Author Topic: My ZX-50 starts and runs great but dies after 5 mins or after top speed.  (Read 4504 times)

Supremeteam

• View Profile
The title pretty much tells it all. I have a stock ZX-50 that last year all of a sudden started dying. I put it up and at the beginning of this year took out the carb and cleaned it. I thought that might do it but no it didn't. I can start the scooter and it will idle all day. I can ride it slowly around in circles and no problem. But when I take it up the street and give it some gas it gets up to speed and then the engine just shuts down. What can I do?

kymcopolska

• View Profile
Re: My ZX-50 starts and runs great but dies after 5 mins or after top speed.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:43:11 PM »
how does it "shut down"?   and does it happen all the time?   could be the cdi?  mines doing the same thing.  when i drive in the morning when its chilly its rides good but once it gets hot or humid.  after like 5 miles it acts up and bogs out and dies.  after 10 mins its starts up and rides and does the same thing over again.

Supremeteam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:28:13 PM »
When it dies It does bog out for a second then dead. It comes back after 5 or 10 mins. I spoke to my friend who had got it going when I first got it. He had replaced the CDI to get it going cuz the old one was bad. He said he doubts that it is the CDI because if it was that it wouldn't run at all. He just told me to check the plug so that means I'll change that. I just have to find out what plug it takes.

kymcopolska

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »
true.  but sometimes the cdi can work and sometimes it doesnt.  i changed my plug twice already and it does the same thing  the plug is a NGK BR8HSA.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:17:54 AM »
as far as I know, cdi units can play up when they warm up, it may be dodgy. Just curiously, do you have oil in your oil tank, also, can you confirm oil is going to the engine, eg. has the oil level dropped since you last checked it. If no oil getting through it could be a blockage in the lines or the pump not working. check that the pump cable is adjusted correctly.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:43:12 AM »
as far as I know, cdi units can play up when they warm up, it may be dodgy. Just curiously, do you have oil in your oil tank, also, can you confirm oil is going to the engine, eg. has the oil level dropped since you last checked it. If no oil getting through it could be a blockage in the lines or the pump not working. check that the pump cable is adjusted correctly.

Seems like sid is on something with the oil, it's a good safety check too.lol.. I always thought the cdi could act up and/or the rectifier act up at odd times
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

Supremeteam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 03:55:29 AM »
Ok I'll check the oil first as that is most important. I can't say that the level has dropped as it hasn't gone far but like I sati it does idle. So if the oil was a problem wouldn't it be at idle also if the bike were to sit running for 30 mins?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 04:05:08 AM »
Yes, that is true, just thinking that if not getting enough oil at speed, the engine will over heat and sieze. Other options would be fuel filter blocked, not allowing enough fuel to run at speed, blocked air filter causing a rich condition, though that would also effect at idle, then the cdi or coil.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 05:34:58 AM »
I would  do a road side spark test as soon as it stalls. Stators will fail when hot (Hi-Rpm's). Also try adding 1/2 Oz. 2t oil to the fuel tank. If your pump is failing that will eliminate that culprit. Also there is a mesh screen in the oil tank attached to the oil line that may be reducing the oil flow. I have found it much easier to replace the stator, cdi, and coil all at once to eliminate all of them in one shot. Then you can replace your used parts one at a time until you replicate the prob.  Then throw out the bad one, and keep the spares. Don,t worry about the regulator as it only controls the charging system.  PS... Don't listen to anyone here on the forum (You can't trust a guy that always smells like a lawnmower)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: my lil" red demon
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 06:02:03 AM »
Well, I'll be buggered, you are back. :) Good to see you are still around, hope you have been well. We are still struggling with these zx50s.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:44:03 AM »
 no doubt my brother. All is just peachy in the swamp. Gonna do a complete re-build on the zx this week so I wanted to see what's up! Glad to see you're still helping out
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: my lil" red demon
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 10:23:47 AM »
Good to hear. I don't know about helping, but trying.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
no doubt my brother. All is just peachy in the swamp. Gonna do a complete re-build on the zx this week so I wanted to see what's up! Glad to see you're still helping out

SoOOOOOO, Does that mean you'll come home again?(bowing in your presense....lol)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 01:57:10 AM »
Ok Bats. What do you want? Money!     (bowing in your presense....lol)

xhellmanx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 08:37:45 PM »
I have the same problem with my vibe. Except mine doesn't cut out. It will idle all day long no probs. it runs perfect for about 5 mins. Or until I go up a hill or something. Then it Boggs to an idle and doesn't get any throttle at all. Just idles. If I do give it some gas it just makes a rank bogging noise and doesn't move. Turn it off let it cool off for a couple or hours then can ride it again for 5 mins. Please help!!!!!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()