Author Topic: People 250 wobbly steering  (Read 2546 times)

beeboytroy

• View Profile
People 250 wobbly steering
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »
Bought my wife a used 2006 People 250 with tons of miles on it. Noticed it not only shimmies at high speeds but it also does it at low speeds. My mechanic said to stand in front of scooter and pull scooter towards self then apply front brake. If a "clunk" is felt then the nut in head needs to be tightened. Did this several times and everything felt tight. Also I put front wheel between knees and tried to feel play between steering and wheel. But this also felt tight. My question is ," could this wobble be from the wheels not being balanced?". Has anyone experienced this problem?

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: People 250 wobbly steering
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:08:57 AM »
I've noticed my low-mileage 2007 People 250 has a bit of shimmy on deceleration. Still not sure of the cause, but the first thing I thought of when I first noticed it was "tank slapper!" and having read up on the phenomenon, loosened my grip on the handlebars, which did not help. I figure that ruled THAT out.

So, I'm guessing it's the front tire needing balanced or replaced. It has plenty of tread, but it has been plugged, and that's worried me ever since I did that.

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »
I  have  25000Km on  mine  and have tried  every  fix  in  the  book...The  bike comes with  end  bar  weights..Thers  a  reason!!! Anytime  you  add a top  case to  scooter  it will shake /wobble   or something similar.. "WOBBLE"  does it  bounce  at  speed??

I  have found  that  with  the tires  mounted  properly  and turned  with  the dot  aligned you  really dont  need  a wheel  balance  on  this  bike.. I have done evey type of balance available  ,including DYNA BEEDS...Improvement maybe..This bike  does oscilate  at  speed.. That  is due  to  the  "POGO" stick  front  end..Yes it  is telescopic,but it does not have hydraulic damping and will  begin  to  bounce..

I  have had  three  brands  of  tires thus far,they  all  do  it....Kenda  ,Micheln and Avon..Avon  cupping the least  and tracking best..

Good Luck

P.S. Is  the rim  straight and  true??
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 11:05:55 PM »
Bought my wife a used 2006 People 250 with tons of miles on it. Noticed it not only shimmies at high speeds but it also does it at low speeds. My mechanic said to stand in front of scooter and pull scooter towards self then apply front brake. If a "clunk" is felt then the nut in head needs to be tightened. Did this several times and everything felt tight. Also I put front wheel between knees and tried to feel play between steering and wheel. But this also felt tight. My question is ," could this wobble be from the wheels not being balanced?". Has anyone experienced this problem?

That's not normal.  My 2005 GV250 will wobble if I take my hands off the handlebars at certain speeds ~ 35mph to 45mph? I would remove the front axle - if it comes out easily your forks are fine.  If it is difficult or very difficult to remove and reinstall then your forks are out of alignment: not parallel, or one longer than the other or not in the same plane (bent) so one fork is out in front more and the other is back a bit.  Not likely to be caused by steering bearings or out of balance tire.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()