Author Topic: Looking at buying an Agility 125, good or bad?  (Read 3967 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Looking at buying an Agility 125, good or bad?
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
G'day all, as I have sold my zx50 I am now looking at buying another bike or scooter for commuting to work and back. I have not yet decided which way I will go yet. I do like the scooter as they are more practical with storage and the ability to carry gear with them. I would like to go as large as possible with keeping the flat floor. Without the flat floor it will lose the ability to carry larger items. I am also of the opinion that without the flat floor, I may as well buy a bike. From what I have seen anything over 125cc loses the flat floor. With the Agility 125, what can current owners tell me about them. What are they like for commuting, what sort of speeds are they capable of, what is the handling like, reliability, what is the storage like? With this one, I will not be doing any mods to the engine, but may play with roller weights and clutch springs in the distant future if I feel it is needed. The one I have seen advertised is an Agility RS125, do these have much floor space?
Any input is appreciated.
Sid.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

axy

• View Profile
Re: Looking at buying an Agility 125, good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »
P300 has completely flat floor. P250's is slightly raised but flat and it does not detract anything from its hauling ability.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:36:33 PM »
You might take a look at the Genuine Stella . They are available in 2 or 4 stroke , but they have a manual clutch . Good luck .

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Buying Agility 125, any good?
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 06:43:12 PM »
Thanks axy, that is interesting, but I think they might be a little out of my price range, the Agility is $2,799.
Juice, I don't think we have the Genuine in Aus.

dalebor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:26:46 PM »
I've been riding motorcycles for about 40 years, and I still have two motorcycles, but I wanted a cheap reliable scooter for running errands around town. I bought my new Agility 125 six months ago. I picked the 125 because it was the cheapest conventionally styled 125 (not a big wheel scooter) I could find new that seemed to have decent build quality. I did not want a 50 because they barely have enough power to get out of their own way. In dense urban traffic, a bit of extra power is a safety feature. I've put about 1.3k km on it and it has turned out to be even better than I expected.

I put a milk crate on the rear rack and that lets me haul just about anything that I can reasonably haul on a scooter. The under seat storage is pretty decent but not big enough to hold a full face helmet. It may hold a 3/4 or half helmet. You'd have to check and see.

The good.

• small
  • light
  • Reasonably quick as long as you don't want to go over about 50 mph. For me that's just fine. In the city you rarely can go over 45 mph.
  • Reliable so far (nothing has failed yet)
  • Good gas mileage (80-85 mpg depending on how badly I misbehave with the throttle)
  • More stable than I expected it to be with only 12 inch tires.
  • Cheap to  buy and insure
  • Front disk brake is great. You can even do a stoppie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoppie) without too much effort.

The bad.

• small (I'm 6'3" tall and my legs are too long to completely fit behind the body work. I knew this when I bought it and I'm okay with it. Other tall people may not be happy.
  • Crappy suspension. Does not handle rough roads and pot holes well. Next year I may try to see if the after-market has any solutions for this.
  • The seat is not real comfortable but that may be because my long legs cause me to sit in the wrong place on the seat.
  • The drum rear brake is pretty bad. Since I don't use the rear brake all that much this is not a big deal but it still would be nice to have a decent rear brake.
  • Gas gauge is not all that useful. This is not all that important or unusual. I've never seen any motorcycle gas gauge that was useful. Still, some people, especially newbies, think that a gas gauge should actually tell you how much gas you have in your tank.
  • No trip odometer. This is sort of annoying as a trip odometer can be a reasonable substitute for the crappy gas gauge. I just write the odometer reading on the speedometer face with a grease pencil when I fill up. This is a low tech trip odometer

Dale B
Minneapolis MN USA

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 09:29:42 AM »
I've put over 15kkm on mine in just over a year, riding in snow and everything, it'll hit 20.000km
probably some time next week.

No issues.

Put fuel in and ride.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 11:24:41 AM »
Thanks for all the info Dale, it is a help. I thought the 125 would take a full face helmet, being that is what I wear, it is a setback.
The speed of 50mp/h is also a concern as on my daily ride to work I have a section of road that is 100km/h (62mp/h).
I am 5’9” so the size will be ok, after all, the ZX was ok for size.
I think the Kymcos are fairly reliable, the main problems I see on these forums is mainly carb related or electrical, in the 50’s the cdi seems to be a weak link.
You are right about the cheap to buy, this is a Kymco trait, I am going to look at a Yamaha Cygnus x 125, their price new is over $4,000, the Agility RS 125 is 2,799 ride away. The Cygnus I am going to look at tomorrow is a 2006 model, $2,200, 14,000 kms.
The rear drum brake, though not top notch, I think they still enhance the front brake so are not really useless, this is going by my ZX.
The suspension doesn’t sound too good.
I don’t place too much faith in a fuel gauge on a bike or scooter, but no trip meter is a big omission, that has always been my fuel gauge on bikes.

Hey Cortez, that sounds pretty good, though I don't know about snow, too cold for me. Goes to show, look after it and it will look after you.
Oh, and as for stoppies,,,, I think I will pass on that.:)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:27:40 AM by sidthesloth »

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »

;)

Had no choice.
Did some courier work with it.

Now I just ride it regardless of weather.. it's my main mode of transport so..

'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
OK fellas, time for an update.
We went to Adelaide yesterday to look for a scooter or bike. The first one I test rode was a Kymco super 8 125. This was a very nice looking scooter and rode very well. I was impressed with the pickup of it. I rode it down the street and around a few corners and I must say, the turning on it seemed a little odd, but I put that down to being a different scooter than what I was used to. Going back to the house, I stopped, then took off giving a reasonable amount of throttle and was surprised by the speed and ease with which it took off. This would have been the best buy of the ones I rode. I did not buy it as there was just no room for my feet, I had to hang them out the side, or turn them in uncomfortably. The Yamaha Cygnus X 125 was a slug, didn't want to idle, the bolts on the engine were rusty and the dealer would not negotiate. No sale.
Today, I took a Sym VS 125 for a ride, no where near the pickup of the super 8, but it was a nice smooth scooter to ride, it fit me the best of the three that I rode, so I ended up buying this one. The dealer at this place did negotiate price and put in a brand new battery, with a little persistance from me. ;) After looking for this scooter, i have come to the realisation that the Kymco ZX50 is a very under rated scooter.
Thank you all for your input, it all helps. With regard to the Agility 125, I didn't buy it as it just didn't get my attention the way I like a bike/scooter to.
Cheers,
Sid. :)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »
OK, I know it is not a Kymco, but a bit of an update all the same. I have been riding this scooter for a few days and find it nice to ride. It will do just on 100km/h. Having 17,000 kms on the clock I think the slowish takeoff could be due to cvt age. I would look at buying some new bits, but, I just went out yesterday and bought a 2011 Sym VS150 with 1,750km on it for $625. The catch is that it is a write off, scratched plastics and the rear wheel is out of alignment, a lot. The engine hanger seems to be bent, but that is replaceable. Tonight I took the clutch and belt out of the 150 and it all looks like brand new, which it is I guess. I will fit this lot to the 125 tomorrow if I get the chance.
The fun begins,,,,again. ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()