Author Topic: what's your experience re rpm  (Read 1709 times)

roboscoot

• View Profile
what's your experience re rpm
« on: September 01, 2011, 02:12:01 AM »
i am placing this under general although i suppose i just as well could have placed under technical////but here goes

i have a kynco 300 2 weeks old......i had a problem with the seat closing but that has been resolved. I had a nail in rear tire...slow leak...identified , removed , plugged and resolved......maybe i am getting paranoid worrying to much about what else can go wrong...

the scooter has less than 200 miles on it,,,,and i am noticing that the rpms...are way out ahead of odo.mph......as i am a first time kymco scooter owner i am wondering if the speedo should be reading 20-22 mph while the rpm are showing 4000-4500 rpm.

i should  note that the idle is set a bit to high (way i got it).....will (once driven move down) to its spec at 1600 rpm ...otherwise around 18 or 1900 rpm....

most of my recent riding has been very local ...to deli or to five and dime.....the few times i jumped on a larger major road but not freeway and opened up the throttle a bit...the difference between mileage /odo and rpms does narrow....i am trying not to go over 50 as i am still in break in mode....so i am afraid to go high end on the throttle.

so what i am noticing is mostly at lower speeds and as i said roughly in 35 mph zones....so is it me or what is your experience ?.....before i contact the dealer......robo thanks

axy

• View Profile
Re: what's your experience re rpm
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:26:12 AM »
i am placing this under general although i suppose i just as well could have placed under technical////but here goes

i have a kynco 300 2 weeks old......i had a problem with the seat closing but that has been resolved. I had a nail in rear tire...slow leak...identified , removed , plugged and resolved......maybe i am getting paranoid worrying to much about what else can go wrong...

the scooter has less than 200 miles on it,,,,and i am noticing that the rpms...are way out ahead of odo.mph......as i am a first time kymco scooter owner i am wondering if the speedo should be reading 20-22 mph while the rpm are showing 4000-4500 rpm.

There is a number of reasons why you should become a good friend with our long-time member, Cortez.

;D ;D ;D :D
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:24:12 AM »
as i am a first time kymco scooter owner i am wondering if the speedo should be reading 20-22 mph while the rpm are showing 4000-4500 rpm.
It's not only because of Kymco.
Every simple variomatic mechanics is a compromise. There is no kickdown and no overdrive.
The speed/rev proportion must be suitable for reasonable acceleration with full throttle, very smooth acceleration with slightly open throttle on slippery surface and low fuel consumption/emission/noise.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
so you are saying this is kind of normal with kymco?

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »
No. ;) Brand doesn't matter.
I say this is normal for scooters (and even cars etc.) with a CVT.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
i am thinking you are right....i took the scooter on a a short stretch,,,,of open highway this morning ....what i find is that the faster you go the more the speedo catches up with the rpm reading so that at 50 mph....the rpm readout is about 58-6000 rpm....did not test it for higher speeds...funny i never thought about it or picked up on it with my other scooter which is a 250 cc also efi...................thanks again.....

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »
what i find is that the faster you go the more the speedo catches up with the rpm reading ...
Of course. Maybe you should read a little bit about how a CVT (=Continuously Variable Transmission) works.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 12:15:24 AM »
you mentioned cars...what cars out there have a cvt transmission....from my reading no neutral.....

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:23:49 AM »
Nissan Murano has always had a CVT transmission.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:38 AM »
ok but i thought cvts have no neutral.....

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »
ok but i thought cvts have no neutral.....
It is not an integral part of a CVT, but you can add it. Try a Kymco Quad/ATV! They have a CVT and an additional lever for D-N-R.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 02:25:12 AM »
i see thanks for the info....

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 04:43:55 AM »
Ford Escape Hybrid has a CVT, Toyota Prius, Nissan Maxima, Honda Insight, Mitsubishi Lancer...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()