Author Topic: Aftermarket exhaust options  (Read 4633 times)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Aftermarket exhaust options
« on: September 18, 2011, 10:48:25 AM »
I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this subject, so why not start one!

It'd be great if everyone posted a picture of their Xciting 500 with the aftermarket exhaust you chose,
how happy are you with it (performance changes if any, longevity/build quality etc.).

Make sure you mention if you did any other changes along with the exhaust if you noticed any
performance changes, and if your XC500 is the fuel injected one or not!

Everyone may benefit from this kind of thread!
Shoot!
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

speedee86

• 2012 Kymco Xciting 500 RI ABS
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermarket exhaust options
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:07 PM »
i know this is an old topic but i am interested as well. what are some options? who has done what. i have a 2012 xciting 500ri. its fuel injected. i can only find a few options on line and around the $400! range seems rather high. are there any universal slip ons or slipons of the same tubing size that would be viable options. im strictly after a bit more sounds, the bike performs great in my opinion.
always leave yourself an exit incase you get stuck in a pinch. RIDE SAFE!

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:37:01 PM »
i know this is an old topic but i am interested as well. what are some options? who has done what. i have a 2012 xciting 500ri. its fuel injected. i can only find a few options on line and around the $400! range seems rather high. are there any universal slip ons or slipons of the same tubing size that would be viable options. im strictly after a bit more sounds, the bike performs great in my opinion.

With a different exhaust, it's likely it won't.
 ;D

'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:34 PM »
With a different exhaust, it's likely it won't.
 ;D

Wont perform great any longer?

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:00:01 AM »
Wont perform great any longer?

Different exhausts have a different torque/power curve, even if they might add power at certain
revs (that a stock scooter maybe can't even reach).

What are the chances that the new one you buy will have a curve that fits perfectly in the rev range
you have your scooter's CVT setup for at the moment? 0%. :)

Most performance exhausts actually have LOWER power and torque figures in the mid-range and then
a bit extra at the top, and you gotta tune your CVT to reach that.

If you buy a no-name brand / some random exhausts, chances are you won't get a dyno measurement
sheet with it and will have no way of knowing where that power increase is happening.

9 out of 10 times you'll end up with a louder and slower scooter.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:25 PM »
I have a homemade air filter using Unifoam. Cut out the corrugated in my stock and inserted a cut piece of Unifoam, sprayed with oil of course. Then I added a GPR trapezoid muffler, keeping what they call db killer inside. It's like a baffle. I did not want it real loud, was looking more for performance.

Quicker acceleration, seems to breathe easier, however, at highway speeds the rpms are somewhat higher. So, once at 65 or 70mph, I roll the throttle up, then back off and let the gears change. It did affect highway rpms.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »
Different exhausts have a different torque/power curve, even if they might add power at certain
revs (that a stock scooter maybe can't even reach).

What are the chances that the new one you buy will have a curve that fits perfectly in the rev range
you have your scooter's CVT setup for at the moment? 0%. :)

Most performance exhausts actually have LOWER power and torque figures in the mid-range and then
a bit extra at the top, and you gotta tune your CVT to reach that.

If you buy a no-name brand / some random exhausts, chances are you won't get a dyno measurement
sheet with it and will have no way of knowing where that power increase is happening.

9 out of 10 times you'll end up with a louder and slower scooter.

true true, once you start thinking about it and analyzing it... then comes the backpressure debate over time lol

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 11:57:06 PM »
I have a homemade air filter using Unifoam. Cut out the corrugated in my stock and inserted a cut piece of Unifoam, sprayed with oil of course. Then I added a GPR trapezoid muffler, keeping what they call db killer inside. It's like a baffle. I did not want it real loud, was looking more for performance.

Quicker acceleration, seems to breathe easier, however, at highway speeds the rpms are somewhat higher. So, once at 65 or 70mph, I roll the throttle up, then back off and let the gears change. It did affect highway rpms.

yes i believe i read your thread about your custom UNI airfilter. genius if i do say so myself :) been contemplating it myself as i have an old air filter from mine lying around ;)  you mentioned higway rpms around 65-70, what do your rpm's run at that speed?

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
I am trying to get a more accurate read with the current air filter/exhaust set up, however, they seem to vary quite a bit depending on terrain and wind. The scoot will now easily run up to 7500 rpms and the speedo keeps climbing. When I roll off some throttle, the gears change or belt tension or something and she drops down to as low as 6500 at 70mph indicated. That's probably about 65 actual mph.

I lilke the way it runs with these mods. The downside is it seems to be spinning more. Still getting an accurate read.

See, I bought a 1994 Honda Magna VF750 motorcycle and have been playing with that. It's a v4 and man is it fun. Not as refined as my scoot. A lot quicker. Had to do a 250 mile round trip the other day and rode it instead of Ruby, my '09 Xciting 500. For longer day trips like that, I prefer the Magna. It gets the job done quicker and the v4 is a sweetheart on the road.

Not as good gas mileage though. Scoot = 50-55mpg. Magna=35-40 depending on how often the throttle gets twisted. My throttle hand seems to have a mind of its own when holding that one.
2009 Xciting 500

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
Have you done any mods on your Magna?
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »
No performance mods, it's plenty fast enough. At least so far. No guarantees for the future, though. I have added a Memphis Shades windshield, highway pegs, Saddlemen seat, a couple of things like that.
2009 Xciting 500

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 10:13:54 PM »
I have a new GPR muffler for the Xciting 500 that I am selling. And it fits any others with same size pipe. I bought if for the scooter I traded for a m/c. I am taking pics later today and will be posting in the for sale board later.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:39:15 PM by bongoman »
2009 Xciting 500

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 04:56:02 AM »
If you will adjust the Pilot Screws 2 3/4 turns out (may have to remove the cap that covers them), replace the 102 Mains with 105 Mains, it will run better and smoother,  smooths out the midrange lull before it hits at 5K rpm. 

Edit: I forgot to include add a 2mm shim under each needle.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:26:57 AM by TLRam1 »
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

M1A2 Tech

• Hello from the Philippines!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 06:36:58 AM »
Very Interesting! But for you Knowledgeable Folks:

I have a 2102 Dink 200i (Yeager) here in the Philippines and have found no local (Manila) source for a Full System (F.S.) that includes the O2 Sensor. But GPR UK lists the following:
 KYMCO X-CITING 250 I.E. EXHAUST - LAMBDA SENSOR FS so I am wondering if this would work on my "Little" Scoot??
Input/ suggestions most welcome. Thanks, Chris

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 08:44:48 PM »
I have a new GPR muffler for the Xciting 500 that I am selling. And it fits any others with same size pipe. I bought if for the scooter I traded for a m/c. I am taking pics later today and will be posting in the for sale board later.

is the gpr, made for the xciting or just universal for the same size pipes. mine being a fuel injected, im assuming the computer would compensate for the higher flow pipe tuning wise. i may be interested :) i have heard the gpr pipes on other bike and i like how they sound. its a straight through isnt it?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()