Author Topic: Top speed and speedo accuracy  (Read 7990 times)

axy

• View Profile
Re: Top speed and speedo accuracy
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »
I'd probably replace the roller weights with dr pulley sliders of similar weight to get rid of at least
500rpms at higher speeds etc.

I forgot to say that laws of physics cannot be bent. You cannot get rid of 500 rpms and still maintain the same 130 km/h.
You need those revs to develop power in order to sustain higher speed.
So, it's a fairy tale.

Also, the experience with infamous Dr. Pulley sliders is inconclusive. Mine as you know (two of them) got stuck in upper position after 900 kms so I had them replaced with regular roller weights.

Btw. how can you spend so much time analyzing crappy things like scooters? More or less, given equal power, they are pretty much equally bad. :) Whichever you buy, you get the same thing, especially with 4 stroke. I know, I know... it's a hobby. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »
my speed is out by 10kph - 160 = 150 on the gps

Well that's acceptable, 20kph would be a bit over the top..
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »
There is a way to fix this - stop worrying!
You would be AMAZED that I never thought about revs I drive at, unless I had a gauge so I could actually see them.
It is possible, trust me! :) :) :)
It may take some time, meditation, relaxation music, but it IS possible! :) :) :)

There is a solution to this - more powerful bike. Or scooter.
GP 800, for example.

That thing costs more to run and insure then my Kawasaki.. and lower running costs are part of
the why I'm selling the kwak.. and if I change my job I won't need the 125 so that'll help too..
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 02:04:59 PM »
I'd probably replace the roller weights with dr pulley sliders of similar weight to get rid of at least
500rpms at higher speeds etc.

I forgot to say that laws of physics cannot be bent. You cannot get rid of 500 rpms and still maintain the same 130 km/h.
You need those revs to develop power in order to sustain higher speed.
So, it's a fairy tale.

Also, the experience with infamous Dr. Pulley sliders is inconclusive. Mine as you know (two of them) got stuck in upper position after 900 kms so I had them replaced with regular roller weights.

Btw. how can you spend so much time analyzing crappy things like scooters? More or less, given equal power, they are pretty much equally bad. :) Whichever you buy, you get the same thing, especially with 4 stroke. I know, I know... it's a hobby. :)

I'd probably want to try the burgman, tmax or scoots like those before I say they're all the same.
As for lowering revs at 130, it's not a problem at all.

You can't lower them by much or you'll loose power and the scoot won't even reach 130 then, but
500 isn't much.

I know you've had bad experiences with pulleys, but I'm following probably around 10 scooter related
forums/subforums, a lot of them brand specific just like this one, some of them generally about scooters,
and 99% have no issue with pulleys.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »
I have Dr.Pulley in my Xciting for 6tkm and they (still) work. Like in every Dr.Pulley equipped Xciting500 of the German Kymco Forum.
Might be different with another scoot, nobody can know/test/prove anything.
If you have problems contact "Dirk" (Ex-Taiwanese, insider for Dr.Pulley and Kymco matters) under http://www.drpulley.info/forum
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:10:41 PM by ts1 »

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
I have Dr.Pulley in my Xciting for 6tkm and they (still) work. Like in every Dr.Pulley equipped Xciting500 of the German Kymco Forum.

Care to share your findings with Dr Pulley sliders on your scoot?
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
I changed 25tkm old original rollers & belt with new Dr.Pulley and new original belt. I followed Dirks suggestion with 28g Pulleys (lighter than the 31g original rollers, because the Pulley sliders are bigger).

It runs smoother with new parts than with old and worn parts. Of course!
But imo nothing more than smoother and slightly less revs (ca. -200rpm at 100kph, probably more due to the new belt).
I don't have a direct comparison and I don't really care as long as it works fine.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »
I'd probably want to try the burgman, tmax or scoots like those before I say they're all the same.

Well, they will behave (handling/cornering/braking wise) like cruiser/custom of similar weight. Slightly better due to somewhat lower front wheel angle.

Much worse than any naked you can imagine.

Smaller scoots suffer from the same symptoms. Did not try Nexus though, but I would not expect miracles.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »
Well, they will behave (handling/cornering/braking wise) like cruiser/custom of similar weight. Slightly better due to somewhat lower front wheel angle.

Much worse than any naked you can imagine.

Smaller scoots suffer from the same symptoms. Did not try Nexus though, but I would not expect miracles.

I tried the Nexus, and wasn't prepared for how it behaved.
It's better then my kawasaki, and T-max should be A LOT better then that.

Better brakes and suspension then 10k euro bikes.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
I guess I'll have to wait for someone with the FI model to report in, but thanks for your info too!
Looks good to me so far, and nothing I couldn't fix with an aftermarket clutch or Dr Pulley slider
for a few hundred revs less at speed.

My 2009 Xciting 500Ri indicates 84mph (135kph) at 7000rpm, GPS was reading 80mph (129kph).  I wasn't trying to find it's top speed - just hanging with the fast traffic.  It was 112 degrees at the time and I did about 11 miles at that speed without the bike seeming to get too hot.  I however felt like I had been in a convection oven... 

Most of our highways have a 70mph speed limit, only a few have 80mph.  I don't need to go any faster on this bike, and I don't see it being a problem for it.  I had heard that it's top speed was 84mph - and that it's speedometer was off by as much as 15%.  I might have to put on some riding gear and find out the true top speed - but for now the speedometer error seems to be 5%.  It would be easier if I already had a speedohealer mounted because it will display my top speed and the GPS will do the same.  Looking down a couple of times at the gauges isn't as accurate (especially when you're haulin it in heavy traffic).   

Does the rev limiter cut in at 7500rpm?
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »
German Kymco Forum: 500i: 8700rpm.
But some 500i with a well-known manufacturer error can rev beyond 9000rpm and exceed 170 kph (indicated).

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
I tried the Nexus, and wasn't prepared for how it behaved.
It's better then my kawasaki, and T-max should be A LOT better then that.

Better brakes and suspension then 10k euro bikes.

I do not think that these scoots are so good, but I think that entry level motorcycles are quite bad in suspension department.
ZR-7S's suspension was relatively (just relatively) OK for most of uses and purposes, but if you pushed it too hard... it would "sway" and jiggle its way out of the corner.
Front suspension was not adjustable, rear was adjustable but only in two ways, I have changed oil in forks, installed spacers, and they helped just slightly...

If both front and rear suspension are not fully 3-way adjustable, I dare say that suspension is crap, if you ride a bit harder, and if you are fatass like me.
If you are semi-midget, weigh 50-60 kilos, anything goes.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 06:41:45 AM »
still having problems on my sliders even on the malosssi pulley. only remedy is to spray a little wd40 once in awhile.

if our speedo isn't accurate then that means we're getting much lower mileage per liter??? mine is now at 10kms/L highway driving and cruising speed.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »
if our speedo isn't accurate then that means we're getting much lower mileage per liter???
No, not necessarily. The big error is introduced during positioning the speedo needle. The odometer is just counting the impulses.
mine is now at 10kms/L highway driving and cruising speed.
Huh? 10 litres for 100km!? My X500 can't suck fuel like this on the highway (maybe on the race track with hard braking and accelerating).

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
I put Dr pully 31 gram sliders on my 2007 X500 & the rpm's dropped by about 500 while on the highway. But my old belt was very worn & narrow. The old sliders were shot also. 31 is 1 gram higher than stock, but I did not notice any lack of take off speed.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()