Author Topic: Gas mileage  (Read 8961 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Gas mileage
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:42:18 PM »
I am very serious about purchasing a new xciting 500, but I have heard that the free way mileage is not very good. But know one ever says what they are getting? This concerns me due to the fact that the gas tank only holds 3.4 gallons. What do any of you get for mileage at around 75 mpg. And what rpm's are you at, at this speed? I am looking at the fuel injected 2009 model, but anyone who has a xciting 500 can feel free to answer fuel injected or carbed. Also some people say they can do over 100 mph, and some people say the bike tap's out at 85 mph? What gives? All I do is tour. So if the bike only get's 40 or so mpg, and or can only do 85 maxed out with nothing left to pass trucks and so at these speeds, then I need to look else where. I test road a new yamaha tmax, and oh my God this bike was fast, and before I knew it I was doing 90 mph with alot of throttle left. I am leaning toward the kymco, but if the bike is under powered, then I may need to look else where. Also, are the speedo's really off as far as some people say? Thank you in advance.

bongoman

• View Profile
Re: Gas mileage
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
My 'o7 X500 is carbed. Purchased 2/08 and as of 12/21/08 it has 13,245 miles. On the freeway cruising at 70-75, occasionally passing trucks, and loaded for a wedding in New Orleans, I recently averaged 48mpg burning Premium. Most of the trip was interstate, and in addition to myself - 6'3" & 200lbs - she carried saddledbags, topcase, and barrel bag on passenger seat with a few cold weather items underseat; all in all about 70lbs.

I have never topped mine out, but have backed down at 85. That was plenty fast. consider though, that I get bored riding interstates,do not like trucks and other bored automobile drivers.

Most of the time, I take the longer back roads as the advantage of living in the central Texas hill country.

On the longeswt interstate trip I have taken, one day's total was 575 miles. even though I had to stop for gas around 140 to 150 miles, and plan my stops accordingly; taking a break from the saddle, and calculating stops helped relieve the boredom.

In Beaumont/Port Arthur, in November '08, there were still gas stations and restaurants closed due to Hurricane Ike clean up. Stopping for gas and finding them closed for everal miles was a moment of some apprehension that ended well with a great pancake and omelette brunch surrounded by local people who enjoyed sharing their stories with a man passing through.

the speedo is off about 10 percent, the same as several other bikes I have owned. In fact, the only accurate speedo on two wheels I have ever experienced was a calibrated magnetic job on a Cannondale racing bicycle.

My X500 fit me and my wallet so I am prejudiced. As a former motorcycle rider, what I appreciate most about maxi-scoots is the versatility. They are equally at home on city streets and fun on twisty bendy hilly rides in the back country. I admit my bias.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »
I have a Xciting 500R fuel injected , I get 66mpg ( this is imperial gallons  1.2 to the US gall so thats 55mpg for US folks )to/from home work 30miles, about 75% freeway riding at 60mph which is about 5500rpm 25% stop/start city crawl  . I have not driven it faster than 75mph,(600rpm) we have some real sneaky traffic cops here who drive unmarked high powered coupes,  but it is still pulling strong then. it will outpace most sedans apart from the high output turbo ones from a traffic light drag. yes the speedo is way out but there is an easy fix for anyone with a bit of mechanical competance or you can add a SpeedoHealer if you are electrically gifted (I reckon the hardest part is probably taking the covers off the sides of the scooter..but I opted for the mechanical fix ) which will remap what the sender is sending to the speedo I have only done 5000m so far, , that should be 6000rpm, my mouse has just gone weird and wont go back so I cant correct it...anything else just ask...Merry Xmas

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:13:18 AM »
Alex I see you are turning around 5500 RPM at 60 MPH.  OK, folks is that pretty much normal?   It seems that I am running pretty close to that.  It seems a bit high RPM for cruising speed or is it just me.  I have a Scarabeo 500 that my wife rides and it runs about 5100 at 60 with Dr Pulley weights just  a couple of grams lighter than stock.  Makes me wonder if I need the Dr Pulley on the Kymco.  I am experiencing none of the take off shutter I was getting with the Scarabeo before I replaced the variator rollers with Dr Pulley.  I do like the Dr Pulley, if I replace them on the Kymco maybe I should look for some the same weight as stock. Or... that being the case would it even make a difference.  I have not had the scooter up past 55 yet as per the break in suggestion.  I will give it a couple more hundred miles then step up the speed a bit.  It seems pretty tight right now.  Anyone out there got any other experience with changing out the variator weights or suggestions...
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:56:54 AM »
I put on Dr Pulley 28 gm weights I thought I was getting 30 gm thats what I ordered  but 28 gm turned up , anyway the scoot accelerated better but ran close to 6000 rpm at 100k(62mph) which was 500rpm more and used about 5mpg more, thats imperial gall too, so I took them out and put back my stock ones which turned out to be 32gm. I have made up some addon weights to bring the Dr Pulleys up to 32gm but have not yet fitted..too little time . going on holiday to US, in 4 days
Have just fitted an Ex Honda muffler and want to see what it does for the running/fuel consumption, so far  it seems to run less revs but havnt done my usual run to work down the freeway to get a good comparo, scoot handles better with less weight on the back, and now sounds like half a Harley,  ;D

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:37:48 AM »
MPG (US Gal) was 61 MPG.  Mind you this is mostly break in speeds.  About 50/50 city/hwy with hwy speeds 45 to 60 mph.  It's getting smoother with each trip.  Twisty roads were load of fun, it handles very well.  Let's see what the next tank does.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:46:49 AM »
It's at 475 miles now and MPG (US Gal) is running about 52.  I've upped the speed a bit and it seems that the RPM are a bit high.  50 MPH = 5000 RPM, 60 MPH = 6000 RPM.  Almost as if the variator needs to break in.  I am considering some dry lub on the variator weights to see if that helps.  Also wondering if making some runs at higher speeds will push the weights out more and help break in the variator components. 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

Biker Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 03:25:46 PM »
What the heck am I doing wrong? I have '07 X500. My average MPG (US) since 5/14/08 is 44.03. I have tried different grades, different brands, some with up to 10% alcohol and some NO alcohol and my MPG stays about the same. I keep tires inflated properly, however I don't baby it in traffic or on the hiway. All other maint. is done on schedule and it is still stock. My dealer says 45/46 MPG is about right and then I read in the forum about 55/60 MPG! Bye the way, I also keep a log on type of gas, miles, gallons, and weather conditions every time I fill.  ???

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »
That's my Xciting 500 (with carburetor from 2007):
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/169394.html
My average of 5.05 liter / 100km (mostly driven with pillion rider) calculates to 46.5 US-mpg and 55.8 UK-mpg.

2 other friends have an Xciting 500(I) and nearly same fuel consumption.
But my dealer (former successful mc racer) says, I' m probably blocking traffic, because he rides with 7 liter (34 US-mpg).

The newer 250i/300i consumes much less. The 500i a little bit less.
But I doubt the 60+ US-mpg. Perhaps possible, but with a driving style that's unreasonable with an 500 - a smaller engine would be enough and still be more fuel efficient.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:41:36 PM by ts1 »

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »
Now that I am through the break in driving it looks like my MPG has settled down to around 45 MPG.  I do mostly city driving.  The RPM at 60 MPH is about 5500 and at 70 MPH it is 6000.   The power is really good on the X500 and looking at the RPM vs MPH I would think that adding slightly heavier rollers to the variator would change the ratio and give you better gas mileage.  However, you will lose some of the pep.  Depends on what you want.  You may also help a bit by using the dry lube in the variator and maybe polishing the roller area.  The easier the weights slide the more efficient the variator will be.  Right now I can live with the gas mileage because I am enjoying the performance.  I do plan on polishing up the variator and adding some dry lube as soon as I get a chance.  That means when I have some time to work on it verses ride.  Right now it's ride, ride, ride... ;D
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 01:30:28 PM »
At a 1000 miles gas mileage seems to have settled in at about 45 MPG.  Tried two up with my wife last night and she says the back seat is really comfy.  The X500 handled the extra load without complaining and still seemed to have plenty of power.  Further proof that they have set the weights in the X500 variator to give good performance instead of mileage.  I will get to polishing the slide area and putting dry lube on the weights in a week or so and post what if any difference if makes.  I can tell you since it has started to break in power has increased and its smoother.  My wife rides an Aprilia S500 which gets about 60 MPG, but has nowhere near the power.  Even with the Dr Pulley slider change it still runs at much lower RPM than the X500.  Soooo do I want more MPG and increase weights,  naaahhhh not for now I like the way it runs, way to much fun.. ;D  Let's go for a ride....
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »
Bump!

Any new MPG numbers?  :)
I almost gave up on Xciting 500 because of 30MPG ratings on a local forum, but most were
carburated, and although it would seem logical that the Ri model has better MPG figures, I
couldn't find any proof.

MotorcycleUSA web site had the 500Ri in for review, and they got 30-40mpg doing 70+ on
the interstate. This seems a bit low, even for 90mph, not to mention 70mph.

Can anyone confirm that the FI (fuel injected) Xciting returns better mpg figures for youz guyz?
Make sure you mention how hard you are on the gas and if it's city riding or outside of the city.

Thanks in advance!

I would hate to buy the Downtown 300 just because of the fuel consumption just to find out
it's just a few MPGs better.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
With my current  mods I am averaging about 44 in town I do not do much highway riding I have put 5500 miles on mine this year and it hold 44 mpg pretty strong so i am happy. If i go on extend trips i plan to take an extra gallon of gas to be safe
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Modding a scooter is a beatiful thing!

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 07:04:28 PM »
With my current  mods I am averaging about 44 in town I do not do much highway riding I have put 5500 miles on mine this year and it hold 44 mpg pretty strong so i am happy. If i go on extend trips i plan to take an extra gallon of gas to be safe

Just want to make sure.. since it says just '500' in your signature line.. is yours carbed or fuel injected?
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »
Bump!
Any new MPG numbers?  :)
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/169394.html
(500 carb, 4.89 litre/100km = 48.1 (us) mpg)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:41:02 PM by ts1 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()