Author Topic: Verbal Diarrhgnonis  (Read 8052 times)

blue

• View Profile
Re: Verbal Diarrhgnonis
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »
seafoam is good but it cant get it all. Its best to hand clean the carb your self with carb cleaner and a small pin to clean out the jets.

jezyg

• Agility 50 2011 and SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
    • View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 06:09:40 AM »
Hi,
I have Agility 50 4t, as some of you guys complaining up-hill's, yes, same here I have a problem going up.
So, on sunday fill up tank with unleaded 98 and didnt had to try it out to see if it makes any difference yet.

Will keep you posted.

LATERS

Hi,
I have Agility 50 4t, as some of you guys complaining up-hill's, yes, same here I have a problem going up.
So, on sunday fill up tank with unleaded 98 and didnt had to try it out to see if it makes any difference yet.

Will keep you posted.

LATERS

I only put 97 in mine now and it does make it run smoother and more responsive can't say any more power though.
2011 Agility 50
2011 SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Policebooks

Matty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 07:43:10 AM »
A dark spark plug usually means that either you were running rich or you've got a weak spark.  Having a weak spark could also cause it to be weaker at low rpm's and then seem to run better at higher rpm's with more juice.  But I always check the easiest things first.

Running weak at low speed/rpm/throttle - and a dark plug.  Is it possible that either your Fuel screw on the carb has loosened and is making it too rich at low rpm or that possibly the slow air jet has got something obstructing it?  Find out how many turns out your fuel screw should be set at - and make sure it isn't out too far.  It will affect you until about half throttle.  

If it truly runs better above 30 and doesn't run better at 20 with full throttle - then I'm leaning towards a weak spark.  Do you have a good battery with a strong charge?

Thanks jwtr and kisbee. I'll check the fuel screw first to see if that's the problem before disassembling the carb.

Re the battery, I expect it's the one that was in there from new, so it must be around 18 months old. I'll try taking it out for a charge, but given I'm running it 9 miles each way on a daily commute, would this not be enough to charge it thoroughly? or is a separte charger always a good idea from time to time?

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
(matty) 9 miles each way should be more than enough to charge your battery my wife sometimes only goes just over 1 mile each way on her 125 agility to work and her battery is fine, thats assuming your battery and stator etc are all working ok, if it has the power to start of the elec start each day then all must be fine so no need for seperate charging of the battery, if you think your battery is not holding its charge because sometimes there is not enough cranking power when using start and you are having to use kick i would buy a good gel battery rather than a battery charger as it will save messing putting it on charge all the time. I had to fit one on my peugeot kisbee as the battery peugeot fitted had no back bone even from new, turned out peugeot had to replace them as part of a recall in the end as that many people complained about having to kick start. My kymco batt has been fine so far never even tried the kick start as it starts first time although it is only 5 months hold so cant say how it will hold out in winter but so far it seems like the batts they fit are reasonable quality, but remember if its not broke dont fix it.....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:03:34 PM by kisbee »
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

Matty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »
Thanks kisbee. it was starting pretty well until lately off the electric start and even now when it fails to start it seems to have plenty of juice to turn th engine over.

I've ordered a trickle charger just to see if it makes a difference, but sounds like it's back to plan a.

JWTR - the spark plug is new and as above i dont' think it's the battery, so I'll try the fuel screw. THanks.

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
It sounds like your batt is fine if its cranking engine but as a previous poster has said it could be a weak spark and there could be other reasons than the batt so i would not rule it out. Streido has added this manual for download It has a very good diagnosis chart near the end that may well help you and also covers all you need to know to get your hands dirty on this engine...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=bcfea0fd476a8a822a6a6ba786ff02e1&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kymcoforum.com%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D5201.0&v=1&libid=1319026726269&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freefilehosting.net%2F4-stroke50cc-service-manual&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kymcoforum.com%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D5201.15&title=Download%20links%20for%20manuals%20for%20Agility%2050%20etc.&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freefilehosting.net%2F4-stroke50cc-service-manual&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13190267425113

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:22:31 PM by kisbee »
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

Matty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
Great thanks kisbee/Streido. Manual downloaded. Will digest before digging in.

Just had another thought. On 1 full tank if I'm going longer distances I can usually get about 100 miles out of her. In town (stop and start - 60 traffic lights on my way into work!) I usually get around 85-90 miles out of a full tank. Due to my awful acceleration, the throttle is pretty much only ever fully twisted, or off.

Does that sound around normal? Might help in the diagnosis...

Also another newbie question - I'm aquiring parts for the weekend "makeover". The kymco manual says #82 main jet and #35 slow jet. Is the latter a typo? I can only find #135 jets on the web (and they're pretty few and far between)?

Thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance. Matt
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:55:56 PM by Matty »

kanbisk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
Great thanks kisbee/Streido. Manual downloaded. Will digest before digging in.

Just had another thought. On 1 full tank if I'm going longer distances I can usually get about 100 miles out of her. In town (stop and start - 60 traffic lights on my way into work!) I usually get around 85-90 miles out of a full tank. Due to my awful acceleration, the throttle is pretty much only ever fully twisted, or off.

Does that sound around normal? Might help in the diagnosis...

Also another newbie question - I'm aquiring parts for the weekend "makeover". The kymco manual says #82 main jet and #35 slow jet. Is the latter a typo? I can only find #135 jets on the web (and they're pretty few and far between)?

Thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance. Matt

Hi Matt,
check out this link, maybe there is something there for you.

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/guides

LATERS
Agility 50 4 stroke 2008

Drnilly007

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 11:02:10 PM »
That second kick sounds like maybe the rollers are higher weight. Also I saw on youtube someone say that hard starts can sometimes be fixed by valve adjustments.

Matty

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
ok thanks. rollers are next on the list.

right I've had my first attack. Not so successful unfortunately...here's what I've managed:

Removed the carburettor after a bit of a fight - I've managed to destroy one of the bolts holding the throttle cable on to the carburettor. Will have to find a replacement later.

Got the thing open and generally it looked pretty clean. I did however notice the following:

1. The gasket is considerably larger than the channel that it is supposed to run in. So much so that it was impossible to get it to sit inside before reassembly. Is this normal?

2. The air intake (from the air cleaner to the carburettor) was not correctly fitted and there was a bit of dirt inside the carburettor immediately where the air intake pipe attached.

3. The main jet seemed fine, but I couldnt tell what size it was. I replaced it with an 82 anyway, which to the eye looked to have an identical sized hole to the one I took out.

4. I cleaned the idle jet. Then I screwed it back in and it broke (newbie error - overtightened). The hole seemed intact it just split at the top where the screwdriver inserts, so I just left it in as I don't have a replacement at the moment.

5. Fuel lines all seem fine but I replaced the fuel filter with http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-LINE-FUEL-FILTER-Petrol-Diesel-Hose-Pipe-6mm-/250848389239?pt=UK_CartsParts_Vehicles_ATVQuad_Trike_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item3a67baa877 anyway.

So I put it all back together again and tried to start.

Same problem, no change at all. Won't start on the electric start. Takes about 10 kicks to start on the kickstart. Except now I have a new problem:

- when idling, it will idle for a little bit, then rpm will go lower and lower until it cuts out. Runs fine as long as revs are high.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Next on my list is to check the valve clearances but I can't do that till my tools arrive next weekend. Also I'll probably have to replace the idle jet now I broke it.

Any suggestions?

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »
I bought a new Agility 50 last year and I cut the cdi,smooth boss,race variator,iridium plug and all that jazz too and I'm lucky to hit 40 mph on the flats. I truly beleive thats all you're gonna get out of the thing so I would'nt drive myself crazy listening to all these people claiming to get 57-60 mph out of their scoots. I usually cruise at 35-40 mph and I learned to live with it,going up hills is embarrassing,acceleration is kinda slow and it is a hard start when it gets cold.Thats just the way these Agility 50s are I suppose.It would drive me crazy reading about all these people laying rubber and pulling wheelies but occasionally some will tell you the truth that it's running and doing what it was made to do. DONT BUY THE HYPE and learn to enjoy what you have or move up to a bigger scoot.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2011, 10:23:10 PM »
The broken idle jet is causing the latest problem of no longer idling.

Carb gaskets are normally included in rebuild kits because they swell as your did and need to be replaced.  Get a rebuild kit for your carb and use it...  Replacing the main jet when in doubt is always a good idea.    

I'm still suspicious of a weak spark condition...  Pull the plug or just the cap, put a plug into the cap and hold it grounded to the frame or engine by the threaded part of the plug - then hit the electric starter.  Are you getting a bright spark?  Have you tested the battery?  If you don't have a tester then take it in to a battery or auto parts store - they will check it for free.  A dying battery could fit the problem scenario you've been describing.  Ignition problems could too - but make sure your battery is good before looking at anything else...

FWIW:  Having enough juice to turn over the engine doesn't always mean you have enough juice for a good spark.  If you have a weak condensor/coil - then you'll need more electrical power for a good spark than normal - which would make it run better at high rpm, and make electric starting harder.  Check the battery, replace the idle air jet and the gasket - then check your spark and the rest of your ignition...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Matty

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »
Thanks JWTR. I will do as you suggest - replace the broken jet and get the battery tested. I'll report back when I'm done.
I'll see if I can upload a video of the spark firing (or not!)

On the broken jet front, does anyone know what jet I need? Manual says #35 but gives no help beyond there. What types of carb do these kymcos use?

I've found the following - should this work? 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keihin-CVK-FCR-PWK-PE-PD-PWM-PJ-pilot-jets-N424-21-35-/260770801146?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb726a5fa
Matty
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:28:39 AM by Matty »

kanbisk

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »
I bought a new Agility 50 last year and I cut the cdi,smooth boss,race variator,iridium plug and all that jazz too and I'm lucky to hit 40 mph on the flats. I truly beleive thats all you're gonna get out of the thing so I would'nt drive myself crazy listening to all these people claiming to get 57-60 mph out of their scoots. I usually cruise at 35-40 mph and I learned to live with it,going up hills is embarrassing,acceleration is kinda slow and it is a hard start when it gets cold.Thats just the way these Agility 50s are I suppose.It would drive me crazy reading about all these people laying rubber and pulling wheelies but occasionally some will tell you the truth that it's running and doing what it was made to do. DONT BUY THE HYPE and learn to enjoy what you have or move up to a bigger scoot.

I agree - slight hills are killing me. Other day going up on same hill, it look'd like it's a standard 50 2 stroke flew passed me - I couldnt keep up, embarressing.
Agility 50 4 stroke 2008

Matty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 07:48:11 AM »

I've found the following - should this work? 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keihin-CVK-FCR-PWK-PE-PD-PWM-PJ-pilot-jets-N424-21-35-/260770801146?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb726a5fa
Matty

Sorry to nag, folks. I'm eager to get this ordered - had to come in to work on the pushbike today... Does the above jet look like the right one? Failing that which carbs do the kymco 50s use and I'll work it out for myself.

Thanks
Matt

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()