Author Topic: tune up on 03 s9 lc.  (Read 858 times)

embacy2006

• View Profile
tune up on 03 s9 lc.
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:14:01 AM »
looking to do a tune up on my 03 s9 lc scooter that just hit 5000 km. i noticed the coolant level is getting low. what all should i do for the tune up, which stuff to use and where to buy it. thanks

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
Re: tune up on 03 s9 lc.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:07:15 AM »
I would clean the air filter... You can basically throw it in the sink with dish soap and treat it like a sponge, rinse it really well then let it air dry.  Following that, drizzle a little oil on the filter and then wring it out and install.  A little oil on the filter is a good thing, as it helps trap dirt.

Change the spark plug.  The Super 9 manual is wrong - DO NOT use a BR6HSA... you'll ruin your engine.  It comes with a BR8HSA, which is fine.  I prefer a BR8HS.

Check the brake fluid level.  There is a little window on the brake master cylinder that you can look at to check that the little bubbles are present.

You can change the gear oil if you haven't already.  I use AMSOIL severe gear, 75W90.

For the coolant, I usually use DEX-COOL, because it's safe and generally recommended for aluminum parts.  The stock Super 9 cylinder is cast-iron, but the head, waterpump, thermostat housing and radiator are aluminum.  Plus, it's red, so it looks way cooler than the green stuff.

It's a good idea to also inspect the weep hole on the bottom of the waterpump and make sure that it looks clean, and that there's no residual stains from a possible coolant leak.  With 5000 kilometers on the bike, I doubt you'd have a problem, but it doesn't hurt to check and literally takes less than two seconds to bend over and look at it.

Check your drive belt, and roller weights.  They should also be fine, but if your bike is still restricted you  may be showing unusual wear in this area.  While you're in there you can check that the torque driver opens and closes freely, clean up the clutch, and put a dab of grease on the spring clip that goes around the driven gear (the one that moves out and engages the gear on the crankshaft). 

That's the basics.  You can always dive deeper into certain things, but if it's running good that's most of what you'll have to do for general upkeep.  I usually replace my drive belts around 9000 to 10,000 kilometers.

~Josh

Fill the tires.  Pretty basic, but a lot of people neglect tires. 

www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()