Author Topic: Tires  (Read 7285 times)

streetdown

• View Profile
Tires
« on: September 19, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
Has anyone changed their tires yet? I was thinking about putting Pirelli Diablo's on. Any thoughts?

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »
Diablo's are great tires, but I'd prefer City Grips because they handle imperfect road conditions better (rain, dirt...).
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »
I got city grips on my Agility and I'm very happy with them.
It's amazing what they did with the overall ride comfort, I never thought
a tire can make such a difference.

I'll just mention that if your (original poster) Downtown 300 came with Kenda tires,
stick with them until they wear out, they're very good actually.

No idea about the Maxxis tires some get (I had bad experiences with more then
one maxxis tire both on scooters and bicycles).
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:44:15 AM »
I have been running Avon Viper strike on my 125 and had good luck with them. I have been thinking of trying them on the 300I but I may run another Kenda on the back as the front is not even half down yet. If I go with avon I like to change both together.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »
so far I am happy with the stock tires performance. Make sure though you get at least a Q sr rating but I most likely will get the stock tires when it comes time.

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:46:04 PM »
so far I am happy with the stock tires performance.
What are your stock tires?
Mine are the Maxxis. Thusfar no complaints about them, but have only 2000 km on them in fair weather.
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 05:08:09 PM »
I stumbled across these (Micheline Pilot Sport SC) in my futile search for the Pilot Road 3's in a scooter size. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/13255/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-SC-Performance-Radial-Rear-Tire.aspx They also come in none radial if you want a cheaper tire. Mine are about gone at 4K, which is slightly on the disappointing side. I'm curious to see what the radial brings in terms of wear and handling. I'm wondering if the radials are worth the extra $$. However, I don't skimp on safety, and tires should probably fall under that category, I might give them a shot.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
I stumbled across these (Micheline Pilot Sport SC) in my futile search for the Pilot Road 3's in a scooter size. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/13255/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-SC-Performance-Radial-Rear-Tire.aspx They also come in none radial if you want a cheaper tire. Mine are about gone at 4K, which is slightly on the disappointing side. I'm curious to see what the radial brings in terms of wear and handling. I'm wondering if the radials are worth the extra $$. However, I don't skimp on safety, and tires should probably fall under that category, I might give them a shot.

I wouldn't expect any noticeable handling or wear differences with the radial, so don't
waste your money. If the radial was OEM/stock, then it would be a good idea, but..

Radials are stock on heavier, more powerful scoots, and probably for a good reason.
I wouldn't waste my money.

And oh yeah, the Pilot Sport SC's are equivalent to the Pilot Power or Power Pure, read: more
sport then touring oriented compound, so that's where the grip AND the wear is coming from.

Pilot Road 2/3's?
Look up the Gold Standard and City Grip.
That's about the same category (if you can even compare tires like these).
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »
  I just changed my tires front & back to diablo,s the rear maxis tire was worn to the threads, at 10,000 km. the front tire looks new ,  will keep it for a spare,  I had to tighten the exhaust at the block, it started to sound like a H.D. from blow by at wot     so take it easy when removing muffler,  the tires feel the same as the maxis tires to me , I havent riden a bike for over 20 years,!!  my golden hawk is the best fun Ive had ever,.(canadian  color gold,) I have not seen another downtown 300i yet ,   I would like to raise the seat 1 1/2 "  I think that would be more comfy, is there 1/2 " plastic available that will bend under heat to follow the shape of the tub,  ottawa is a gov. town not much available here,. may have to go to toronto to look for some ideas,.   dose any one know what the tubs are made of ,. de- dee  the tinman

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 04:26:57 AM »
If you are going re-upholster then add 2" or so of padding to the front and this would also give you a more level seat to sit rearward if you like too? Just an idea.................

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
Pilot 2/3 are dual compound tires. Hard in the center for touring and longevity, but soft on the outsides for corning performance. I'm not particularly sold on the radials, although I'm curious about them, don't know if I'm curious enough to overcome cost. They are heavier (don't know if its significant) They have better road contact than bias. Better ride, better transitioning response, i.e. better on uneven surfaces such as groovy surfaces, and last longer. However, I'm not really sure that translates to anything substantial for us, or is just theoretical. It's not like we're riding high performance heavy bikes. Whatever I get, I'd like something that lasts longer than 3.5k miles without sacrificing performance to much.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »
  I just changed my tires front & back to diablo,s the rear maxis tire was worn to the threads, at 10,000 km. the front tire looks new ,  will keep it for a spare,  I had to tighten the exhaust at the block, it started to sound like a H.D. from blow by at wot     so take it easy when removing muffler,  the tires feel the same as the maxis tires to me , I havent riden a bike for over 20 years,!!  my golden hawk is the best fun Ive had ever,.(canadian  color gold,) I have not seen another downtown 300i yet ,   I would like to raise the seat 1 1/2 "  I think that would be more comfy, is there 1/2 " plastic available that will bend under heat to follow the shape of the tub,  ottawa is a gov. town not much available here,. may have to go to toronto to look for some ideas,.   dose any one know what the tubs are made of ,. de- dee  the tinman

You can get a hunters seat from cabelas.com and just put it on top of the seat.  Make sure you like it - then have a upholstery shop add foam and recover it.  There are several that specialize in motorcycle seats, and that will do it through the mail. 
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

streetdown

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
I have purchased Diablo's front and rear. Will have them put on tomorrow and let every one know how they ride.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »

I am at 7,500 KM on the stock rear tire and have loads of life left. I can say I am pretty easy on the rear brakes though as that is my riding style. Only once in an emergncy stop had slight slippage of the rear tire................

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
I got 14000 K on the original tires. I put on Diablo's last fall. They have worked well in the cold and lots of rain this spring.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()