Author Topic: what improvements will will open air filter and bigger jet give me?  (Read 2567 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
As the title says, I wonder what improvements will will open air filter and #88 main jet give me?

I currently get 45-48mph showing on the speedo on most days, been up to 50-52mph on a good day down a good hill. Full derestrict, 5.5g rollers (for now), 1000rpm torque, 1500rpm fly's, race variator, #82 jet, stock exhaust and stock air filter at present.

Been thinking of going to an open air filter and #88 main jet for a while but is I worth it? Will I get much improvement in power or speed? If I will see a difference, how much?

My scoots running great again now, after some setbacks with dodgy belts messing up my tuning, so I dont want to start messing around with it just to find all I gained was to make it louder.

Any ideas if I will get any more top end? Better uphill? Better acceleration? Better anything? Bear in mind I still have a stock exhaust and no bigger carb, kit or head on it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: what improvements will will open air filter and bigger jet give me?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:15:09 PM »
An open filter will make it more temperamental.  With a performance exhaust on a good day it could add 1 or 2% to your performance, when the weather changes it could make it run like crap.  Without a performance exhaust you won't gain anything except for a cool induction sound.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
And if I do fit a performance exhaust too? Would it then be worth it?  If I got better uphill speed, acceleration or even 5mph or more top end I prob would do it. Dont want to waste cash on just noise and looks tho, must improve performance too. Looking for a leo vince prob after xmas cos my old exhaust is still ok and I dont want to fit a shiney new exhaust then have it ruined over winter from all the salt, sh** and grit on the roads here.

I also use my scoot daily to and from work so am wary of anything that would make it temperamental, like I say its running great just now.

If I can get an extra 5+mph or improved uphill without major mods I would leave it at that. Would like to be hitting 50mph on the speedo every day on the flat, giving me an actual of maybe around 45mph.

Over all im quite happy with it now, guess were always just hankering for more  ::) remember a long time ago saying I would be happy getting 40mph on my speedo  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 05:13:08 PM »
More air + more fuel = more power, in my book at least. But then again I can get a little greedy sometimes....
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:02:24 PM »
Thats what I thought kenho. Think ill wait till after winter tho and do both the filter and exhaust together, winter will ruin my shiney new Leo if I buy it now, cant afford a zaust right now anyway.

If I get more air in I figure I prob need more exhaust gas out and my stock exhaust would restrict it so no point doing just the filter maybe?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:12:48 PM »
The air filter would be to enhance the exhaust - get them together or save the money to use on a bigger scoot.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »
I cant get a bigger scoot cos I dont have the license to ride over 50cc. Plan on doing my test maybe next year and moving up then but my son wants the scooter when he turn 16 so it would be good for him too, he will be restricted to 50cc bikes till he does the test at 17.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:28:03 PM »
I cant get a bigger scoot cos I dont have the license to ride over 50cc. Plan on doing my test maybe next year and moving up then but my son wants the scooter when he turn 16 so it would be good for him too, he will be restricted to 50cc bikes till he does the test at 17.
Europe is weird, at least from my point of view.  Until June I had never been on a 2 wheeled vehicle.  I went to classes in June, passed the test and now I can ride unlimited size bikes.  I have a Yager but I could legally ride a 2000cc or higher if there is such a thing.  If I were only 17 (What a horrible thought) I would still have an unlimited license.  I'm in New Jersey, USofA, Neat huh, lol.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »
Europe is weird, at least from my point of view.  Until June I had never been on a 2 wheeled vehicle.  I went to classes in June, passed the test and now I can ride unlimited size bikes.  I have a Yager but I could legally ride a 2000cc or higher if there is such a thing.  If I were only 17 (What a horrible thought) I would still have an unlimited license.  I'm in New Jersey, USofA, Neat huh, lol.

Yup,stupid rules. Im in Scotland, been driving cars for 18-19 years, i can legally ride a restricted moped up to 50cc as long as it does not go over 31mph :o on my car license. If i want to ride bigger i need to sit a basic bike test @ £100 to allow me to ride upto a 125cc on learner plates for upto 2yrs. Then i need to either pay to sit another more expensive bike test to get my full bike license or pay to re-sit the 1st test and carry on riding up to 125cc  on learner plates ???

Its a joke, i know how to ride, i been riding my 50 for ages and i got road sense anyway from cycling and driving my car for f@#king 19 years  >:(

Will get there in the end  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 12:50:50 AM »
Although it may be a pain for people who have the sense and knowledge, I see all too many people here in Miami go straight from never riding a bike to buying a big 1000 CC sport bike only to crash and take their lives. The license test here isn't much to cheer for either. Most of the time you can get away with driving around on a parking area for a couple of minutes and you're done.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:06:32 AM »
Our test is pretty cmprehensive here, even onc I passed I am restricted to riding no more than a 250cc for 2yrs, unless you pay a fortune to go thro the immediate unrestricted test. Im all for testing, its just the high cost involved, its much more expensive than doing your car test here.

What bugs me is I can just jump onto a 50cc and ride on the roads legally with no training and having never riden a bike in my life, as
long as I passed my car test pre 2001. To me that seems dangerous.

I know its different driving a car to riding a bike, but surely hey should take into account my driving experience and the fact I have been riding my 50cc. It pisses me off I need to actually do a theory test too, like I was a total novice at 16yrs old, im 39! I know the theory already.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()