Author Topic: hard starting.  (Read 3469 times)

blue

• View Profile
hard starting.
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:43:29 AM »
my scoot is starting hard . Is that a sign that maybe it needs valve adjustment and maybe carb cleaned out. I have new plug in and new belt and rollers so far. and fresh oil change.

Drnilly007

• View Profile
Re: hard starting.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 03:03:17 AM »
Check air filter.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
Ok have not done valves or carb yet.But for me to starte my scoot I have to recharge the battery every time. the battery is less the a year old could this mean maybe the stator is going out or gone.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
Is ot hard to kick start too blue or just the electric start?

How are your lights ? Is your rear and headlight still bright when riding?

Just asking cos mine did this at the start of the year and my lights were dim. It was a bad regulator/rectifier on mine tjat was not charging my battery. If you put a volt meter across the terminals of the battery and look at the volts then rwist the throttle when on the centre stand the volts ahould rise. If the voltave stays the same i think that indicates maybe a fault in the stator if it rises then im pretty sure the stator is prob ok. At least that was what my bike mechanic told me to do for a quick check on mine.

When i charged up my battery with a charger i worked for a few weeks then would lose too much chargeso would not start again with electric start. May also be a bad battery?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:00:06 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
Got my scoot to start did valves and cleaned the carb,----------BUT Im not sure what that plunger thing is for on the side of the carb under the throttle cable that thing was a sticky mess.it stell is not working the best can someone tell me what it does. scoot steal starts hard the lights are all good and bright .sometimes the battery wears down befor it starts. good just be I need new battery.this one is not that old. am I missing something not sure what ealse to try.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:04:15 AM by blue »

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 02:07:34 AM »
Hey blue, that thing you are talking about Should be the "accelarater pump".. when you twist the throttle, a flat piece mashes it down..
Maybe totally disassemble the carb to clean it again?
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »
ok thanks I did that took it apart again this morning but its realy bad got scoot to runn but not happy with it. is there a way to by pass that accelarater pump with out buying a new whole carb.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »
ok thanks I did that took it apart again this morning but its realy bad got scoot to runn but not happy with it. is there a way to by pass that accelarater pump with out buying a new whole carb.

"bypassing the accelerator pump" aint something you want to do. That provides a little extra fuel into the plenum of the carb when you wring its neck...  if you think its unhappy and bogging now, just wait until you try and accelerate without a functioning accelerator pump.

I would doubt you could do it either without permanently knackering your carb and/or throttle assembly. I'm with thebatman on this, even after the cleaning you've done, some part of your carb is still gunked - possibly even the channel that the accelerator pump uses to provide its extra little spray of fuel :) .

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »
ok thanks looks like its time for a new carb.I found one on monsterscooterparts .com I think I well order.
for the time being I well deal with this one I have all winter to replace it.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 02:10:56 AM »
i have had the same kind of problem with my scoot but on a more serious scale, if i try to start it up it will only run for 10 secs tops then die and even if it does warm up it will do whats known as "slugging" usually if i try to accelerate it dosnt want to move and might do over 20 mph before waking up and going a little quicker. i have looked into my problem and found that i need to replace the head gasket (was not happy) i thought this made sense as any engine oil leaking into the cylinder would cause the slugging because it cant combust the fuel properly. i never know why people never think that instead of looking at the carb and other parts that they dont think of the head gasket and what shape thats in...just a thought (albeit a long thought)
take care safe riding
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »
after a good clean scoots running darn good.

greagle

• View Profile
Re: hard starting experience Fail
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 03:37:57 AM »
Hey guys, just wanted to add my experience here as of late. 

Indianoplis, IN - picked up a shift on rainy night.  We all know scoots don't do well in extreme moisture (or at least mine never has).  I risked it. 

Bottom line of the post is that it was the main jet and the spark plug cap if you don't care to read further.

So, got out of work and it was below freezing and wet out.  Electric start would start it and it would idle die even with me giving some throttle after about 20 seconds.  I kept working on getting it started via electric and kick for about 20 minutes.  While doing so, and it only starting and then running for 20 seconds at a time, I wore my battery and broke the metal casting that my kick start is encased in.  It had to sit for 3 days until the sun warmed it up/dried it out and I got a battery charger to the site. 

After the battery was 50% charged, and it was dried out and it was above freezing - it started right up.

Finally got it home and took it apart.  Main jet was clogged by about 40%, got that cleaned.  (hadn't been cleaned in over a year) Gave carb a good cleaning.  I had a spare spark plug and thought I should just change it out for the winter anyway.  I pulled the spark plug cap off and no big deal, put my spark plug wrench in there and got plug out.  On the tip of the plug was the internals of the cap.

I was able to get a generic replacement and have an oem ordered and will keep generic for emergency, but in hindsight - even when it wasn't cold out, I have had my scoot die in mid ride.  I am not a mechanic and only recently started doing this stuff myself.  Every time it did this was when it was raining though.  So I assumed that my air filter was getting moisture and air was restricted which caused it. 

Who knows, maybe it was my spark plug and cap vibrating and it caused the engine to die out. 

Just wanted to share incase anyone else is having or had the same problem

Thanks for the forums
B

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
when you pull the spark plug cap off from the plug itself, make sure not to twist it left or right but just pull it straight off.
I guess there is some copper-like part left on the spark plug tip with some treads on it. You can screw it back into the cap but be carefull because there is a spring in the cap and it should be inside pressing this small part back.
It happened to me two or three times , and I tighten this part inside the cap when I clean my spark plug+ I add some conductive grease for better contact. Works good without problems.

Last night I was driving home and there was heavy rain and very cold and scooter started right away and drove very well.
service and adjust your carb, spark plug, fuel/air filter and change oil regulary and you'll have no problem in the wet weather.
and drain tube beneath the air box every two or three days 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:40:34 AM by woodcutter »

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 10:53:27 AM »
and good strong battery is a must  ;D

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
(woodcutter) will i find much in the drain tube what is the purpose of it i have not checked or noticed a drain tube, i have done nearly 2000km on my agility now will i find much in there and is it mainly winter it needs draining.....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()