Author Topic: Malossi reed valve setting  (Read 1476 times)

Kragster

• View Profile
Malossi reed valve setting
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:35:41 AM »
Gents... My Malossi kit said to gap the red valve at 8mm. However, it did not fully cover the plate (open space on the side), so I gapped the stock one at 8mm.
The bike SCREAMs up the hills...just hate to eat the reed valve in my new kit. Any advice?

05 People 2 stroke, Malossi ignition, Leo pipe...etc

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: Malossi reed valve setting
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
The Malossi reeds that come with the kit do not work. Exactly like you said "it did not fully cover the plate".

Took me days to figure out why my brand new kit would only idle and not accept any throttle. Maybe that's why my first kit seized after less than 100 miles. Anyway, it was one of the most frustrating things I had to deal with with my kit. I had an epiphany one night at about 3am. I put my old reeds in the next day and EUREKA! I guess the kit must be used for multiple engines. I think Scooterworks sells carbon fiber sheets so you can cut out your own. The stock ones work fine for me.

Hope this helps you or somebody else installing the Malossi kit.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
Re: Malossi reed valve setting
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:30:39 PM »
Yeah, the stock reeds are pretty decent actually.  In many Minarelli engines, the reeds are metal and will ruin the engine if they break, but on our Kymco the stock reeds are safe enough.  I have had very few problems with Kymco reeds.  Ever.

The reeds that come with the kit do fit the Minarelli engine.  I've got a nice pile of them in my toolbox. :)

Ciao!

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()