Author Topic: Grand Vista Won't Start  (Read 1655 times)

gammtka

• View Profile
Grand Vista Won't Start
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:02 AM »
I bought a 2006 GV about a month ago.  It has a little over 2500 miles on it.  I drive it almost everyday for errands (I'm retired).  Love the scooter and it has never had any issues in the couple of hundred miles I put on it.  I did put in an iridium plug a couple of weeks ago and it seems to run a little smoother now.

Yesterday I was riding down the highway about 55 mph and the engine just died. There were no unusual sounds or clunks or anything, it just stopped running.  The motor turns over, but does not fire.  At first I thought I simply ran out of gas as I don't believe the gas gauge works - it always reads full.  I always put a little Seafoam in gas when I add it(maybe an ounce per gallon). After trailering it home I put some gas in, but still not firing. I pulled off the front cover to make sure the spark plug was connected, but it still is not firing.  I think it fired once, but very weakly. 

Any advice on a checklist to go through before I bring it in for repair would be appreciated.

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: Grand Vista Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
Is the Run/Kill switch in the RUN position ?
Try flipping the switch several times.

There is a 10Amp fuse, after the main fuse (30 A), before the Kill/Run switch.  Test/replace it.

I think the fuses are under the seat, back by the battery area.

Install a new sparkplug.

Other than those, the rest are more expensive:
CDI box, Ignition coil, ignition switch, wiring
and less likely to sudenly fail.

If there a Kymco Dealer near you ?
Do you have a service manual (I think you can download one).

Good luck.

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Grand Vista Won't Start
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »
Side stand switch?
Is the spark plug wet (getting fuel!) after starting wasn't successful?
Can the spark plug fire when its thread has contact with the chassis?

gammtka

• View Profile
Re: Grand Vista Won't Start - Cured
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »
I suspected the spark or fuel lines.  When I got home tonight I pulled the plug to test for spark.  Just for the heck of it I tried to see how far the spark plug cap would go on the plug while it was out in the open. It went on farther than I would have suspected.  I seated it as far as I could, turned over the engine while the plug was grounded on the frame and it had a nice spark.  Plug was nice and clean.  So I reinstalled the plug making sure the cap was seated as far as I could get it.  Just for the heck of it I turned over the starter and Boom, she fired right up smooth as silk.  I was thinking I had a gas or carb problem.  I think when I originally installed the new iridium plug I must not have pushed the cap on far enough and it simply giggled loose. Thank goodeness it wasn't something major.  Thanks you guys for your suggestions.  I woulod have tried all those next!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()