Author Topic: Gas Gauage Issue  (Read 3707 times)

dchristi51

• View Profile
Gas Gauage Issue
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »
 Hi everyone from Tulsa Oklahoma!!
Just purchased a 2007 People 250, which so far I love, but the gas gauge is making me parnoid.  I went to fill up this week-end and it didn't take a full gallon of gas although the guage was showing almost on empty.  I know it will
take almost 2 gallons of gas, so it was only about half empty.  Are the gas gauges just not acurate, or is there something faulty that I need to correct.  If anyone has any info, I would appreciate a post.
Thanks!

axy

• View Profile
Re: Gas Gauage Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »
Hi everyone from Tulsa Oklahoma!!
Just purchased a 2007 People 250, which so far I love, but the gas gauge is making me parnoid.  I went to fill up this week-end and it didn't take a full gallon of gas although the guage was showing almost on empty.  I know it will
take almost 2 gallons of gas, so it was only about half empty.  Are the gas gauges just not acurate, or is there something faulty that I need to correct.  If anyone has any info, I would appreciate a post.
Thanks!

Not accurate, forget it.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Strap a small gas tank to the back and ride it until it runs out - then you'll know where the gauge goes to,  A little piece of pinstripe tape to mark it comes in handy.  You may find that if you lean the bike to the right then the gas gauge reads more gas.  It isn't accurate - but if it moves then you know you've got gas.

The gauge is controlled by a float arm like one an old fashioned toilet.  You can take the sensor off the tank and  bend the arm (it's the square on the top left of the tank held down with 4 bolts and wires coming off of it) - but you risk getting a leak or breaking the sensor.  I've taken a similar one apart and found that it was basically bent to fit into the tank.  I was able to get it a bit more accurate by holding the unit partway out of the tank and using a modified BBQ fork (I bent the tongs over and together to be able to do this) to reach in and bend the arm slightly up.  Yours needs to be bent down - so it should be easier.  When you bend it - don't put pressure on the arm or you will rip it off the sensor unit.  It isn't rocket science - but since the same part is used in different tanks they don't always get bent to the right angle for your tank (if ever).  Sometimes the tank has something in the way of the arm.  If you're like me and figure it should read right - then it's worth messing with.  Expect to tear it apart at least 2 times before you're happy...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »
Many gas gauges are inaccurate.  Most riders rely on their odometers or trip meters.
Reset the trip meter when you fill up & buy gas when you get 100 miles on it.
If the tripmeter is unhandy to use, then use the odometer and fill when it reads an even number of miles.

Scoot safely
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »
Strap a small gas tank to the back and ride it until it runs out - then you'll know where the gauge goes to,  A little piece of pinstripe tape to mark it comes in handy.  You may find that if you lean the bike to the right then the gas gauge reads more gas.  It isn't accurate - but if it moves then you know you've got gas.

The gauge is controlled by a float arm like one an old fashioned toilet.  You can take the sensor off the tank and  bend the arm (it's the square on the top left of the tank held down with 4 bolts and wires coming off of it) - but you risk getting a leak or breaking the sensor.  I've taken a similar one apart and found that it was basically bent to fit into the tank.  I was able to get it a bit more accurate by holding the unit partway out of the tank and using a modified BBQ fork (I bent the tongs over and together to be able to do this) to reach in and bend the arm slightly up.  Yours needs to be bent down - so it should be easier.  When you bend it - don't put pressure on the arm or you will rip it off the sensor unit.  It isn't rocket science - but since the same part is used in different tanks they don't always get bent to the right angle for your tank (if ever).  Sometimes the tank has something in the way of the arm.  If you're like me and figure it should read right - then it's worth messing with.  Expect to tear it apart at least 2 times before you're happy...

It will not help because of shape of P250's tank. There is big and small bowl. Float sensor is in the small one, so it will be actuated only after the whole big bowl is empty (approx. 4 l). So, the gauge actually measures the last 3-4 liters. :)

This was discussed many times on this forum.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:39:35 PM »
It will not help because of shape of P250's tank. There is big and small bowl. Float sensor is in the small one, so it will be actuated only after the whole big bowl is empty (approx. 4 l). So, the gauge actually measures the last 3-4 liters. :)

This was discussed many times on this forum.

The gauge is reporting close to empty when it will only take a gallon (4l), you are describing a situation where it reads full until it gets down to 4l...  What you are discussing axy is not what this person is experiencing.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »

The gauge is reporting close to empty when it will only take a gallon (4l), you are describing a situation where it reads full until it gets down to 4l...  What you are discussing axy is not what this person is experiencing.

Yes, I know. The point is that there is no way to make the gauge accurate in the setup as it is.

When I had 750 cc Kawasaki, it had a slightly off gauge and there was a known tweak to add a small resistor on the back plate of the gauge by soldering it and it would be spot on.
With P250(S), it is screwed beyond possiblity of repair by design, if absolute accuracy is what you are after...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

P250Fanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
With no trip odo on the p250, I just keep a little note in my phone of the "kilometer-age" it had during the last fill-up and don't let it go too much farther than 200. Be aware also that this bike is prone to dying on a hot day with a full tank of gas and the only solution I've found is to pop the gas cap periodically while coasting so the engine stays running.  Small inconveniences on an otherwise perfect scoot!  Oh wait, a perfect scoot wouldn't scrape the kickstand on turns so much!

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »
With no trip odo on the p250, I just keep a little note in my phone of the "kilometer-age" it had during the last fill-up and don't let it go too much farther than 200. Be aware also that this bike is prone to dying on a hot day with a full tank of gas and the only solution I've found is to pop the gas cap periodically while coasting so the engine stays running.  Small inconveniences on an otherwise perfect scoot!  Oh wait, a perfect scoot wouldn't scrape the kickstand on turns so much!

That's a problem with the gas tank not venting...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

BigBadger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 07:36:33 PM »

Check the vent in your gas cap.  May need to be cleaned/reamed out.
2007 Kymco People 2 250
Purchased used with 19000km on the odo but purrs like a (large, and possibly ill) cat.  :-)

P250Fanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »
Sounds like good advice, I'll try that! Thanks!

lavoyermn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 12:36:19 PM »
  I Have a KYMCO PEOPLE 250 2006     I filled the tank up and wrote the Kil down   watch the kill per gal   found out how many per gal  on hiway and in town    Now when I fill tank I add the kil pe tank and I WRITE IT ON A PLASTIC PIECE OF TAPE WITH WET ARASE PEN   WORKS OUT VERY WELL FOR KNOWING WHEN TO GET GAS     AND I DO USE NONE ETHENAL GAS ONLY
LOUIS A. VOYER
   ST PAUL MN 55106

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()