Author Topic: Slow Leak  (Read 2096 times)

fshfindr

• View Profile
Slow Leak
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:09:10 PM »
I have a slow air leak in my Yager 200 rear tire.  I have not verified it yet but I suspect the valve.  I have a spare valve center, I don't know the name.  I want to know if anyone thinks that a replacement valve center might correct the problem.  It seems like an easy fix, just unscrew the old and screw in the new.

Thanks in advance,
Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Leak
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:04:09 AM »
Schrader valve core. If you deflate the tire to install one add 1/2 can of fix-a-flat. It will seal any potential/future leak, and balance your tire while riding. Slow leaks are most often from corrosion on the rim around the bead caused by the powder-coat failing.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:52:23 AM »
Pump the tire up to at least recommended max pressure, and spray the valve area with a mixture of dish soap and water and look for the bubbles to form.  If not there, spray the rest of the tire and look for the bubbles to find your leak.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:16:56 AM »
all good suggestions but i would not discount your picking up a nail or screw in your tire....i mention this as i recently bought a new dt 300...after about a week i began noticing it was loosing air....what confirmed it was when i went to the scooter the next day it had keeled over...fortunately it was parked right next to a long rubber lawn chair....so no major damage to the scooter....here's what happened.... as the tire lost more air the scooter itself reached a "tipping point" so that the kick stand moved forward (as the tire deflated)....and would no longer support the scooter...so by all means check the valve but also get that scooter up on the center stand and inspect the tire for a nail.....good luck....

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I am quite certain that there is no nail or other object.  I will first try the soapy water which I should have thought of myself.  I'll let you know what I find.  I thought that tire people did not reccommend the "fix a flat" stuff.  Has anyone had experience with it?

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
You might check that your existing valve stem core is completely seated - but they do occasionally fail.  They have a little spring in them that closes the valve, and that valve can get damaged - especially if the valve core isn't all the way in. 

I also recommend spending a couple of bucks on some good metal valve caps.  If your valve leaks then a good cap can help keep the air in your tires...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »
I cannot recommend a Fix-a-Flat product for scooter use.
There are water-basewd ones that will rust the rim, please don't use them
The other type, like green slime,  should not cause the rust, but I wonder about
them changing the balance of the wheel.

The Schraeder valve core is an easy replacement.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
MaryK, that's what I had heard, I will avoid putting anything in the tire except air.

Thanks,
Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: my lil" red demon
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:12:48 PM »
Scooter wheels are not made of steel, I doubt rust would be a pqoblem.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
if it is just the valve your home free....more recently there are sealant products out there ...that actually work and do not harm the tire...check...out "Ride-on tire ballancer and sealent " at amazon or goggle to u-tube for a demo....

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
So I pumped it up by about 10lbs.  Put a little spit on top and watched for about a minute.  No bubbles appeared.  I know, I didn't wait long enough.  But I switched the valve core anyway.  I also looked at the Ride-on tire balancer and sealant and it looks good.  I'll wait about 2 weeks to see if there is still a leak, then try the Ride on.
Thanks for the advice, you guys always come through.

I'll let you know,
Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »
Testing for a leak with the tire on the scooter!

The tire leak can be tested in a water bath; easy if you have a center stand.

You get a large plastic tub;
    long enough & wide enough for the tire to sit in it
   and tall enough so the water will cover the rim where the tire seals to the wheel.

With strong friends or a jack, raise the leaky wheel until the tub will fit under the wheel.
    a lot of flexing and bending of the tub is allowed.

Add water and watch for bubbles.  
If you can raise the water level to cover where the valve stem seals to the rim, so much better.

Slowly turn the wheel in the tub.  Remember to check both sides of the rim as well as the tire itself.
Mark the rim where the leak is (we use a red grease pencil)

Apply the appropriate leak repair.

Retest if necessary.

The water should be discarded, never drunken

Scoot safely

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
I know, I know, it took me 3 months to give a final report.  Two weeks after installing a new schreader core, I still had a slow leak.  The new schreader gut did not work, I thought.  I guess I got a little pssd and cranked the core down much harder than I thought it should be.  Two weeks later, the pressure was unchanged, three weeks later, I declared it repaired.  How 'bout that?  It just has to be very tight.  Live and learn.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:35:54 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 01:36:46 AM »
Excellent!

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: re: my lil" red demon
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 03:34:14 AM »
Scooter wheels are not made of steel, I doubt rust would be a pqoblem.

Yes, they are not made of steel but aluminum alloy mostly. However, aluminum also corrodes. The worst enemy of our wheels is dog piss.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()