Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 6131 times)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »
Well then something is up with the kill switch switch because it totally drains something because it doesnt start up if I leave it in the on position for more than 20 minutes.  Some people have said its the carburator but what do I tell the dealer since I will be going for my 600 mile service in under a week.  When the bike is on the center stand the back tire is rotating, should it be doing that when it is idling?  I read somewhere that thats an issue but I dont know for sure

For the back tire to be rotating when it is on the centerstand is not a problem.

You aren't leaving it with the key in the on position are you?  The kill switch shouldn't make any difference once the key is turned off...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »
I emailed the kymco website and asked about my idling since my rear tire rotates when it is on the center stand. I thought that this would be linked to my kill switch problem but idk. This is what he said

Kymco dealer-
When the scooter is started with a cold engine, the auto-bystarter (some
people  refer to this as the electric choke) injects extra fuel into the
carb, causing the engine to rev a little higher, which will cause the back
tire to rotate. As the engine warms up, the auto-bystarted circuit is slowly
closed and the engine returns to its normal idle speed. At this point, the
rear wheel will still rotate, but very slowly. This is why the scooter
should always be started  on the center stand and should never be left
unattended!!

-----Original Message-----

Is this true?

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 10:46:56 PM »
Yes it is true . If your rear wheel dosn't spin slowly at idle on the center stand your rear brakes are adjusted to tight .

bthmtech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 10:57:34 PM »
you need to check for a key off draw take the negitive batt cable off and put a test light between the cable and the batt if the light come on you have a key off draw , also check batt voltage it should about 12.56v ,then check running voltage it should be about 14.2v

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »
Is this true?   Yes. And back to the need to throttle to start. You may have a clogged idle air adjustment port in the carb. Add @ oz. of Sea foam to the tank as this is always helpfull. Next turn in the idle air adjustment screw till it bottoms out. Count the turns carefully so you have a base setting to return to. That will dislodge any small particles. Next return it to its orig. position. Start the scoot, turn the screw 1/4 turn in any direction, and note the change in rpms. If they drop go in the opposite direction. The goal is to get the highest rpms. When you get that turn the screw 1/4 turn counter clockwise to richen the mix. That is all there is to it. PLEASE don't ask where the screw is...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 01:50:03 AM »
I added sea foam and I had no response from the throttle when I started it 3 weeks ago and it worried me to the point of going to the dealer and they said they had to see the issue for themselves and it never did it when they were inspecting it.  KYMCO USA said it was moisture build up from the rain that had been occurring so Im unsure of seafoam

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 04:20:08 AM »
Understood. Don't doubt the attributes of seafoam as it truly does what it claims, and then some. Just google it, and look for third party responses. Your dealer may be correct (a first for me to admit) but if he/she is, then the seafoam will prove that out. If not then try what I suggested, and see what happens. The jets in the carbs. we use will NOT pass a sewing needle so imagine how small a particle it takes to affect performance. It's just a machine.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 09:15:45 AM »
Point taken...  I should have worded it that you can get an aftermarket battery of any brand that is better than any stock battery.  The stock batteries are 12 month lead acid batteries.  A 24 month gel battery will be both lighter and more reliable.

Not true. In both my Kymcos OEMs are gel batteries.

I also do not understand what these "12 months" and "24 months" are supposed to mean. Lead acid batteries in scooters typically last around 36 months or 3 years.

My gf's Agility has been on the road for 4 years and my People for 3 years + time to reach us and be purchased. Both still have OEM gel batteries.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:18:01 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 03:12:17 AM »
Well as long as the starting issue only occurs if I leave the kill switch in the on position I will just be more conscience about it.  I am going in to the dealer for my final break in service (600 mi) on monday and i will bring it up to see what they say.  Does it really matter if I went above the 40 mph indicated speed for the break in period because I did and I dont want to worry that I ruined my scoot because I didnt follow the manual to a t

garumn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 03:55:18 AM »
And try to keep the same amount of change in BOTH of your pockets to avoid driving in circles. Glad it running Bro!

^This might be one of the funniest things I have ever read!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aaron
2009 Kymco Xciting 250Ri

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 03:27:02 AM »
Stupid dealer keeps telling me they want me to leave my scoot over night in order to better diaginosis my problem.  Its obvious it has an issue when the kill switch is left in the on position but I dont think they really care

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 10:36:27 PM »
Point taken...  I should have worded it that you can get an aftermarket battery of any brand that is better than any stock battery.  The stock batteries are 12 month lead acid batteries.  A 24 month gel battery will be both lighter and more reliable.
[/quote]
My Yager came with a gel battery.  I don't know if 12, 24 or 56 months.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

hzelaya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »
Is stock battery gel or lead acid?

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 08:10:33 AM »
Obviously depending on the country.
Europe seems to be supplied with durable gel batteries (at least the southern and central "scooter nations").

jomama

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 12:55:14 PM »
Over the years I hve seen several kill switches go bad on Hondas and Harleys . On these scooters the engine spins even the kill switch is on. Bad idea to begin with. Most new motorcycles do absolutely nothing when the starter button is presed and the kill switch is on. So right away you look at the switch. If you are having a problem when you leave the switch on then just shut the machine off with the key. On the battery issue, I actually had a Yusa Exide acid battery in a 82 Honda that went 12 yrs. A stock HD gel battery that went 8yrs and still strong. My 40 yrs of experience has shown that most standard acid  motorcycle batt go only 2 yrs max. Your choice here but I think the gel is the way to go. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()