Author Topic: New Super 8 150 but have some issues-- help!  (Read 4361 times)

hzelaya

• View Profile
New Super 8 150 but have some issues-- help!
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:19:49 PM »
I just bought a new 2009 Super 8 150 and everything was fine and I had the first service and everything and at about 400 miles someone told me to use the kick start to save battery and now it won't start unless I give it some throttle, both electric or kick, what could be the issue? I'm new to this scooter thing and I just want to want to make sure everything is fine!

hzelaya

• View Profile
Re: New Super 8 150 but have some issues-- help!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »
Update to the situation even though no one commented, I forgot to mention that I parked my scooter and forget to switch the kill switch to "off" so it remained in the "on" position for about 2 hours.  This was enough time to fry something because it would not start unless I gave it gas.  When I went to take it to the dealer it started right up the next day, both kick and electric so the issue was fixed on its own!  Hope this helps someone!

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
So, it wasn't doing doing this before the tune up?
It sounds like a carb problem to me.  If you need to give it gas when starting then it is most likely a little flooded, so a twist of the throttle is need to encourage the system to clear.
I had this problem on a motorcycle that I owned.  It bugged me, but did not hurt the performance of the bike.
Your dealer probably needs to adjust the carburetor floats.
Your kill switch or kick starter most likely have nothing to do with the problem.

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:15 AM »
What should i ask the dealer to do? I want to make sure I say the right thing since I'm going in for my 600 mile service soon. I still don't understand why the kill switch drains the battery though

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »
Plus should the back wheel be turning during idle? When my scoot is on the center stand the back tire is rotating, is that bad ? Could that be linked to the starting issue?

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »
Your back tire will spin depending on your engine idle speed.  It will almost always do this at start up and it is not a problem.
The wheel spinning shouldn't have anything to do with your starting problem.
You can tell your dealer to adjust the carburetor properly, but he may tell you that is not the problem.
Your kill switch should not be draining your battery.  I usually leave mine in the off position, but can't imagine leaving it on would drain the battery.
Is you battery dead now?  I think I am misunderstanding your issue with the battery.

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:13:30 PM »
No See that's what I don't understand. It only happens when the switch is in the on position. Everyone says that shouldn't do anything but idk what I should ask the deal to do. I turn off the scooter, it is completely off and the keys are out and it still drains something because it won't start without me giving it gas. It shouldn't have any starting issues at I would think

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 09:53:38 PM »
At this point, when you turn the key to on and have the kill switch to run, do the lights go on and does the starter turn?

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:02:56 AM »
Yeah everything works fine, thats why I know its not the battery because the lights and dashboard lights all work, the clock too.  I was told maybe to use seafoam but I used it before when I was having a throttle response issue and it didnt do anything so I actually thought it made the issue worse

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
This sounds like a carburetor adjustment issue.  If you can get used to giving it a little throttle when you start it then maybe you can live with it.
Otherwise, have a good mechanic adjust the carburetor floats to factory specs.

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 03:29:03 AM »
So should I tell the dealer to adjust the carburetor floats?  They dont really like how requently I have stopped by but they charge a bunch for labor so I dont want to keep wasting money when I just want one thing fixed.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »
If you bought a new scooter and it is under warranty...why are you paying labor??

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 04:44:19 AM »
They claim it's not a factory issue and they charge 100 bucks an hr

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »
You are getting screwed. Find a new dealer.

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 01:45:16 AM »
Im going to bring it up before I get it checked out because they cant charge me anything if it is under warranty.  I was afraid to say anything because that dealer only cares about motorcycles and acts like scooters are not as important.  There arnt any other major dealers in Northern VA so Im kinda stuck with these guys.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()