Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 6134 times)

hzelaya

• View Profile
Newbie questions
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:02:12 AM »
I just was wondering if there is an issue if my super 8 150 wont start unless I give it some throttle?  Both the kick start and electric start wont do anything unless I give it gas and I have never had any issues before!  My scooter was bought in Aug and only has 400+ miles on it and I dont understand why this would be happening... Any info would be greatly appreciated since I am new to this scooter world as the super 8 was my first scooter and also the first thing that I officially own.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 02:22:27 AM »
All new scoots will have break-in maintenance issues. There are at least a dozen things that will cause you problem. Take it to the dealer, and let them do an inspection for you. Ask Ask Ask everything they checked until they find it. That way you will begin to build a base knowledge of sympton/cause/cure. It is something they can do in an hour or so, (maybe 15 seconds or less to adjust the idle mix) Don't ask me how to do that tho as there are DOZENS of posts here explaining it. The dealer should not charge you for this, so all you will loose is the time to take it there, and if you ASK ASK ASK what they looked at, and how it was remedied you will start to seeeeeeeee. Keep posting, and let us know what you learned. Your new found knowledge will most certainly help the next guy that searches for the same answer. You Have a GREAT scoot hzelaya, and w/ PROPER service it just may out last the bunch of us.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:52:22 AM »
Thanks again for youre help!  I just want to make sure I do everything I can to keep my scooter running and when it wouldnt start it freaked me out!  I will probably take it tomorrow or Tuesday and hopefully they wont charge me anything but I will ask as many questions as I can and definetly post what they tell me so that I can help someone else out!

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:45 PM »
I went to take my super 8 to the dealer and it started up fine, both kick and electric, so I rode it around and when I got back it still started up fine so I think I know what the issue was.  When the problem happened I left my scooter with the starter switch in the "on" for about two hours and when I got back thats when that issue happened.  That must of been enough to drain the battery to the point of it not having enough energy to start.  Hopefully this will help someone!  Dont leave the switch in the "on" postion when you leave it parked.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »
And try to keep the same amount of change in BOTH of your pockets to avoid driving in circles. Glad it running Bro!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:51:25 PM »
Left it parked again and this time it was for 20ish minutes and it wouldnt start again without gas. I'm assuming that it will start up fine today but I don't think the starter switch is suppose to drain the battery. I'm so confused

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:37:24 PM »
You shouldn't be able to remove the key with the ignition on.  If you leave it with the ignition on then someone could start it up and drive away.  Are you leaving it in your garage with the key in it and the ignition on?

My Burgman's had a key setting for "park" which left parking lights on with the handlebars locked.  It was good for parking for a few minutes at night - but more than once I cursed it because I left it that way when I parked at work and came out to a dead battery.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
you may need a new battery.....or a tender.......stock batterys are crap...even on kymcos......they drain just by looking at them.....

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »
I dont leave it running, I left it off but with the kill switch in the on position like it is when you are riding.  The scooter isnt running, lights arent running, nothing is just that the kill switch is in the on position.  So this issue is a battery issue?  I heard switching to LED lights are better for the battery but I have no idea where to start with that.

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 01:10:54 AM »
Whats the best kind of battery anyway because I hope my stock battery lasts me at least a year, I dont know if that is average for a scooter battery though

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 02:22:31 PM »
All aftermarket batteries are better than the stock battery - and that goes for every motorcycle brand.  I don't have a particular brand that I prefer - but I would recommend paying a bit extra to get a 24 month battery, and a 24 month gel battery would top my list.

The kill switch on the handlebar shouldn't make any difference.  The position the key switch is left in is what is important.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
All aftermarket batteries are better than the stock battery - and that goes for every motorcycle brand.
Really!? BMW Germany: Varta. Kymco Germany: Yuasa. Peugeot: Panasonic.

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »
Well then something is up with the kill switch switch because it totally drains something because it doesnt start up if I leave it in the on position for more than 20 minutes.  Some people have said its the carburator but what do I tell the dealer since I will be going for my 600 mile service in under a week.  When the bike is on the center stand the back tire is rotating, should it be doing that when it is idling?  I read somewhere that thats an issue but I dont know for sure

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
Ignition switch should kill everything, even the kill switch.  If the ign switch is off, there should be no battery drain.  Maybe it is not the battery, after all, even though it is an origional battery, it is still new.  Just a guess from a non-mech, it is a fuel problem.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 07:47:28 PM »
Really!? BMW Germany: Varta. Kymco Germany: Yuasa. Peugeot: Panasonic.

Point taken...  I should have worded it that you can get an aftermarket battery of any brand that is better than any stock battery.  The stock batteries are 12 month lead acid batteries.  A 24 month gel battery will be both lighter and more reliable.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()