carb 3 times before they get it really clean!  There is a Pine Sol soak method that is very popular.

Or try using a fule cleaner additive like Sea Foam.
Add it to the gas in the specified amount and ride 2 or 3
tanks full to get the most cleaning.  Not as good as
a mechanical cleaning, but it does help.  Over a period
of months, my DH has used Seafoam, Berryman's B12 and
Chevron Techron and has gotten his Nighthawk carbs to running well.

Now, you know to add gas stabilizer to your fuel for  storage. 
We use Sta-Bil but Startron is getting a lot of press.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: HELP!! Scooter dosnt rev up right..
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:14:46 AM »
I agree with MaryK that the carburetor may still be dirty.  Did you set your float and needle properly after cleaning it? 

Check the plug.  I have a feeling it is going to be dark from choking.

If you have a charger - then charge the battery to make sure that a weak battery isn't contributing to the problem.

Add some Sea Foam and try starting it on the center stand.  If you get it to start - then try only using partial throttle and see if it stays running.  Get it running on the center stand and run it for a minute - trying to rev it just a little higher.  Don't get it too hot though.  Then get on it and ride - keeping the throttle wherever it seems to be responding best.  Sometimes all it takes is to get it started and ride it at the throttle it runs best - and it will clean itself out.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()