Author Topic: Euro Headlight?  (Read 3398 times)

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
Euro Headlight?
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:45:34 AM »
So I've seen the post about the seller on Ebay who is located in Poland selling the three eyed headlight cluster. Unfortunately, his photos only show the up close headlight and the backside. Not sure if it really is the three lighted version I am after. (two parking and one headlight)

So, while I had my front end apart throwing in some other wiring, I discovered that even though we do not have the two parking lights next to the headlight, the harness is there and the bulb cavity is blocked off from the outside with chrome plastic. I also noticed that we have "chromed" out parking lamps to prevent light from coming through as well. Interesting to say the least....
So with that said, I do know that if I were to obtain the Euro version, it would be all plug and play. In my photo you can see the two parking light lamps with the right side removed. Notice the chromed out lamp....
So who else aside from the ebay guy would have this assembly?

Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Euro Headlight?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:48:03 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scheinwerfer-Kymco-Xciting-250-500-/380356639597?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item588f05bb6d

Did you see this one?  I can't vouch for it at all, though.  I found it once over a year ago when I was thinking of doing this to mine.  Never did it though.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:59:53 AM by Hoolander2 »

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:13:02 AM »
No, Actually I didn't see that one. Even still, the price with shipping would not make it a priority for me. It would be nice to have though... Wife thinks Me crazy for all the crap I do to my vehicles. Can't blame her. It's my OCD issues  8)
Thanks for the link as I saved it just in case  ;)
Simon

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:01:37 PM »
The guy from Poland used to have a good shot from the front showing the 3 lights in the reflector - but his picture doesn't display anymore (not for me at least).  I was looking at these just last night and I'm tempted to take the thing apart, remove the reflector where the bulbs are - and put some real bulbs in.  I really don't understand why Kymco didn't give everyone the working marker lights.  I also have to wonder why they put in chromed over bulbs that have wiring to them and in their contacts - do they actually draw juice for some reason?  Also - why did they put in the extra set of turn signal wires and connectors?  It makes me tempted to get some of the Downtown 300i mirrors and plug them into those.

FYI:  When you remove the front turn signal socket to change the bulb - there is a rubber o-ring which will fall out.  Don't lose it!  Don't ask...

I've got led bulbs to replace the turn signal bulbs and put them all onto "magic blinkers".  I'm waiting on an LED blinker relay before I replace them.  I'm guessing that the stock blinker relay is up behind the headlight.  I guess the easy way to find it is to use the blinkers and listen for it.  Hmmm - I'll miss the noisy blinker when I switch to LED - I might have to add a little buzzer...

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
Yes, I also thought about taking the headlight module apart (shouldn't be too hard if you're delicate with it) and cutting the reflector.  Then install some real bulbs.  But then you've got no reflector behind the bulbs.  I thought it wouldn't look very good.  Now if you're inventive enough and could find or make some sort of reflectors -- but now you're talking a lot of research and work that might still come out tacky. . .   All we really need is the euro reflector part which we could install into our module.   

My reflector has gotten hazy/smoky anyway and I either need to take apart and clean or replace. 

Edit to add:  It could be that the euro modules are out of production and no longer available which would explain why some sellers don't want to show the three light style in their pictures.  I think all euro 500s sold for the last couple years have gone to the whole new style fairing/lights. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:39:27 PM by Hoolander2 »

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »
The reflectors are multiple pieces - with some small screws/bolts holding them sandwiched together.  It couldn't be as easy as taking it apart, removing the blocking pieces, and putting it back together could it?  These things have been around for years - it seems incredible that no-one has been interested in this before us.  Making a reflector on a smooth surface is easy - the auto stores sell a self adhesive chrome repair or you can use 3m reflective tape.  On turn signals with no reflectors (common), I always add some reflective tape to the inside walls - no need to worry about being exact...

FWIW:  Lowes sells an O-Ring that can replace the Turn Signal O-Ring.  You have to pay 3 bucks to get the O-Ring assortment, the individual O-Rings are all too small.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 03:19:48 AM »
Ok, now I've gotta look at mine again.  Could have sworn my reflector was all one piece and I looked pretty hard.  :D

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 04:12:30 AM »
The reflector is one piece surrounding the headlight "bucket" reflector. Even if you were to dissasemble the unit and drill out for the two marker lights, not sure how it would come out. Better yet, not sure if the socket area is even chromed out. When all is said and done, it would probably be cheaper to just replace the thing!
Simon

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:03:42 PM »
There is a bucket reflector as you put it - around the headlight bulb.  Then on top of that is the reflector which you see close to the lens, which covers the chromed over bulbs.  But is the plastic below that cover shaped right for the bulbs, and is it reflective?  If it's shaped right - then making it reflective is easy enough.  I had to put my front end back on before I could try taking the headlight housing apart - but it sure seems like you could just take the housing apart and remove the blocking piece(s).

I still want to know what is up with the chromed over bulbs?  They have contact wires - so its as though they are powered but do nothing but make heat.  I used their power lines to power my magic blinkers so the front end comes off the same way as stock with just some extra wires held in place with the cable stays for the turn signal wires.

Hey - I tried to take the taillight lens off to swap the bulbs out with LED's - but after taking the 6 screws out the lens didn't want to budge.  Is there something else to remove, a secret place and direction to apply pressure, or did I forget to give it some secret hand signal?  I'm going to add magic blinkers and LED's to the rear turnsignals once I get me led flasher relay (I had one - but then I also have a 4 year old that helps me work on things).  I also have a couple of brake flashers that I think I can just add inside the rear lens on either side of the existing LED's - so the bike appears stock. 

FWIW:  The magicblinkers and LED bulbs make the bike look a lot better, and much more visible.  The BAU15S 18 LED replacement bulbs are as visible as the stock bulbs, but only use 1.38watts each, compared to 10watts each for the stock bulbs.  The lighting is more even - so I think they look better anyway. 
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=OTHER&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FBAU15S-x18-T.htm

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:40:45 PM »
I haven't taken the rear plastics apart (yet!) I like the LED concept. (added to favorites, thanks!)
Unfortunately, when I had the nose apart, I didn't think about taking the headlight assembly apart to see if the reflectors are there. I just assumed they weren't. I was on a one way mission to get the GPS wire in and get it assembled.
Simon

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 10:30:54 PM »
Ok, I took out my headlight module and had a real good look.  You can peer inside through a small strip along the bottom or the top where there's nothing blocking the view. The blocking sections are connected to each other across the bottom but should come out, no problem.  The cone around the marker bulbs is just black plastic and could be treated with chrome tape or something.  But you wouldn't get the exact same look as the euro reflector.  You'd be able to see into and around the sides and back of the headlight bucket when all is back together.  Also, the bucket has "wings" on either side which would partially block the marker lights.  These could be cut off I suppose. 

I decided I could live with a look like that (heck, it'd be unique!) so I tried to take it apart and invesigate further.  Well, they've used some sealer which is very sticky and I couldn't get it apart.  I started nicking the plastic along the seam and stopped.  Of course the nicks would not be visible once the module is back in the fairing. But still, that stuff is so sticky I was afraid I'd break things if I kept on. 

So, all we need is someone's advice on how to get that sealer to let go.  I didn't want to try any thinner figuring it would ruin the plastic.

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 01:04:42 AM »
I would think if the seal were broken, then the headlight may fog up. Probably not worth it. Thanks for looking into it. If I have money laying around, I may just replace the thing. Otherwise, it looks fine as it is... On another note, my TR6 fuel pump crapped out on me today. Between getting the tow bill and the fuel pump, I already blew about $100. It really isn't too bad. We drove cross country from Phoenix to Chicago onward to NY and back. I am glad the pump didn't let go during the trip!
Simon

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 01:17:15 AM »
Warm it up along the seams with a heat gun, and put gentle but constant pressure on it with a flat blade screwdriver to pry them apart.  I'd start at the underside of the skinny part (skinny part will pry easier, underside will be harder to see a nick).  I did this with the sealed taillight units on several bikes and scooters in order to add led's and such.  The first couple of times I did it I bought spare assemblies in case I didn't like how it came out - but I never used the spares for anything other than modifying one for someone else.  Of course - there's always the first time...

The easiest way to get a consistent reflective surface would be to use Krylon fusion metalic shimmer.  Reflective tape would be the brightest - but if it has odd shapes in it then you'll get the best look by painting it.  I switched some blinkers over to clear lenses once and got my best look by painting the black plastic inside the housing and then adding reflective tape on the smooth area.  I tried just using tape first but the black stood out.

These should fit in the sockets, be brighter than the intended bulbs, and only use about 1.5watts each instead of 5...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FWLED-xHP15-T.htm

I've seen a 194 mini wedge base for an round extremely bright LED panel with a wire lead to the 194 connector.  That might look better in it than a bulb.  Either way - I think using LED's and adding them to my magic blinker lines would be optimal...  I definately need to pull the thing out and play with it...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()