Author Topic: overheat with spark plug?  (Read 1521 times)

kymcopolska

• View Profile
overheat with spark plug?
« on: September 14, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
hello, i got the original spark plug the NGK BR8HSA. and when its cold out (like morning) it starts and rides fine but it isnt until the atfernoon when it gets warm outside.  almost everytime i ride in the afternoon, it starts to sputter and lose power and eventually die. ill wait  like 15 mins and it would start up and ride again but would do the same thing again soon after. also, everytime i try to electic start or kick start, it back fires and sounds like its the sparkplug.....help me please?     ps i cleaned out the carb, changed the sparkplug twice and still the same results

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: overheat with spark plug?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:06:19 AM »
Next time it dies, check to see if there is spark at the plug. with it dying when warm sounds like it could be the cdi is playing up, I think that is the weakest link on these scoots. Other alternative is to wash the air filter, no need to wait for that one, blocked air filter= rich mixture= spluttering/flooding.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

kymcopolska

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:48 PM »
yeah, i try that. i cleaned the air filter yesterday but it was pretty cool here yesterday so it didnt ealy have much affect.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
Replace the stator. and the cdi. You can get them both for about $100.00. They both can act as you describe.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

kymcopolska

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »
is there a way to check  the stator and cdi to see if its good or bad?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 01:54:32 AM »
Yes, and no. You can ohm them out to see the specs. but they will be fine as your trouble comes in when the scoot is warm. You can remove the parts, put them on a piece of plywood in the oven set at 175 degrees for 20 minutes, and re-test. You should see a failure then. Or ride w/ a multimeter, and test on the side of the road. The oven is easier as you will have to have the parts off to replace anyway. Use a thermometer tho you want to be sure your oven temp. is right. There are posts w/ the manuals on this site that have all the specs. I just forget where they are.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

kymcopolska

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:57:14 AM »
ill try that.  but its probably the cdi and stator becuz i cleaned my carb twice. changed the fuel filter and cleaned out all the tubes with gas and checked for air leaks

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 02:03:26 AM »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 02:44:13 AM »
You Da Man Sid!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 03:48:55 AM »
Your thread mate, just spreading it around a little.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()