Author Topic: What is the highest RPM you've gotten to?  (Read 2854 times)

Goodrich

• View Profile
What is the highest RPM you've gotten to?
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:12:36 PM »
The most I ever got was 8100 RPM.  The owner's manual says peak HP comes in at 8500 RPM so how is it that i'm only getting 8100 ?  Am I missing something ?

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
Re: What is the highest RPM you've gotten to?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:10:31 AM »
8,200 RPM. 92 MPH indicated under load..............

Edit; you have to remember that HP is a function of torque x RPM, The torque actually declines after 6,500 RPM but not so much as the increase of RPM. This is why HP increases even though the torque curve decreases.

Now torque is a function that alows for accelleration against the forces of drag. At some point as this force increases against the declining available torque the top speed is reached.................
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:34:17 AM by TANWare »

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »
Motors generally rev a few hundred RPM past peak horsepower RPM and then there is usually a rev limiter that will prevent the motor from shooting pistons and other pieces of metal through the block.  The inability to get to or go past peak HP RPM has to do with the CVT transmission.  There is no other explanation.  I could understand if I was 400+ LBS but I don't, I weigh 265 LBS...well under the 2-up limit for the scooter.  If there is no way to get to peak HP RPM then the horsepower rating is a lie and false advertising because you will NEVER spin the motor high enough to get to the advertised HP. 

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »
It isn't uncommon for vehicles with automatic transmissions to not reach the rpm at which they produce their max hp.  They have been tuned to keep the engine in a range which makes them run cleaner and more fuel efficient.  Once you pass your max torque rpm the engine is less efficient.  CVT transmissions are not sophisticated enough to let you rev the engine past a certain speed without changing the ratio, so the only way to go above that is when the CVT has reached it's limit or to change the weights in your CVT that control the changing of the ratio.  The caveat here is the Suzuki Burgman 650 which has an electonically controlled CVT which will allow you to manually change the ratios.

Kymco lists a top speed of 94mph, which TANWare wasn't quite able to reach.  It doesn't mean that the bike won't do it - it means it won't do it with him on it.  Maybe with Jay Gleason on it - the bike hits 94mph at 8500rpm.  Or maybe on a dyno the bike reaches 8500rpm.  HP and torque are measured on a dyno which doesn't have wind resistance - I'm sure the bike will spin the engine to redline on one. 

Some manufacturers design their bikes (Suzuki Hayabusa) to run best at very high speed - and depend on the forced air induction at those higher speeds to boost their intake pressure and hp.  To measure their hp they then hook up forced air to simulate that increased intake pressure when running the bike on a dyno.  So if you put your Hayabusa on a dyno -you won't reach the numbers they claim.

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
It isn't uncommon for vehicles with automatic transmissions to not reach the rpm at which they produce their max hp.  They have been tuned to keep the engine in a range which makes them run cleaner and more fuel efficient.  Once you pass your max torque rpm the engine is less efficient.  CVT transmissions are not sophisticated enough to let you rev the engine past a certain speed without changing the ratio, so the only way to go above that is when the CVT has reached it's limit or to change the weights in your CVT that control the changing of the ratio.  The caveat here is the Suzuki Burgman 650 which has an electonically controlled CVT which will allow you to manually change the ratios.

Kymco lists a top speed of 94mph, which TANWare wasn't quite able to reach.  It doesn't mean that the bike won't do it - it means it won't do it with him on it.  Maybe with Jay Gleason on it - the bike hits 94mph at 8500rpm.  Or maybe on a dyno the bike reaches 8500rpm.  HP and torque are measured on a dyno which doesn't have wind resistance - I'm sure the bike will spin the engine to redline on one. 

Some manufacturers design their bikes (Suzuki Hayabusa) to run best at very high speed - and depend on the forced air induction at those higher speeds to boost their intake pressure and hp.  To measure their hp they then hook up forced air to simulate that increased intake pressure when running the bike on a dyno.  So if you put your Hayabusa on a dyno -you won't reach the numbers they claim.

I went to 14g rollers and it changed nothing as far as RPM range.  My max speed is 85 MPH (indicated) which also did not change.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 06:35:36 PM »
I've seen 8700rpm (@97mph indicated).
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:48:25 PM »
14 GR sliders will actually provide lower RPM at speed. It is the design of the slider over rollers tha do this. I reached only 92 indicated as I am 242 LBS and I did not have a long enough run to get it up there. I am confident with enough run I would eventually get to 94 MPH or above.

I really don't care all too much about top speed, I do care about RPM and load etc of the speeds I cruise at. I rarely ever cruise at over 70 MPH and the bike handles this with no issue at all. With the 14GR sliders below 50 MPH the RPM's are increased and above 55 MPH they seem to be decreased slightly. Overall the load, or should I say strain, of the engine seems dcreased at all speeds, other than WOT, with the sliders so I am happy and MPG hasn't been effected.

Now for rough figures the bike is 411 LBS and my 242 makes it a total of 653 LBS riding around. Now if I were 160 LBS as I should be if fit nd rtim shape it would only be 571 LBS or I am adding over 14% overall weight/load to the bike. I am sure if I were fit and trim I would get better MPG and performance from the bike but things be as they are.

In the end I have no real complaints but one thing to add. You need to do the tp speed run either in dead wind or do it in both directions. if you are running in a 10 MPH head wind this will increase drag and lower speed and the reverse being true for a tail wind. Air drag is the primary limiter for top speed and even high speed cruising etc...............

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »
I kinda wish I would have gone to 13g or even 12g rollers because the 14's really haven't changed my overall MPG.  Sometimes I get a little aggresive to keep away from the idiots in the cages and the extra midrange is valuable. 

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
12 GR would be too agressive for day to day riding, 13 GR would IMHO be the lowest to go unless you also get rid of the rev limiter and go with free flow air filter and muffler with a remap.

to be honest for agressive driving a Tmax 500, Swing 600 or Burgman 650 would be the better choices. This and say he Burgman 400 etc are interstate capable machines but just that, capable. These are in no way are a sport bike nor can they pretend to be one. Even with all that because of our weight you may not see better than 0-60 times of 7-8 seconds or more than 95 MPH with the engine screaming for mercy the entire time.

I knew well in advance my driving/riding style is non agressive. My philosophy is no matter who's fault the accident is I am still in it so let the idiots GO! Since I am conservative in my style I am just looking for the best efficiency and ease of riding style. The sliders just make the engine load easier so also two up and/or a top box loaded up will be easier on take off as well. In the end the added performance for me is just added capability for conservative riding.................

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()