Author Topic: Scooter rider killed  (Read 3505 times)

AVGuy

• View Profile
Scooter rider killed
« on: October 29, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
Another scooter rider in our area was killed when hit by a car Thursday afternoon. In this case, the rider was preparing to turn left into her driveway and was struck from behind by a car.

In response to this, a friend of mine wrote and posted the following on Facebook. Rick has ridden motorcycles for years and has many stories to tell. He's also been a riding test administrator, fire fighter, scuba diver, skydiver and has had other adventurous occupations and hobbies, so he knows a thing or two about safety. This may be a little long, but please read and share with your friends, especially those who drive cages.

------------------------------------------------

Just this week in my area, a 33 year old women riding a scooter was turning into her driveway when she was struck from behind by another women driving a car.  The 33 year old was pronounced dead at the scene.  One life lost and most likely another life devastated.  Why?

I'm constantly hearing from my non-motorcyclist acquaintances about the dangers involved in riding a motorcycle and the same comments would by default also apply to scooters.  But what my sometimes well meaning friends never seem to realize is that the main reason riding a motorcycle can be dangerous is because of them.

A fact that can't really be argued because it has been studied and studied again is that 75% of motorcycle accidents involve two vehicles.  In 69%-75% of those two vehicle accidents, the fault for the accident lies with the operator of the other vehicle who fails to yield the right of way of the motorcycle; most typically by turning left in front of an oncoming bike or pulling out in the pathway of a bike.

The typical statement made by the driver of the vehicle is that they didn't see the motorcycle.  That may be true but it isn't relevant because as the driver of a vehicle you are 100% responsible for observing all types of vehicles that may be operating on a road.  The statement is an excuse and also an admission by the driver that they weren't looking for other vehicles and therefore failed to see what was clearly in sight.  Its a form of intentional blindness where a driver fails to operate their vehicle to the standards required and expected.

This lackadaisical and substandard operating of a vehicle under their control is a major reason why it can be dangerous to ride a two wheel motorized vehicle which is why virtually every motorcyclist operates their bikes under the theory that every car on the road is out to kill them.  Some would call this paranoia, but a person isn't paranoid when there are people who will through their own inattention, kill you.  It is a perfectly reasonable attitude under the circumstances and it isn't the bike riders who are responsible for it.

Scooter riders in many cases operate at an even greater disadvantages because their machines may be smaller and may travel at speeds below the posted limits.  At least most motorcycles are capable of traveling at the same speed as regular traffic.  Automobile drivers often consider scooters and for that matter bicycle riders a hindrance to their God Given rights to proceed unhindered.

In this they fail to take into account that both have a perfectly legal right of access to the road and by operating the larger, faster and potentially more dangerous vehicle, it is the automobile driver upon whom the greater responsibility lies.  It is a responsibility that a large number of drivers seem to ignore or explain away by making totally fraudulent claims to a greater right of access on the roads.  It's almost like saying; "Well they slowed me down so I have a right to kill them."  If that isn't it, then what is it?  At the very least, it is a pathological attitude.

In fact any vehicle with an engine 50cc's or bigger that operates on Indiana roads is required to be registered and have tags.  They pay an appropriate tax on both the license and fuel they use and the operators are required and have a special endorsement to operate their vehicle.  I'll also tell you that if car drivers had to take a test of similar difficulty to operate their cars as their two wheeled counterparts, there would be a lot fewer drivers on the road.

As problematic as all this is and it most certainly is; this doesn't include the legions of intentionally impaired drivers hurling their multi-ton vehicles around roads while impaired to the same degree as a legally drunk driver; in other words people driving while talking on cell phones.

Last time I bothered to look there were over 30 scientifically conducted studies which universally concluded that driving while using a cell phone impaired a driver to the same degree as a driver with a blood alcohol of 0.08 or legally drunk.  Ask any motorcyclist of their experience with cell phone yakking drivers and 99% will have a story.  Better yet, just ask anyone who drives a car.  And by the way, hands free calling doesn't improve the stats.  It is the focus on the conversation, not the method of the call that is the problem.

Drivers will steal the keys from a friend who has been drinking and give them a ride home and while doing so will think nothing of calling their friend on the cell phone about what they are doing....DUH!   Virtually every habitual cell phone user/driver I know will say they aren't impaired which reminds me of every drunk I know as well.

If it were up to me, everyone who uses a cell phone while driving would have their licenses suspended for a year and forced to take a responsible driver course.  Maybe we need training films like Blood on the Droid or Massacre on Motorola to get the point across.  The facts are in and people are just ignoring them which tells me that a person who continues to use a cell phone and drive really doesn't give a hoot about anyone else but themselves.  Give me one reason why a person who does this isn't saying to everyone; "My phone call is more important than your life or welfare."

Some people have gotten really angry with me about my views on cell phone usage and you know what, I don't care because that person has already demonstrated to me that they aren't concerned about anyone except themselves.  I will continue to push for bans until cell phone usage while driving is as unacceptable as drunk driving.

So to well meaning friends, before you get on your soapbox, stop and take an accounting of your own actions, then come back and maybe we will have a serious talk.  But until car drivers accept their responsibility when operating cars, I don't care to hear what you think.

Rick Williams 10/29/11
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

blue

• View Profile
Re: Scooter rider killed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »
Well said cell phones AND MAYBE EVEN TAKE RADIOS out of cars and thean women puting make-up on while driveing. all this can be done at home.and even smokeing in your car. A car or truck driver needs to be 100%. In michigan we have lost tomany scoot drivers this year so many my own wife dont like me driveing my scoot anymore.

Mike Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »
 The difficulty is that in the type of situation you mentioned, the drivers are never charged. The attitude seems to be that they have suffered enough due to the guilt from taking an innocent human life. True, they suffer, but they are also guilty of reckless homicide. Two relatively recent accidents near my house resulted in four dead and no charges pressed.  I suspect the possibility of serving a half-decade or so in jail AND suffering a lifetime of regret might get some folks to contemplate their ways  BEFORE they drive stupidly.
 To quote Jame Dean, “Take it easy driving– the life you save may be mine.”

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
I started riding motorcycles in 1960 and was advised by some wooly-headed old-timey riders to keep my head on a swivel and regard ANYONE else on the road as someone with my homicide on their mind. That advice served me well for over twenty years of riding and serves me well today on the scoot. There is no difference between a motorcycle and a scoot as far as see and be seen is concerned. I weep when anyone is killed. It just seems so pitiful when it happens when someone is doing what they enjoy. Riding to the store to get something the wife needs is a joy these days with the scoot. I still am constantly on guard and maybe that's why so many of us old guys are still around: we apply this philosophy to EVERYTHING. Other drivers will ALWAYS fail to see anything they hit: "I never saw him!" That was because your head was so far up yer a-- you could not see anything! Driving a car is so boring that people's minds drift. They are thinking about anything but what is happening, what is gonna happen and what could happen. Driving is second nature to most so they get busy with other stuff mentally. You can make all the laws you want it will change nothing.

Just keep your eyes moving and remember: THEY WANT TO KILL YOU!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
When my teenage son wanted to ride my scooter I told him to always ride as if he was completely invisible . When ever I approach another vehicle I assume they don't see me . This harms no one and has saved me on many occations . Good luck .

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
You got it, Juice-mom!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
drive the road like you own it dont give cars the right to pass you in the same lane a lot of scooter riders ride to far to the right and when cars pass they are right next to you not giveing you no room.

jas67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:51:47 PM »
drive the road like you own it dont give cars the right to pass you in the same lane a lot of scooter riders ride to far to the right and when cars pass they are right next to you not giveing you no room.

If you are on a 50cc scoot on a road with speed limits above your max speed, then you likely should yield to cars to pass when you can, just as you wood on a bicycle.   Or, better yet, keep it on roads 40 MPH and less.    If you need to frequently travel roads with > 40 MPH speed limits, it is probably time for a 125/150cc or 250cc scoot, because it is better if you can go the PREVAILING speed of traffic, so that no one is tempted to try to pass you.    Keeping up with traffic at least (usually) eliminates the danger of traffic trying to pass you in the same lane.
2007 People S 250
2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »
This happens every time I turn into my street from the highway.  I go to the right to make a right turn.  It is just habit born while driving.  Lately, I've been staying more to the center when riding into a right turn.  I don't know if it is wise or not.  Sometimes they pass fast and so close it's scary.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 12:12:49 AM »
My experience on my Agility125 is that it doesn't matter that I am riding at 'normal' car speeds. Many car drivers, when they see a scooter are immediately under the impression that it is going 30mph max and make their turn. So even when on a big scooter and riding in the middle of the lane, watch out for any vehicles about to make a turn. They might wait for a while and then do it right in front of you.

Just some days ago it happened to me again, and that was a close call! It was an older woman and she even stopped after I yelled and beeped at her. Guess what she said? She told me she didn't see me (bright yellow jacket with reflectors) and even had the cheek to tell me that I have to be more careful...

Cheers,
Emil

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 03:16:17 AM »
Well, she was correct, in a way. She didn't see you, as a threat to HER safety. I had a woman turn across me when on my Boulevard, considerably bigger than a scooter.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
Well, she was correct, in a way. She didn't see you, as a threat to HER safety. I had a woman turn across me when on my Boulevard, considerably bigger than a scooter.

No, there is a law in the US called failure to yield. She was guilty. Not seeing is no excuse. She would have got an old fashioned cussing from me.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »
Sorry, but I think you misinterpreted my post.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »
Sid , were you being facetious again ?

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Maybe he just wanted to say that on his cruiser he is a threat to public safety. Especially to harmless drivers who just want to make a turn.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()