Author Topic: HELP!!! Mods/Derestrictions = worse performance on 2011 Super 8 50cc 2T  (Read 35854 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!! Mods/Derestrictions = worse performance on 2011 Super 8 50cc 2T
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2012, 03:15:38 AM »
...i like my ninja sliders....

;)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
So... the sliders came in the other day...

The pickup is gret until like 15MPH, then it falls off. Takes forever to get to 30ish and it will creep up to 35 even slower, only if I'm on a flat. It's really weird though, because it's definitely turning more RPM, the whole time. I also notice between 31 and 34 indicated, there is a lot of harmonic feedback that reverberates with the exhaust sound. Kind of like driving two cars side by side at the same RPM, playing hell with your ears.

I'm also disappointed that the Malossi rollers (9g) that came with the Multivar had flat spots on some of them, at only 200ish miles.

Do these things take a while to break in too? Should I try popping them into the stock variator and pull out the Malossi?
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..need adjustable clutch...

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
I was thinking that too... maybe going to a higher RPM clutch. It it now revving above the usable range of the clutch? I don't get it...
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..stiffer flys will get your vari back in the powerband...maybe....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
It almost sounds like the torsion controller is not closing. The rollers should Not have flat spots yet. Try marking Sharpee lines on the front, and rear pulleys to verify the travel.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
Torsion controller is on the clutch right? The white spring that came with the Multivar... can't see where that one goes. The big spring in my clutch unit is way bigger around if I recall.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
The clutch sits on top of the torsion controller. I have seen some Malossi kits come with the wrong size spring. There are only two sizes so a 50/50 shot is what you have. You have to take off the clutch bell, and then the big ass nut holding the clutch on the controller pulleys
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
Took it all apart again the other day, put the stock variator on with the sliders. It's not bad, but I do have some shuddering of the clutch so I'll have to pull the clutch off and sand the pads to get rid of the glazing. They were slipping pretty bad after riding 40 miles or so today.

The spring does look to be the right size, it had just been a while since I had seen it.

I'll probably start looking into clutches and whatnot.

I'd also like to figure out a way to get better cooling in there.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Did you ever install the contra spring that came with the var?
The cvt cover has that big round logo area that is over the clutch. I just cut that out w/ a jig saw too cool.

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
I'm going to install that once I get the damn clutch apart. I tried with a large adjustable wrench I have by banging the wrench on the ground. It did not work...

I've got to get a vise I guess...
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
That spring alone will make more of a difference than the Var/rollers. I does sound like you may have other cvt issues so getting it all opened up can only help.
Maybe take the assembled clutch to a local shop, and give the guy 5 bucks to take it apart for you. I do the same all the time with stubborn parts, and items I don't have the tools for. You may develop a true friend there too.

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
Haha! I need a vise anyways, for all the little homeowner projects. I'm just a cheap bastard haha!
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
I got the spring in today. The clutch seemed to have grease!? on it. I wiped it out with a paper towel and hit it a little with sandpaper. I also sanded the clutch pads a bit, to get rid of any residue on them.

I put the Malossi Multivar back in with the Ninja Sliders. It still just doesn't have the top end, but I think I just need to get a bit more power now, as it has it on a very slight decline, got up around 45 indicated. Still only 32-33 on the flats and slight uphills.

I've still got my air filter, so I can remove the airbox, but I've got to buy jets. Also, I don't really want to jet for the air filter and then buy an exhaust later, only to rejet.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
It seems I spend more time tinkering than riding. I just may be your sliders are too light. Try filling them with epoxy, and see how that does.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()