Author Topic: Just picked up my new bike!  (Read 1285 times)

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
Just picked up my new bike!
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:23:57 AM »
I got this for a pretty good deal on Ebay and had a friend pick it up while he was on the East coast.
Although it is new, the speedo does not work and I need to figure out how to get the seat to pop open so I can get to the manual!

Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: Just picked up my new bike!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:01:37 AM »
Welcome to the forum Simon.

Put the key into the ignition and turn it to the left (counter clockwise).  If it doesn't click and release - then turn it to the right and then back to the left.  It is spring loaded and will do different things whether you are pushing it in all the way or not - for this do not push in against the spring. 

Here's a copy of the service manual:  http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/35290/Kymco_Xciting%20250-500.html

Here's a copy of the owners manual:  http://www.kymco.com/upload/CTContent/9/9AD16795-ECF4-4901-9287-9F17D0A3F680/Xciting%20300Ri.pdf

FWIW:  Please don't post the same question in more than one place.

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:15:51 AM »
Thanks for the advice and the welcome! I figured it out early this morning. Also, regarding the speedo, the needle was stuck under the "resting" pin. I had to dismantle the plastics around the nose to get to the instrument cluster. From there, I dissasembled the cluster and free'd up the speedo needle. I had called a local dealer, but got the warranty run around as this bike is a two year old "new" leftover. Regardless, they had a five day waiting period for "paying" customers. All is well in the end. Just need to find some matching flat paint for the scuff at the bottom. It was never laid down, just abrasion from cardboard boxes laying on the bike while it was shipped to me.
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

kymcorider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 04:19:28 AM »
Wow! Nice looking scooter. I just bought an 07 X500. So much different from the Honda spree I had years ago. I know absolutely nothing about the Kymco scooters and how they hold up. Talk about taking a chance. So far it's a beauty and rides out really nice with lots of power. Got my fingers crossed. You have fun with your scooter, it's going to turn a lot of heads. Ride safe, Kymcorider

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
Wow! Nice looking scooter. I just bought an 07 X500. So much different from the Honda spree I had years ago. I know absolutely nothing about the Kymco scooters and how they hold up. Talk about taking a chance. So far it's a beauty and rides out really nice with lots of power. Got my fingers crossed. You have fun with your scooter, it's going to turn a lot of heads. Ride safe, Kymcorider

Hey kymcorider, you are more familiar with Kymco than you realize because they manufactured the engine for your Honda Spree.  Kymco has been manufacturing scooters and motorcycles for 45 years now.  They partnered with Honda as a supplier/manufacturer and by the early 70's were manufacturing every scooter (and many small motorcycle) engines for Honda.  Their relationship with Honda turned south in 1994 with no new technologies being shared, and the final ties were cut in 2003.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()