Author Topic: Stearing problem!!  (Read 1715 times)

vägkung

• View Profile
Stearing problem!!
« on: August 22, 2011, 04:56:47 PM »
Hallo!

First question for me :)

I help a friend with his Kymco 500 (year 2005). He told me that he has problems with the stearing, when he stands still sitting on the saddle and both wheels on the ground, when he then trying to "turn" the handlebar from let say left to right he can feel some sort of "resistance / hack" when the front wheel is pointing forward.
This happen always he told me, this "resistance / hack" is also at the same point always.
Does anyone know what  could be wrong??

vägkung

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Stearing problem!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »
I'm gonna say steering bearings, as I've seen 2 reported cases locally recently.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

vägkung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:16:01 PM »
Hi, thnxs for answering rapidly :) :)

Well-  then I'll have to take down front fork and replace the bearings.

I have no repair manual, I wonder If some one on this forum have pictures (exploded views) of the front end for Kymco 500 (year 2005) it would help a lot, or maybe someone can give me a hint where I can find pictures.

Thnxs
vägkung

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:11:23 PM »
Xciting 500 Service Manual ENG

Put it on the centerstand and have someone sit on the back or push on the rack to bring the front end up.  Then turn the handlebars and feel and listen for something.  You can carefully put a block of wood under the front or also put the sidestand down and put something under it to hold the front up.  Without the wheels turning the front end is going to turn away from straight easier than towards center - because of the curve of the tire.  If you don't notice it when riding or turning it on the stand - that may be all you're noticing - but being 6 years old it wouldn't hurt to check and repack your steering bearings anyway.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:18:36 AM »
I noticed this also once. The cables of the speedometer rubbed against the plastic protection of the radiator making steering dangerous sometimes....
I said it earlier on this forum: the speedometerdesign is simply very bad on my xciting 500 (2006).

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 03:40:22 AM »
also had this problem on both of our x500 after a couple of m0nths from being submurged in a flood. Cleaned and greased the bearings. Problem solved. Btw sometimes if the knot on the stearing is to tight also.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »
I had to have the stearing bearings replaced at 9000 kms, due to the the previous owner that didnt notice that the front wheel was way out of balance all the time.

If you are in the Stockholm area I can highly recommend a smal workshop called mcverkstaden.se

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()