Author Topic: Rubber plug in bodywork under the right front of Ri seat  (Read 1455 times)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Rubber plug in bodywork under the right front of Ri seat
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:11:01 AM »
There is a 1" diameter rubber plug in the bodywork under the right front of the 500 Ri seat.  Is this supposed to be some sort of access?  I am wanting to wire in a rocker switch "ON - OFF - (Momentary ON)" to control additional lights and a garage remote.   It would fit fine in this hole and be easy enough to use - but I was wondering what is this hole for? 

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
Re: Rubber plug in bodywork under the right front of Ri seat
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »
I've wondered the same thing on my '09.  I have not taken the time to pop it out and see what is behind it.  If I needed a place to locate a 12 V outlet or a switch I would take it out and see what is behind it.  If what you put there does not interfere with any thing else or prevent access (and I have never needed to access anything there) i would go ahead and use it.  I have not seen anything in the manuals that shows a use for it.  Maybe one of our friends in Europe or Asia has seen a use for it.  I have thought about trying to use it for a 12V outlet for GPS, but have plenty of cable to plug it in under the seat.  If you decide to use it keep us posted.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »
There is a lot of room behind it and I couldn't find anything where you would stick a screwdriver through it to adjust something.  My guess is that the 12v accessory plug was originally supposed to be there - but they switched it to be a phone charging port because the bike doesn't seem to have enough extra electrical juice to run a heated vest...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
Sounds like it was made for your switch... :)  I was looking at it for the accessory outlet.  Was thinking of running a fused circuit directly from the battery.  That way it could be used for a trickle charger or battery tender as well.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

500_Monkeys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:21:23 AM »
I'm contemplating using that hole for a 12V inlet to attach a Battery Charger.  A quick way to trickle charge the batter, without having the seat up.

MYD 2009 Kymco Xciting 500Ri ABS - Assembled October 2011

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »
I've got my garage door opener wired into it because I couldn't see that blocking it would get in the way of anything.  It's a perfect spot for an accessory outlet if you have heated gear.  I'm guessing it was originally intended for that and they changed to the phone charger under the seat (right next to it) because it would use less power - but anyone's guess is as good as mine.  I can use the other half of the switch for a constant on source - but I haven't decided if I want to use it for heated grips, additional LED lights, a headlight modulator...  I'm going to mount the Stebel horn and the LED battery gauge that I already have - and hold off on anything else till after Christmas.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()