Author Topic: Overflowed The Gas A Tad  (Read 1648 times)

Zorce

• View Profile
Overflowed The Gas A Tad
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »
Well, Over flowed the gas a little and it looked like it dripped down and came out my parking brake lever and down the plastic under the handle bars. Problem is it looked like it made a bleached looking strip where it dripped down.

Is there a way to fix the plastic without painting it or am I stuck with a streak?
Logic would be to have semi gas resistant panels where gas might drip.  :-\

Hard to believe one slight over fill scars it for life. Anyone else experience this>?
2007 Kymco Xciting 500
1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Overflowed The Gas A Tad
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:17:42 AM »
Fuel didn't harm the dark blue plastics of my Xciting.

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »
spray some silicone and wipe it down - maybe wash it properly first - also tire black work just fine.................

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 02:11:01 PM »
I use a spray on product by Maguire I get at Walmart.  I think it's called Interior Shine or close to that.  It works very well and it's fairly inexpensive.  Works well keeping all the black plastic looking good and it will take care of those streaks.

Zorce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try.
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 05:21:12 AM »
And by the way, I spray the product on a paper towel or cloth first -- then wipe that on the black parts.  That way I don't get overspray anywhere else.   ;)  That product will stay kind of wet for a day or two depending how heavy you apply it and will attract dust during that time.  But after it gets dry can be wiped with a damp cloth for a clean up. 

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 01:52:05 AM »
I have used a couple of different products purchased from scooter shops in San Antonio and Austin. They were made for just that problem and to shine and preserve the plastic. Keeps mine shiny.

I found one called Bike Spirits that could be used without washing first. It took off lots of bug goo and road grime from mine before it ran out. Check out your Kymco dealer.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

scooter65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:14:47 AM »
Zorce,
I have a 2009 Xciting 500 and that's been happening to me every time I fill up lately. I have been using Armoral and it seems to do pretty good. However when the sunlight is on it at just the right angle you can still see some of the black color loss. Might try one of the other chemicals mentioned in this post. An interesting thing about my fill ups lately. For a few months I had no problem with the gas pump shutting off as it does in my car when the gas gets to the top of the tank but lately it over flows every time now. I have noticed that the pump does not make a good covering of the gas hole but it never has but was never was over flowing till just the last few tank fill ups. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks, Scooter65

Zorce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 01:02:40 AM »
Well, I think it is a design flaw with the Xciting personally. They know its going to happen. Why couldnt they have redirected overflow elsewhere to the ground or something instead of it running out of the hand brake lever slot. Just stupid, in my opinion. Its one of the only gripes I have so far since I got it.
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
at some point kymco will re-design the location for the gas fill...on the xciting (and other models)...one of the selling points for me when i purchased the dt 300i was the location of the gas fill...it is down low with a closeable compartment....much harder to overfill and spill on the plastic...

some of the products mentioned above will work just fine, however you will have to re-do occasionally as you will notice a slight fad over time....another product i heard works very well is something called "back to black"////

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()