Author Topic: anyone have problems after the rain? CDI flooding  (Read 2465 times)

kungfooren

• View Profile
anyone have problems after the rain? CDI flooding
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »
Hi,

I've been finding that every time it rains hard, my scooter has big problems starting and running. The first time, I took it to a shop which found out that it was a problem with my CDI--probably got shorted from accumulated water. Mechanic replaced that and everything was ok... until the next time it rained. I looked at the connectors to the CDI and see that there are clear signs of water. Took the CDI out, cleaned the connectors, plugged it back in, and all was good. I had previously drilled some holes into the floor to help drain water but it doesn't seem to be enough. Anyone have similar issues with this? I'm debating whether or not I should drill more holes or try to seal off the CDI compartment.

-jeff
2008 Red Kymco Agility 50 4t
Sym Performance CDI, Smooth Variator Boss, 5.5g Dr. Pulley Roller Weights, 320mm RDR performance rear shock

woodcutter

• View Profile
Re: anyone have problems after the rain? CDI flooding
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 03:53:03 PM »
sealing battery cover with quality silicone makes more sence than drilling plastic underneath.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
Everybody with A50/A125.

Sometimes I wonder if they hired engineers or children.

Just last week I have used polyurethane foam to seal the floor-cap. Left it for 30 minutes to dry and then cut to measure using scalpel.
I also installed slightly wider screw instead of OEM one.

Now it will be good to go for fall rain season.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

kungfooren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »
Good ideas. It's not like I should have to access the battery compartment frequently so I'll use some silicon to seal it off. Silly Kymco.
Sym Performance CDI, Smooth Variator Boss, 5.5g Dr. Pulley Roller Weights, 320mm RDR performance rear shock

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »
I never had any bother and i live  in Scotland, it rains here a lot!

Dont drill holes. Buy some rubber type tape and wrap the cdi up in it that way it will be waterproof and you can still open your battery covet easily. Or even just wrap the cdi in cling film or a small plastic bag, tape it up to make sure its watêrproof and you will be good to go.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »
It is not only the issue of CDI.
Both fuses are also bathing in water, so are battery contacts.
CDI itself is water proof, but the jack is not.

So, the only way is to apply some kind of sealant on the border of the rectangular floor-cap (lid).
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »
there is a samll silcone packed that they pass out when you buy lights for your auto mobles at the auto stores its free use that and put it on all the jacks or anything that plugs in. its made for elec. use.

kungfooren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
I silicon sealed the border of the cover. Let's see if it help. Rained a bit yesterday and I had no issues at all. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing how much water actually got in without breaking my seal. lol.

wrapping the CDI and connectors in a plastic bag is also a good idea.

thanks for the help. This has probably been on of my only complaints about the scooter.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:27:46 PM by kungfooren »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()