Author Topic: GAS GAGE WENT NUTS  (Read 811 times)

OLDRIDER

• View Profile
GAS GAGE WENT NUTS
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
I stopped and filled my tank however when I started up the gas gauge went to empty and the gas light came on. I reopened and closed gas cap but that did no good. Gas is not leaking an tank is still full. When I rode it I hit abump and the gas light went out and the gas needle jumped to 1/2 full and then went back to empty. Does anyone know what happened or how to fix? I am driving a 2009 500CC bike.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: GAS GAGE WENT NUTS
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Either a loose wire on the gauge, a faulty sender or if our bike uses a float in the tank it either is damaged or faulty or you bent it with the petrol nozzle?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: GAS GAGE WENT NUTS
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »
I'd look for the loose wire.  I've bent the float assembly with the gas nozzle on a motorcycle tank before - but you can't reach it on the Xciting. 

The connector I would check first comes off of the top of the fuel tank, and over to the left.  I'm not sure how much you'll have to remove - but it's about where your left ankle is while you are riding.  I believe the connector on the panel has other things on it - so it is unlikely just the fuel level would stop working.

Good luck - let us know what you find...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()