Author Topic: Freezing Winter Weather Gloves recommendations  (Read 6354 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Freezing Winter Weather Gloves recommendations
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I despise DRPA (and mistrust them) with my every breath. Opening an account with them would be the last thing I'd do -- though you are right -- it's a better idea. I guess I'm willing to take the bad weather than give them access to my credit card. If the weather is getting worse due to global warning I may have to swallow my pride one of these days.

-Wolf

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 12:35:32 AM »
They have my credit card for several years now.  Never had a problem.  I believe you can mail them a check when your bank runs low but I'm not sure about that.  I never have to wait in line. 
I have the hand guards installed now.  They do help some.  My summer (Leather from Barbs) gloves can now be worn for about 15 minutes, but not much longer.   Most of my rides are less than 5 mi. so they are good for me.  I really don't like wearing the heavy ski gloves.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
I know what you mean, I feel frustrated with thicker, heavier gloves, especially when I need to adjust the straps of my computer bag I wear like a backpack. I'm glad to hear that you've never had any problems with DRPA. A few months back a went through the tolls with the Cash light above it. There was no attendant in the booth. It was an EZ-pass both that they forgot to change the signs for. With cars backing up behind me I had to continue on. A few weeks later I received a ticket in the mail for $35.00.

I know one could say that I made a mistake and went into an EZ-pass lane, but I'm careful about which one I pull up to. I made no mistake, it was on them, but there was no way to prove it, so I had to pay it. I'm also not happy with the recent toll hike to 5 dollars, and worse to take PACTO would cost $5.20. Seems odd that public transportation is more expensive than commuting by road. Last, given all the mismanagement that DRPA has done in the past I'd prefer to have as little to do with them as possible. On principle I'm happy not to sign up as one of their customers.  

-Wolf  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:30:12 AM by ScooterWolf »

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »
My problem with them is that they use toll money for non-highway projects.  I don't like that my toll money helps big business with loans.  I never hear that the loans are paid off either.  Wait till the occupy people get wind of that.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »
My problem with them is that they use toll money for non-highway projects.  I don't like that my toll money helps big business with loans.  I never hear that the loans are paid off either.  Wait till the occupy people get wind of that.

But that has nothing to do with ez-pass and even less with cold weather gloves  ;)
Nevertheless I am not opposed to bitching about tolls and toll stations, so why not start another topic?

ScooterWolf: What mitts are you using? If you say your hands feel confined in them - although I can imagine that will always be kind of the case - maybe it's still worth researching if there are bigger ones around. If there are no bigger ones it would still be interesting to know which ones you have. I suspect not all of them do fit on a scooter.

I have made up my mind and ordered Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves for now and if that turns out not to be enough I will add mitts or heated glove liners or both.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 01:05:21 AM »
ScooterWolf: What mitts are you using? If you say your hands feel confined in them - although I can imagine that will always be kind of the case - maybe it's still worth researching if there are bigger ones around. If there are no bigger ones it would still be interesting to know which ones you have. I suspect not all of them do fit on a scooter.

I have made up my mind and ordered Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves for now and if that turns out not to be enough I will add mitts or heated glove liners or both.
[/quote]
Emil, those Tourmaster's look like they are heavy (thick), so I doubt that it would be very easy to reach into your pockets for tolls.  I still think EasyPass is needed.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 05:04:20 AM »
fshfindr, i don't mind if they're thick. also i don't have to pass a toll station and i have an ez-pass. the only reason i don't like it is because i feel that they are tracking me down. if i really had to pass a station without ez-pass i would either let everybody wait or carry the money in my mouth - definitely I wouldn't sacrifice my fingers for other people.
anyway, i hope the new gloves will be better than my crappy olympia gloves. just too bad i have to wait so long form them. stupid thanksgiving... oh, just reminds me - i have to finish the fight with my wife about finally not eating this over sized chicken this year.
-emil

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 09:15:52 PM »
Emil, you sound like a really nice guy.
 See Ya
Richard L. in Bellmawr

Dibber

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 01:51:31 AM »
My wife uses these little heat packs that you remove the plastic packaging and need or shake the pack and it produces heat.  She puts one in each mitten and in her boots and has never complained of the cold again.  You can find them in sporting goods stores and are used for hunting and ice fishing.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 02:53:55 AM »
well ,,,i don't experience the super cold you are talking about here in the ne...but it can get to the 20ies in the day.....and occasionally colder...

i have heard of the heat packs (they seem to work but can get kind of expensive if you ride every day....electric gloves seem to work for many (also can get electric liner for jacket/coat)....the problem with this is you need to be sure that your battery/electrical system is up to the challenge as the gloves will draw about 27 watts i understand and the jacket liner much more....

i personally use thin woolen gloves...you need the good ones...and over these i use ......ski mittens....water repellant ....these work fine for me....and i can grab the brakes and operate the throttle fine....my only problem is if i decide to stop for a coffee and a smoke i have to take them off.....

CommuterScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
Riding in the Pacific NW I have to contend with our "just above freezing and drizzle" weather most of the time from Nov-April.  When it does dip below freezing and there is a possibility of ice I don't ride and take the cage.  I've got a system down that I can stay plenty warm and dry in almost all conditions except for my hands.  My main concern is that I am wearing a proper pair of motorcycle gloves so that if I go down that my hands stand a chance.  My current gloves are Olympia Motosport's "Cold Throttle" gloves (probably wouldn't by them again, not for quality just function).  They are acceptable to 50* then the colder it gets the short amount of time I can wear them.  I tried some what I thought were thin glove liners under them and it became too tight which constricted blood flow and made my fingers even  cooler.  I tried a pair gauntlet overmit shells over my riding gloves and these worked well for keeping my hands warmer but wasn't totally comfortable with the lack of feeling for the controls.  Luckily I'm an outdoor gear geek so I often draw upon that heavily when dealing with the elements.  I decided to check REI to see what they had as far as liner options.  Alas this is what I found http://www.rei.com/product/661608/seirus-therma-lux-heat-pocket-liner-gloves You look like Micheal Jackson but the best part of these is the Chem warmer pocket.  What a difference.  They are thin, and with the warmer my hands stayed reasonably warm and comfortable.  Yes those warmer can be a bit expensive but Costco has them cheep for a big box.  This is just my system that works for me for temps in the upper 20's and above. 

As time goes on I may invest in some electric glove liners but for now and at least this year this might have to work.
09 Xciting 250

CommuterScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
UPDATE:

I've just added a pair of heated hand grips by Oxford called Heaterz http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=amp&Product_Code=TTLOXF-26-0696&Category_Code=motorcycle-gripsheated. I bought these from my local dealer and not this website.  Installation was pretty straight forward and took less then an hour.  I spent more time figuring out how and where to run the wires.  If anyone is interested I can try to leave a detail description and some pics for an Xciting 250.

Performance:  WOW! Nice toasty hands.  I actually have to turn them down a notch because they get so warm on my hands.  I have used them in 28* weather and that is when I turned them down a notch.  I wear my lightly insulated riding gloves and have no issues.  It has made a BIG difference in my overall comfort in riding, no more cold hands. 

A couple of notes is that I commute 5 days a week and have 20 mile each way ride with speeds up to 55mph, so I know I have ample time to keep the battery topped off and charged.
09 Xciting 250

melodys39

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 11:49:29 PM »

Is anybody here using electric gear? I was wondering how to do the wiring. Maybe drill some holes to access the battery and with a cable outlet in front of the seat. Or on the side?
Wish all that stuff was cheaper...

I am using Harley Davidson heated gloves. I run a wire from my pigtail that I use my Battery Tender on. It works real well.
'09 White Grandvista 250 "Dinky"

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()